Bad deal last night...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I was in the basement. DW was in the living room. Got a call from a neighbor. Chloe was in the road stopping traffic about 5 blocks away. I raced to the van and pulled out just as the neighbor pulled in with a wet Chloe in her PJ's. Whew.

She is so freaking quiet. Putting bells on the doors blocked them with chairs last night. So at least she would have to make some noise before she escaped. Gotta be careful not to make the locks so we cant escape in case of emergency.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Have you tried those cheap alarms for the doors that you can pick up at any store. My MIL had to do this when her mom lived with her cause she was a great escape artist also....

I am glad she is ok, that would have scared the bajesus outta me!!!!!

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Been on the hunt today for alarms today. Also talked to the local police to see if they had been educated on how to deal with Autistic people.

A few minutes ago I was playing with her and the dog in the yard. She probably had 50 yards on me. Boom strait for the road. Stood in the middle of the road until I grabbed her little arm and drug her back in to her room. This is a very recent turn of events. But one we had a feeling would happen before long.

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
wow.. i have no idea how to combat this other than what has already been said, alarms or bells on the door so you hear when she leaves the house.... I'm so glad she is okay

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow that's scary! :( I'm so glad she's okay. I would have been freaking OUT. I would definitely get one of those little door alarms. It basically just goes off whenever the door it is put on gets opened. My aunt had one for a foster child of hers that tried to run off and stuff too. I have never tried to get one myself, but I have heard they are easy enough to find. I really hope she drops this bad habit soon! How scary.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Father_0f_6 said:
Have you guys come up with a decision about the tracking device thing you were going to do for her?
Good question. I need to pull the trigger on that. I have been waffling becuase some unexpected things (Sewer lift station broke) came up which made us a little short. At best stretching our dollars.

There is still the unknown of will she keep it on. Or will she dammage it (bang it against the wall) I guess we need to do some testing. Thanks for reminding me.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
If you don't want to keep the front/back door locked incase you need to get out quickly, why don't you get a lock for your gate? Thats what we do when our children aren't ready to go out alone, you can get a postbox to go on your fence so the postman doesn't need to come through the gate either.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I have almost 3 acres of yard. Its not fenced. It does have a three wire barb going around. but thats very defeatable. The yard in front has a large hedge which is a effective barrier but there is a break in the hedge where the driveway leads out.

If we gated its quite far from the house. Would be a problem to walk to open for others. Not a bad idea just hard to get others to comply with.

Also IMHO somtimes the belief that a safety is in place when it is not is more dangerous than one that is nonexistent. For example. Us thinking the yard is gated when it isn't so we don't worry when she is there. As opposed to always worrying when she is there.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I know its probably "Inhumane" , but one of those remote control shocker collar's would really come in handy right now.

<I><SIZE size="75">Got to quit typing what I'm thinking</SIZE></I>

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Billy put one of those on once. But it was one where it catches the vibrations of the dogs bark.

He put it on and kept saying random sentences then "ow..it kinda hurts" "ow it hurt more that time" "OWWWWWW"

Me, I just told him to take it off and his response..."but it's fun"

wow billy...wow.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Father_0f_6 said:
Billy put one of those on once. But it was one where it catches the vibrations of the dogs bark.

He put it on and kept saying random sentences then "ow..it kinda hurts" "ow it hurt more that time" "OWWWWWW"

Me, I just told him to take it off and his response..."but it's fun"

wow billy...wow.

We bought Marley one of those shock collars and Lupan felt it was his duty to try it out before we used it on the dog. He set's it to 1 and zap.."it stings a little". Sets it to 2..."wow, I could feel that", set's it to three.....Jumping up and down "HOLY COW!", set's it to 4.... jumping up and down screaming "SHIT..SHIT..SHIT!" now that one I felt from 2 feet away. I have never laughed that hard in all my life, he didn't bother going all the way up to 7, can't say as I blame him!

Now he tried 2 other times after that and his response was the same as Billy's....."it is fun". OK sure if you say so.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Me and three stupid buddies sitting in my apt drinking. Jim had some 300,000 volt thing, or somthing like that.

You do it.

You think I'm chicken

Your a wuss.

You can write the end of the story yourselves. We all did it mutple times were a bunch of morons.

confused

May 4, 2010
if you have a dollar tree they sell them there for a dollar each..i use them works great

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I LOVE Dollar Tree! lol

They sell those door alarms there? That's crazy cheap. Wow. :)