Baby shower for 2nd baby?...

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
So what do you guys think? I think that they say that you should only have a baby shower for the first one...but want to hear your thoughts.

For me, well, it's been 9 and a 1/2 years since the first baby, so it kind of feels like the first baby again. I didn't have a single baby item saved. Plus, this is my husbands first baby. That brings up another question, do you invite the guys?

Soooooo many people were asking us when we were going to have a shower and if they could plan one for us. I just felt weird about it. At the last minute, we decided to rent out pavilion at one of the beaches here and do a potluck/party/baby shower kind of thing. We only gave people a week or less notice, so I'm hoping nobody brings anything other than themselves and a dish to pass. My husband is related to most of the island, and I have NO IDEA how many people he invited. Hard to narrow your list down when you know everybody that lives here (5,000 people). you don't want to offend anyone.

Party is today! A couple beaches over from the one in my avatar. I'm hoping for a nice sunny day and no mosquitoes.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Good luck on your party!
I believe every baby needs a party, but if it is the 2nd in two years then it can be a wipes and diaper party, what parent and baby can't use those? Or a story book party?
In your case since it has been such a wide gaps in babies it is considered perfectly acceptable to have a second full on shower. As to whether or not to in in invite the guys, it's really just a matter of preference.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I think it's fine to have showers for all your babies, we have always had showers for our friends and sisters for each baby.

I had one baby shower 19 years ago,we hired a DJ and rented a hall fed our friends well, and had men and woman both. it was so much fun. I think everyone likes them, and has a good time.

Hope yours is wonderful

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hope your party goes great!!!

I don't know honestly lol, in MY opinion there's really nothing wrong with having a baby shower for every kid unless maybe they're one right directly after another. And like M2M said, even then you could always do diapers and wipes. :) I keep hearing different things. Lots of people keep asking me if I am going to have a shower and if they are invited etc and I just don't know. I am a little afraid to, because at the same time a few different people have told me that you only have a shower for your first kid unless your kids are like 5+ years apart. Baby number 2 and Eli will be almost four years apart, but honestly I kept absolutely nothing lol. We wont have a problem buying it all, but I can't say I wouldn't like having a shower anyway haha. I keep hearing different things so I just don't know what I will do personally.

I think you are 100% in the clear though, your kids are more than far enough apart and he's also your husbands first child, I would say absolutely for you with no worries.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
:D I guess I'm just funny.... If someone asked me if it would be ok to have a baby shower for more than the first I would say "Hell Yes!" But when it's me...I just feel funny. I didn't want people to bring gifts, I didn't want to ask for anything. I'm pretty much set anyhow. My son had EVERYTHING when he was a baby, but now I know they don't really need much. Much easier and cheaper this time!!!

The party went off really well. The beach was a little rough from all of the recent hurricanes passing by, but the kids loved the waves. We usually don't have much surf, so they were enjoying being tossed around a bit.

And in true 'island time' style, everyone was super late and the party lasted way beyond the time we said it was going to be (11am to 2pm). The first person showed up around 12:30, and the last person was out of there around 5pm. I knew it couldn't last much longer than that...the days are getting short, and all the skeeters come out at dusk.

It was really more like a party. Tons of food, plenty of drink (beer, rum, juice, sodas), music, dominoes, and a good blend of people. The food was the best present for me and the growing baby :D I have not learned how to cook 'West Indian' style, but I LOVE to eat it! Stewed chicken, salt fish balls, banana fritters, beans and rice, mac and cheese. Also had plenty of 'state side' kind of party food too.

I'm not sure how many people showed up. They came and went, but I would say about 75. There were a few gifts, but not a ton. So that made me feel a little more at ease. I haven't opened them yet, but from the weight of them, I'd guess there are lot of diapers and wipes. That is a 'sure thing', and they are really expensive here, so much appreciated.

Now I have to start with all of my thank you cards. It was a great party, and I'm still pooped!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's awesome! Sounds like it was a really good time. :) I'm happy everybody enjoyed themselves. You're making me hungry lol.

ClauJ

Feb 25, 2022
I am always up for a party and gathering. Especially now when I have kids, I don't have that much time. That is why I tend to use any excuse and socialize with people. And the baby gifts are an additional plus!

Uma

Sep 20, 2022
I think it is still ideal to have baby showers for your second baby because the same feeling as having a new one as you mentioned been a long time since your first baby. I just have a question is it should be organized by parents I thought since the beginning that it must be a surprise for the mommy-to-be.