Banning packed lunches -- seriously?...

pwsowner

PF Enthusiast
May 15, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I've never had real sardines, but considering how I like peas and even spinach from the garden, but hate both canned, I can just imagine how much better fresh sardines would be.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Someone has to be buying them in order for them to still be available for sale.
I don't know about that. I think a lot of things are on the market simply because they've always been on the market, and no one bothers to change the inventory. Remember twinkies? I don't think anyone bought those things for the last 20 years - until they quit making them, that is. Then people hoarded them for nostalgia. But no one really eats twinkies any more. And what about bologna? That was a staple when I was a kid, but I haven't seen a bologna sandwich in years. When you have a power outage and things start flying off the shelves, take a look at what's left behind. I'll bet it's bologna and lunchables!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA

I am totally aware of plenty of people that still eat these too. I hate bologna personally, and never was a fan of Twinkies, although I try not to keep too much crap food around my house in general anyway haha.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Not quite. Twinkies are like angel food with whipped cream inside. Hostess actually quit making them, and then suddenly there was a run on them. They were going for $50/box on eBay! Last I heard, they were making them again, but I don't think it will last. People don't want them to go away because they're kind of a cultural thing from back in the '80s, but no one actually eats them any more.

And bologna is not just processed meat... it's a particularly bland, disgusting kind of processed meat that everyone hates. Best described as a flat hotdog, I think. I mean Xero's reaction is literally everyone's reaction to bologna (pronounced the same as baloney). We all had it our lunches as kids (along with white bread, American cheese and too much mayonnaise), but no one liked it. Perhaps there are those people who buy whatever the cheapest product is (especially if they're not serving it to themselves), but that's not really demand for the specific product. They'd just buy the next cheapest thing if it disappeared.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
But companies don't producce products that don't sell, that's how you lose money, not make. There has to be a demand.
Stores do not order items there is no consumer demand for, if they are purchasing product only to dispose of it, then they lose money.
Manufacturers do not continue production on products that do not have demand in stores, otherwise the product just sits there and they lose money.

It doesn't matter what the force behind the demand is, nostalgia, low price, convenience, natural disaster hysteria, there has to be a demand for the product to survive. To say that no one eats it is just untrue.

pwsowner

PF Enthusiast
May 15, 2013
Ontario, Canada
My father loves bologna. I eat processed lunch meats now and then, but not often because the chemicals they use to preserve it gives me a headache.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My husband actually likes bologna, weirdo lol. It's so gross. My dad likes it too, actually. Maybe it's a man thing haha.

My grandpa actually really enjoys Spam. Ew!!!!!!

And yeah, as much as I'd like to say that nobody eats that crap anymore, I'm pretty sure they do. I think it's a lot less popular these days, thankfully, it is becoming a lot more popular to pay attention to nutrition and eating healthy and such. People still eat it though. If literally nobody did, then obviously they couldn't keep it on the shelves. Just not a possibility.

As far as Hostess goes, they shut down because they went bankrupt and they were so heavily unionized that the labor costs were driving them into the ground. They tried very hard for workplace reform, but the union wasn't having any kind of changes or cost cuts. They pretty much said "take these pay/benefit cuts or we will have to shut down", the union didn't accept, they shut down. But yeah, it didn't help that they went bankrupt in the first place due to the junk food fad kinda fading out. From what I read though, it was ultimately because the union wrecked them financially.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Yes, I realize it was a union thing, but when the rights to sell certain products were sold, twinkies didn't get taken by anyone... until much, much later.

All the department stores up here start selling t-shirts and shorts from March to September. Literally no one buys them. The stores take huge losses on it. But the inventory is determined by a corporate office in the northwest U.S., and regional demand is not considered. For that same reason I suppose, we get tons of fresh produce that literally never gets sold, because all of it is moldy by the time it reaches Alaska. It's sits out on the shelves moldy, then gets tossed because it doesn't sell. Certain fruit like imported strawberries will actually never make it here in edible condition. There's no way. But the stores just keep getting their produce from northwest farms, and won't buy local produce because their corporate headquarters don't have arrangements with local growers. So... moldy food, zero demand, no sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they were throwing out expired twinkies and bologna all the time too! Unfortunately, demand isn't always what determines inventory.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Right, but just because the stuff doesn't sell on Alaska shelves, doesn't mean it doesn't sell in other places. Hence why the companies are able to continue selling the stuff.

I like that the stores around here have been selling local produce for awhile. I think everybody should do it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
cybele said:
This is not the norm why?
I wouldn't really know, but I would assume that some things are cheaper to buy elsewhere, or just don't grow in the area (like bananas). I'm sure, for instance, the big corporate businesses prefer to buy bulk oranges super cheap from like, Mexico (I don't really think we grow oranges here either, but I could be wrong). That's just business for you. It's just as easy to drive to one of the local fruit/veggie stands anyway though. I just think that the local stuff should also be in big business stores.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Large national corporations have contracts with producers and distributors, and I suppose it's not worth negotiating a separate contract for such a small population. For instance, all the milk products used to be supplied by local dairies, but eventually they couldn't meet demand, so they had to start supplementing stock with imports from Washington. Well, if you're already shipping some from Washington, it's easier and/or cheaper (apparently) to just get the whole inventory from Washington. So that's where we get it now. No local dairy at the big stores. The local farmers put together their own dairy business and sell to small local stores, but they're not doing very well. It's a logistics thing.

And I hate bologna so much I'm determined to blame its existence on logistical problems too!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Our 'big two' are starting to do that actually. Most of their products are being replaced with store brand, with most products coming from China, Thailand, Philippines and Mexico.

I'm lucky enough to have an independent grocers store where I live, it's only a small one, but they stock all the necessities and a "farmers shed" behind it that opens 7 days a week and is like a farmers market in a way, all local produce, MUCH cheaper for the consumer (and some of the most delicious cheeses, I can't eat ricotta from anywhere else now, I can taste that it is old).
For big shops we have a large independent supermarket at the bottom of the mountain that I go to once a month. I just can't justify shopping at Coles or Woolworths anymore. Their treatment of their farmers is just appalling.

Andrew W.

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2013
Missouri
akmom said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they were throwing out expired twinkies and bologna all the time too!
I don't think even the first Twinkies ever made would have reached their expiration date yet. Wouldn't that be somewhere in the 23rd century?

pwsowner

PF Enthusiast
May 15, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Andrew W. said:
I don't think even the first Twinkies ever made would have reached their expiration date yet. Wouldn't that be somewhere in the 23rd century?
lol
With the chemicals used in food production, you never know.

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
Ellies school has a canteen and she buys her lunch every day but I don't really know what she buys we have a price list on the fridge and there is some good stuff and some bad stuff I will ask her

ella

PF Regular
Feb 17, 2014
I never liked school lunches. If I had to eat them I would waste most of it. I think that this is ridiculous as well.

coreb2team4

Oct 31, 2014
Hello!

Please take this survey if you are a parent of children between the ages of 2-7 years old! My team and I currently doing a semester long project for a new product and we need survey results!

https://qtrial2014az1.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3mDwmHGs3GgS6up[/url]

Thanks in advance!