Barbie + models + ballerina's = Body image issues?...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Yes, I read Peggy Orenstein's "Cinderella Ate My Daughter". I grew up with Barbie, Seventeen and Sassy Magazines, among everything else that has been targeted as a cause for body image issues in kids. I never had any issues. The only thing I wished I had was wider hips and smoother skin (I have ichthyosis) and less hair stomach. I knew I was thin little thing. It was when I took modelling classes at a modelling agency in town that I started to understand more about who really controls what we see in ads and T.V. and why the models are so thin and what it really takes to be a model. Let me tell ya, it's not too far off what you see in America's Top Model. I used to be really into that show until it got too gimmicky and Tyra started to seem like she's been going through some mid life crisis.

I'm going to lay it straight, the loudest voice to a child really is their parents. They look up to us like we're gods. Think about how many times you say you need to go on a diet or how fat you feel. Or how about when you criticize that large woman's purchases at the check out at the grocers. I'm guilty of it myself, but I also don't care. I like being a bit heavier. I'm not always cold and need to wear socks at night. I've gone out in the middle of winter with just a sweater. And best of all I don't get annoying cat calls anymore. I really don't miss that. So awkward.

When I was playing with Barbie back in the 80's and 90's, I found her body rather unflattering and unrealistic and thought it was gross her boobs were pointy and huge. Her rubber legs made it a pain to get her clothes on and other doll clothes wouldn't fit her. I think I tore another doll's clothes trying to pry them on her. I gotta say, Barbie's fashions were so pretty and cool to me. I was happy just to dress her up and decorate the Barbie pool and house and camper. I never viewed Barbie as skinny as not only did she have huge knockers but a huge rib cage which amplified her boobs even more.
In Peggy's book, she criticizes Monster High Dolls as being worse because they are even skinnier and promote a lazy, superficial life for girls, because, I believe it was, Clawdeen Wolf, who has written in her bio book that comes with the doll, "she hates gym because she can't wear her high heels". Okay, for a mom who's been raising a balanced daughter, in regards to gender equality, I think that is ... not the message I want to send to my daughter. And, she says the Monster High dolls are thinner than Barbie. Well...duh, they are undead. Look at Skelita, she is all bones, because she is a skeleton. But then again, these dolls don't really teach girls anything because girls don't pay attention to that a whole lot. They know it's just a doll. The dolls are smaller, too, does that mean girls are going to think it's realistic to be only dolls sized (whatever Barbie's height is, I didn't measure her)?

Now I really want to discuss modelling. Like I said, I went to modelling classes (yes, there are such things) and I had no idea how much there was to cover. The classes go on for as long as a regular school year. They even book in shows and you go to photo shoots. It was really fun, and there was some work and a lot of learning to be done. I got learn how important it is to pay attention to dates and rehearsals. My first show was a hair show at the convention centre in town. I didn't realize there was a recital I had to go to and I had no clue what they were going to do to my hair or what I was supposed to do. Try a 90's uneven bob, permed. My mom didn't know how to treat a perm and I didn't think to listen to the staff when they said DO NOT WASH FOR A DAY. My mom MADE me wash my hair and redo the style as always, so I know how to replicate it. I nearly fried my hair. Thanks mom. In other classes, we learned how much attention to how you dress, have your hair and how much make up you wear depends on where in the world your interview is. Seriously, in different parts of the world they expect you to look a certain way that is different depending on the country. That doesn't mean altering permanently. For example, in Japan they may prefer hair pulled back in a pony tail, fresh faced and neutral clothes, whereas in milan, they may like hair down, a bit of light eye make-up and a heavy lipstick with trendy clothes, hypothetically speaking.
You get taught how to put on make up properly, different tricks to get clothes to fit you during a runway show or photo shoot. You wouldn't believe the stuff the models have to do to get the clothes to look right (clips holding excess material in the back, hair spray to keep something from malfunctioning). They even teach you a bit about self defense. There is so much to remember to take with you. You have a bag to bring with you everywhere, just like a dancer's bag.
Most of the offensive stuff happens when the advertisers want to alter your body into some mutant with photoshop. And if you want to get mad about all the skinny models you see, blame the designers for making their sample sizes being size 2 or 0.

I was always more into the fashion and décor. My daughter is more of a Transformers gal. She never really played with Barbies except if it had to do with her horses. She has more horse figurines than all the dolls she's ever received in her life. I collect Monster High, Ever After High and collectable Barbies now. I was the one playing with all her dolls, anyways, while she just rolled her eyes and continued on her race to save the young foal.

My daughter is really curvy, pear-shaped and she's been heckled about it in school and gaped at by other parents. Nonetheless, she is comfortable in her own body. So even with my relaxed view on an uptight subject, I must have been doing something right.;)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I don't know about barbies and ballerinas, my daughter doesn't seem very concerned about them. But I am worried about one thing - my daughter does gymnastics, and although it doesn't really affect her yet, I've noticed that there is a lot of pressure on the older girls to maintain their bodies in perfect shape. To the point where I've seen a teenage girl at the club berated for putting on a few kilos over the December holidays. Surely that can't be healthy?

Making my daughter give up gymnastics isn't a solution I'm willing to consider, but I think I should be doing something to prepare her for when she will come under that pressure...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
singledad said:
I don't know about barbies and ballerinas, my daughter doesn't seem very concerned about them. But I am worried about one thing - my daughter does gymnastics, and although it doesn't really affect her yet, I've noticed that there is a lot of pressure on the older girls to maintain their bodies in perfect shape. To the point where I've seen a teenage girl at the club berated for putting on a few kilos over the December holidays. Surely that can't be healthy?

Making my daughter give up gymnastics isn't a solution I'm willing to consider, but I think I should be doing something to prepare her for when she will come under that pressure...
I understand the pressure. It can feel like coaches and instructors want you to lose pounds any way possible, no matter what. But that's not true, as much as it seems. Even in modelling, we were told that if you are known to be anorexic or exhibit signs of an eating disorder or abusing substances, you will not get jobs.

My suggestion to you is be diligent with this. If your daughter feels pressure to lose weight, you can try explaining to her that it is not a pressure for her to be thin, but to stay on track with her fitness. Since she is in gymnastics, she is already getting vigorous workouts and going to lose any excess weight from the holidays. Also, she is growing and sometimes teenagers or preteens will gain a bit of weight and then grow into it later. It is not the time to diet. It is a critical time and in no way is it time to deprive her of vitamins and minerals and metals, or fats.
I think, sometimes, coaches have gold medals on the brain and they are so focused on the next win they don't realize exactly what they are saying or how they are coming across. If you feel that unnecessary pressure on weight loss or whatever, talk to the coach and bring up what you have been noticing what it's doing to the team. Then that, at least, gets the coach time to correct themselves and get on the same page as the parents.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
The sports ones get tricky.

My oldest quit ballet when she was a teenager because, well to put it bluntly she developed a body shape that was not considered 'compatible' with that of a ballerina. Nothing to do with weight, it was just genetic, takes after my mother in law. That was pretty hard on her, but she was old enough ad secure enough in herself to not be phased about it, it wasn't something she wanted to pursue professionally so she moved on to other things.

Likewise, #3 did gymnastics, body shape has never been an issue for her, she takes after me and I'm from the adults who can fit into children's clothes and have other people rest their arms on our heads species of humans, but I did witness some of the other girls struggle with it, especially once puberty hit. I think it's a ridiculous amount of pressure for kids who are doing this for sport's sake, rather than wanting something professional about it. Eventually she stopped enjoying the studio she was with because "for the sake of sport and fun" wasn't so much an option and if you weren't aiming for the Olympics then there was something wrong with you, and she left and is now off at circus school doing acrobatics, which she is enjoying more, no body image issues and it's all about fun. Also she has discovered stilts so she thinks that's wonderful.

I think what I'm getting at is that you can become 'immune' to those pressures if it isn't your whole world. I think we skated past the problems that it can cause because it was just something they did, rather than who they are, which is an easy trap to fall into with sports that are put up on that more 'serious' pedestal. I've seen a lot of girls (and boys too) who didn't do ballet, they were ballerinas, they didn't do gymnastics, they were gymnasts, and that's all fine and dandy for someone who is older, but it's a lot of pressure and it becomes very identity consuming for a child.

We always had other things going on. If you had to end one of those things your whole world didn't collapse around you, you still had other hobbies, talents, interests and so on.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Personally, I don't feel like barbies impact girls' sense of body image. She is just a toy. I don't remember wanting to be like any of my toys. Perhaps models have an impact on body image, but how often do young kids or even teenagers look at them? I don't know... I don't remember ever reading magazines like that when I was a kid. Maybe.

I never got that competitive in sports, so there was no pressure on me personally to be physically "perfect." All the sports my daughter has done have been pretty low-key as well. They seem more focused on getting kids to learn to enjoy fitness than competing. So that's my experience with it.

When I was a kid, we were raised that a person's appearance was not important and should never be mentioned. Now we are looking at an obesity epidemic, and I'm starting to think maybe we need to open the dialogue. At least among parents. How do you do that without opening up that can of worms that is body image issues? I'm not sure. Delicately, I imagine.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
artmom said:
My suggestion to you is be diligent with this. If your daughter feels pressure to lose weight, you can try explaining to her that it is not a pressure for her to be thin, but to stay on track with her fitness. Since she is in gymnastics, she is already getting vigorous workouts and going to lose any excess weight from the holidays. Also, she is growing and sometimes teenagers or preteens will gain a bit of weight and then grow into it later. It is not the time to diet. It is a critical time and in no way is it time to deprive her of vitamins and minerals and metals, or fats.
I think, sometimes, coaches have gold medals on the brain and they are so focused on the next win they don't realize exactly what they are saying or how they are coming across. If you feel that unnecessary pressure on weight loss or whatever, talk to the coach and bring up what you have been noticing what it's doing to the team. Then that, at least, gets the coach time to correct themselves and get on the same page as the parents.
Thanks for the advice.

My daughter takes her gymnastics very seriously, and she has developed quite a competitive streak. I'm not always sure how I feel about that, but thus far it hasn't given me too much cause for concern, so I let her be. But as she is progressing, the pressure is mounting - not only in terms of her skills, but also in terms of her physical conditioning. Fortunately, as you say, training alone is enough to keep her in the shape she needs to be in. I don't believe in artificial "diets" anyway (especially not for a growing child). I believe that you need to find a lifestyle that works for your body and stick with it. Being a guy, I just feel a bit lost when it comes to young girls and body issues...

The club she is at is very serious and they do train some of the top gymnasts in the country, so yes, some of the coaches have only medals on the brain. Thankfully, they are a little softer on the younger girls, like my daughter. I will definitely talk to the coaches if I ever feel that they are putting unhealthy pressure on my DD...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
I think its the age of extremes, its either starving to be thin, or clinical obesity of epidemic levels. Neither is good.

As for sports, lets be honest -- there is no "one size fits all". So if your body is not of a gymnast, get over it -- maybe try kickboxing instead. And after all, VERY FEW people are cut out to be professional sportsmen.