At wits end!...

Rastie

Mar 19, 2008
my 19mth old son has started scratching, pinching, slapping and pulling hair. Most times hes does it when hes frustrated but can also do it when he is playing nicely along side his older sister, he'll just suddenly scratch or pull her hair while at the same time smiling??. I go down on his level and say no sternly but its like it doesnt compute with him and i have been doing this for 4 mths! :( Is it too early to use the time out option??? any help or advice would be very welcome

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
An idea, whenever he does it, aside from telling him "no" at eye level, remove him from whatever he is doing. If he's pulling his sibling's hair whenever they are playing then remove him from his sibling and the play area. "Time out" doesn't have to be called that. You might need to sit him down by himself for a minute to let him know that what he did was wrong.

Rastie

Mar 19, 2008
Your advice was great and is probably what i need to do now cause what i have been doing isnt working. I am most definitely going to start it tomorrow! Thank you very much Ali

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Let us know how it goes. I'm sure there are other ways to handle it. That's just what works in my house for my oldest.