At what age is santa not real?...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Personally, the way I see the whole thing is that when there is so much 'magic' at Christmas, family, love, fun, why do I have to present a myth as reality to add to the commercial aspect? Because really, there isnt much more to Santa than "woo more presents"

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Music-dad said:
Also, my Father started a funny tradition with me when I was really young....I got a mysterious gift from: "The Phantom Pharter", I loved it so much, that I have gotten a gift from him every year since, and K is about to get her 5th one from him....
Heh.

When I was really little there was a toy - some silly game that only cost a few dollars at most - that I wanted more than anything else. I was an only child at the time, so Santa had a bigger budget than he did in later years; the tree wasn't lacking at all that year, but my parents hadn't understood that it was the one thing I had been looking forward to. If I had gotten that and nothing else I would have been content.

I was really disappointed. Really disappointed. I think there was some bawling involved - if Santa, who "sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake" hadn't understood that that was the one thing, then how could he be real?

The next morning it was there by the tree along with a note from Fred the Elf. Apparently Fred had various responsibilities and duties with Santa, and what with one thing and another he had forgotten to put it into the sleigh with the rest of the toys.

If he didn't streighten up during the year, Santa was going to be putting him on underwear and sock duty next year as a punishment; a fate that NO elf would want. :laugh:

Sure enough, next year I got some underwear (on time) and a note from Fred. He became a regular; if he had been good he got to give toys, but more often he wasn't able to overcome his mischevious, naughty nature and he was relegated to socks and underwear. It was fun trying to guess whether he'd been good or not that year.

It must have been convenient for my parents too - any time a present got mislabled or the tag fell off it was put down to Fred.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
AmyBelle said:
Personally, the way I see the whole thing is that when there is so much 'magic' at Christmas, family, love, fun, why do I have to present a myth as reality to add to the commercial aspect? Because really, there isnt much more to Santa than "woo more presents"
When I was little it was comforting to think that there was a great, big jolly someone who "sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake" all year long and who isn't as scary as Jesus (he's got holes in his hands and a bleeding crown of thorns! :eek: ) when there were monsters under the bed. What monster would come out of the closet if Santa was watching? They don't come out when adults are looking. :wink:

At Christmas it was fun. Everyone, not just the kids, got something from Santa, everyone got to participate. It's like Santa was Jesus's representative giving us gifts for his own birthday.

Looking back from my perspective as an adult I see things differently. All the gifts came from my parents; they were happy to see us happy, regardless of who got credit for the gifts. Maintaining the fiction was one more way of saying "I love you" to us.

It made me happy as a kid, but the memory of it and the meaning that I only understand as an adult are the real, enduring gifts.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Sirk said:
LOL. you are correct. Santa is NOT a part of every childhood. For some he is apart. :biglaugh: :wubclub:
Well, actually, santa IS appart of every childhood at some point. Until told otherwise, kids see santa plastered everywhere schools, malls, other kids, and until they are told that santa is not real, then santa is there. But yes, for some he is, for some he isn't.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
And it's true about Coca-Cola. Actually before Coca-Cola, Santa's suit was actually green! Coca-Cola turned him red! Oh the exploitation :eek:

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Actually my parents never even told us about santa. We didnt/dont get presents at Christmas so that's probably why. So whenever I saw "Santa" on posters or something like that I just ignored it.

They did however tell us to keep our mouths shut if someone came up to us asking about Santa.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I do actually think there's a time where kids don't really believe but they let you think that they do. I'm pretty sure I remember there being a time where I just pretended to believe even though I knew he wasn't real (I caught my mom doing all the work or something) just because of how much fun it was. Why ruin the fun just by being like "OH I know Santa isn't real I caught you!!!" Why not play along to keep to fun going? I don't think I thought I was going to lose presents or anything, just some of the fun. I would miss my mom doing Santa, and that's probably (maybe) what the other kids are thinking too. And also, even at that age, I think some kids are afraid to hurt their parent's feelings when they know how hard they're trying to make them happy.

Oh and wow about hannukah (sorry I probably butchered the spelling). I don't really know anything about it since I'm a Christmas person, but up until this thread I could have sworn with that holiday there were like ten days in a row you got a present or something like that. But I don't know. Could have sworn when learning about it that was how it went though. Weird. o__o

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
My parents both worked when I was growing up. They almost always had the holidays off.

My dad and mom went to extremes making santa fun it was really cool and some of the best family memories. Mom did the leters from santa and did the things in the house. Dad would have a friend sneaking around the outside with sliegh bells and stuff like that.

I do the same type of things now. Last year I climbed on the roof to mess up the snow and made deer tracks in the yard in the middle of the night on xmas eve.

For me its really about the family time. Looking through family pictures and telling stories (even some Santa stories) I was just as excited about the few toys I got as my kids are with the crazy amount of crap they get.

Actually when I was young we were not church going folks back then, for me at least, it was less about religion and more about family fun and time spent together.

This is making me miss my mom. I've got to stop or i"m gonna bawl like a little girl.

Bryan

I'm back

The point is FOR ME. Its about sharing moments, it about family time, its something fun I do with my family. Its not about the other crap.

I am not now, and have never criticized anyone else's Religion, Customs or Beliefs. I really dont understand why some people feel it is acceptable to do that. Knock it off ,,,,,,,,,,,,,(please)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my daughter is 6 and no where near not believing in Santa and when she's done believing she'll pretend she does for the sake of her bother and any younger siblings. We have a blended family, a large part of which is Jewish, we respect and celebrate their holidays and they respect and celebrate ours. My children will know the traditions/means of both religions and IMHO they will be better off because of it. Everybody should be free to follow whatever holiday traditions they like...all I ask is that those children who don't believe in Santa are also taught to respect the fact that a lot of kids do and don't ruin it for them. I don't think kids who are taught not to believe are suffering at all just like I don't agree that the kids who believe are being "lied" to. This thread has turned into a pissing match and honestly I think that's sad

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
fallon said:
I don't think kids who are taught not to believe are suffering at all just like I don't agree that the kids who believe are being "lied" to. This thread has turned into a pissing match and honestly I think that's sad
Couldn't have said it better myself, hence why I've stayed out of the whole conversation.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Dadu2004 said:
Couldn't have said it better myself, hence why I've stayed out of the whole conversation.
I had been planning on staying out of it after I saw the turn it took but I felt like I needed to add my 2 cents...lol

Katie

Nov 18, 2008
I struggle with this question myself. I think flat out lying might be confusing, it might make them jaded at a younger age. At the same time, it's fun to keep the belief alive as much as possible. I guess I'm a proponent of explaining the "Spirit of Santa." My family friend had a similar issue and started the whole "is Santa real?" question over at NO SPAM as well. I think in the end it comes down to each individual's family and the tradition they want to have - it's very personal and I don't think there will ever be a "right" answer.

Armywife0304

Nov 18, 2008
To answer the OP.
I think I was 8 when I found out Santa wasn't real. I knew on Christmas eve because I caught my grandfather putting things together (he didn't see me though) I pretended that Christmas, but I let them know before the next Christmas that the jig was up.
I never did let them know I caught grandpa in the living room until I was an adult though, lol.

I always thought it was a touching and caring thought about Santa Claus. Now that I am grown and married, we still participate in the whole Santa Claus thing, even though my spouse is Jewish. I go to midnight mass, he stays home with the kids. We celebrate Christmas, and Chanukah both.
My kids have the best of both worlds, and will be able to choose which they want to believe in when the time comes.

Oh another funny thing, since I grew up on a horse ranch. Not only did Santa bring me presents (only child) but I also got presents from pets. Most years my horse and my dog got me something, and my grandmother always made sure I got presents for them at Christmas too (like milk bones and horse treats) :)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
touche, Nicely played phil.

My response:

Then we dont go to the same nightclubs.

Bryan

1stmeridian

Nov 21, 2008
If you haven't watched the movie you should rent "stalking santa" and it is god for all belief levels. I think Santa should be there until they decide otherwise. No need to "break it to them". Let them enjoy while they can and learn to make their own decisions. Of course if you are as old as the guy in the movie and doing a documentary on it you might want to check in with reality a little bit from time to time.