Bassinet...

Osh77

Apr 27, 2020
I'm looking for some practical advice on using a bassinet. I co-slept with my first, but I'd like this little guy to be comfortable in his own sleeping space outside our bed, but in our room. 

I guess I struggle with figuring out which whimpers are early "I'm hungry" signs and which are "I'll settle back to sleep with a little time." Do you just ignore baby until he is legitimately crying and upset? I wake with every sound he makes, so I don't get any sleep (newborns are noisy!). When he's sleeping next to me he sleeps soundly and I wake to his early feeding cues.

Co-sleeping makes my husband nervous and we also have only so much space in the bed. I sleep better with baby right next to me, because baby sleeps better, but I do often end up sleeping at a weird angle hurting my neck or shoulders. 

So how does one put baby to sleep in a bassinet in these early days? Nurse baby to sleep, put him down... And if he wakes? I'm BFing, and he's struggling to stay awake for a full nursing session so his meals are sometimes every 3 hours and sometimes clustered.

I did just get an in bed co-sleeper to test out tonight, but I would like to get baby sleeping in his bassinet.

Baby is 4 days old. I'm pro co-sleeping, pro crib-sleeping, pro whatever-works-for-you, but I'm specifically looking for advice on getting baby sleeping in his own space (and getting some sleep myself). I know some recommend the Arm's Reach co-sleeper like this https://www.evababygear.com/best-baby-bassinets/, but I don't plan to get one.

Thanks for any insight. I realize it might seem like a stupid question!

Karkes

May 19, 2020
baby is just 4vyears old!! at this stage, the baby needs more n more love from their parents! especially from their mother! sleep beside her at least for 6 or 8 months. she will feel very comfortable and happy with your presence only.

Kamila Nowak

Sep 8, 2022
First of all, it should be comfortable for the mother and the baby. If they both get enough sleep, the husband will only benefit from it. The husband can sleep separately for a month if he is disturbed by the newborn. If this is the first child, let him get used to the fact that everyday life will be a bit different now :)