Baby seems to be crying a lot more lately... help!...

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
I am a new dad, just had my first son in December. He was fine until about 2 weeks ago he just cries and cries a lot now. He never cried so much until just recently.

Is there anything I should look out for? Anything I can do to help him not cry? Are his teeth coming in maybe?

Any kind of help would be great!!! Thanks a lot! I need all the help I can get.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
babies cry, and often there's little you can do to stop it.

In all seriousness, get ear plugs or use a MP3 player to help dampen the sound. The point is not to ignore or completely tune out a crying baby, just to help keep you from loosing your cool and sanity after hours or days of crying. :)

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
BenDavis503 said:
Is there anything I should look out for?
Yes, there is.
Assuming your wife is breastfeeding (and I REALLY hope she does for as long as possible!), she should try to figure out what the baby is sensitive to in HER diet.
I'd immediately exclude from the diet dairy (all of it, including dry milk in other foods as an ingredient). Dairy is one of the most common offenders.
Also, I'd quit soy, tomatoes, pineapples. Those guys are very well known for causing crying babies.
What I'd do is eating a home made food only with no spices or other 'provocative' ingredients.
Some babies react also to garlic, eggs, beans, eggplant, onion, citrus. So, just in case I'd try to stay away from most of it if not all. And then slowly I'd try to introduce one by one and see how it goes.

But for sure I'd eliminate dairy, soy, tomatoes and pineapples/oranges right away.

By the way, make sure you do NOT retract your baby foreskin whether he's intact or cut. It's very painful and can lead to infections, permanent nerve damage, scar tissue growth. That sure can make a baby cry! Make sure to tell your doctor the same.

Vaccines have BAD neuro-toxins in them. So, they may cause your baby become unbalanced as well. Make sure you look into vaccines very well before giving them to your little one. The are two threads about vaccines in the Debate forum.

Good luck and keep us updated.
yulia.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I would say that it is normal for them around this age to start getting colicky. If your wife is breastfeeding, try to stay away from caffeine and dairy as those can cause more gas. Gas drops are great and inexpesive.
If he is formual fed, he may be having a problem digesting it. That you would need help from someone else as I do not know much about formula.
Also holding the baby on your forearm with the palm of your hand in his belly helps to push out gas bubbles. Wear him in a baby wrap or sling. The skin to skin contact is known to lesson gas.
Good luck

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
BenDavis503 said:
I am a new dad, just had my first son in December. He was fine until about 2 weeks ago he just cries and cries a lot now. He never cried so much until just recently.

Is there anything I should look out for? Anything I can do to help him not cry? Are his teeth coming in maybe?

Any kind of help would be great!!! Thanks a lot! I need all the help I can get.

Does he have a fever? Is he pulling at his ears? He could be teething, or it could be an ear infection. As the others have mentioned, the breast milk or formula may not be agreeing with him. Does he spit up a lot? He could have GERD (reflux). You didn't give us much to go on.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Sadly, it's normal for babies to cry. Just do what you can to make him comfortable. Maybe he's too hot or too cold. Maybe he's hungry or has a belly ache. Or maybe he just wants to be swaddled. :)

Watch the video "The Happiest Baby On The Block".

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Oh, yes, and make sure your wife nurses him per his request and NOT on schedule. If he wants to nurse every 20 min or so at this age, nothing wrong with that ;)

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
I agree with everyone else. If breastfeeding have wife check the diet out. It could be colic, it could be a number of things...babies just cry sometimes too. Also, the teeth start to shift around that age and that can be what's bothering him too.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
oh, yes, totally forgot, tell your wife to also stay away from coffee and chocolate (two very big offenders).[/quote]

And broccoli too! :)