Autism?...

AmynKayla

PF Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2012
Canada
Hi everyone. I hope you are doing well. Things are a bit of a roller coaster here right now. I recently took Kayla to a pediatrician and she spent about an hour with us and at the end of it all, tells me that Kayla has many classic signs of Autism Spectrum Disorder. She will not make eye contact, but I always chalked that up to being "shy". She will wave her hands when she gets excited. She has a hard time communicating what she is feeling but she isn't nonverbal. She still wets her pants. The outbursts and tantrums. Most of it we just thought were more behavioural than anything. It all started after meeting with the staff at her school as they had some "concerns". And I guess now I'm left wondering "what now?" Many of the behaviours, I wondered why we haven't made progress and yet some days it feels like we might just be getting through.

I am wondering about supplements and dietary changes and will meet with a dietician to not only help with that but also to be sure she's getting what she needs because she is so tiny. I thought that she was just slower growing than other kids her age but it has started to be more of a concern. She's never been a big eater so I try and make sure what she is eating is healthy.

Amy

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
"having many classic signs" is not conclusive. give it time and just try to work with her the best you can. let her progress a little older and re-evaluate with a more professional PHD, than just a regular pediatrician.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Honestly, she had a traumatic early life before you took custody of her, so it seems odd to me that all these behaviors are suddenly being attributed to autism instead. It's a trendy diagnosis. Unless they're suggesting some kind of therapy that would help her with specific behaviors and challenges that she has, it sounds like a far-fetched and dead end explanation for behaviors that have a more likely explanation.

Reynoldsfamily

May 19, 2021
just curious, how old is she.. and was she ever diagnosed? My boy is a year and 7 months. He doesn’t make a lot of eye contact and doesn’t listen to his name but he’s doing well in other areas. He babbles still. I’m worried about autism as well.

Beni_Alb

May 21, 2021
By what I read, she had a traumatic early life before you took custody of her, so it seems odd to me too that all these behaviors are suddenly being attributed to autism instead. Do more research, visit a doctor, a real one!