Bed time...

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
cybele said:
Personally, by that age I expect them to self-regulate their bedtimes.
When I was that age, the rule was that I could decide for myself at what time I went to bed, but I had to get up at 7, so if I decided to stay up late, I still had to get up at 7 and was tired the next day. That way I learned soon enough that going to bed at a decent hour was important.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
page16 said:
When I was that age, the rule was that I could decide for myself at what time I went to bed, but I had to get up at 7, so if I decided to stay up late, I still had to get up at 7 and was tired the next day. That way I learned soon enough that going to bed at a decent hour was important.
Yep, same deal with my kids, they need to be up for school so, well, they have to get up. They learn.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
I agree, and I think at that age, forcing them to go to bed could do far more harm than good.

Groggy1

Nov 5, 2014
In their room by 10, go to sleep whenever, I'm waking you up at 6:50 for school!!! Better be read to roll....:D

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
Groggy1 said:
In their room by 10, go to sleep whenever, I'm waking you up at 6:50 for school!!! Better be read to roll....:D
Ha, the burning question... Do you let them sleep in on the weekends and stay up later?

Groggy1

Nov 5, 2014
page16 said:
Ha, the burning question... Do you let them sleep in on the weekends and stay up later?

Yes, but the rule was that I better not hear them when I went to bed. Sunday night was the back to 10pm room time. Summers that went out the window. Home by 10.

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
there is no particular time which is best. I agree with the self regulating factor at that age area, with the potential consequences that come with. most proper to guide and suggest, but not demand. of course they could sleep in on the weekend. wouldn't you if you could?