Beds Recalled After Roseville Boy's Death...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The federal government on Thursday issued a voluntary recall of two styles of children's beds after the death of a 22-month-old Roseville boy.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, working in cooperation with Bayside Furnishings of San Diego, issued a recall of the LaJolla Boat Bed and Pirates of the Caribbean Twin Trundle Bed. About 9,350 beds are involved.

The government said lid supports on bed toy chests fail to prevent the lid from closing too quickly, posing an entrapment and strangulation hazard to young children.

Consumers should stop using the beds immediately and contact the firm for instructions on receiving a free repair kit with replacement lid supports, the government said.

Last October, a toddler was strangled when the lid of the toy chest fell on the back of his head and entrapped his neck on the edge of the chest of a LaJolla Boat Bed.

The LaJolla Boat Bed toy chest has a hardwood top and white wood base
with a blue stripe. The Pirates of the Caribbean bed toy chest has a hardwood top, wheel shape and brown wood base with decorative carvings.

The beds have been sold at Costco, furniture retail stores nationwide and Costco.com from January 2006 through May 2008 for between $700 and $1,400. The beds are made in China.

<I>Contact Bayside at 877-494-2536 for the free repair kit.</I>

Beds Recalled After Roseville Boy's Death - KCRA News Story - KCRA Sacramento

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
OMG! I have to say I can't imagine a (supposedly) plastic lid being so heavy as to strangle a child! If that's the case, OMG, why did they put them on the market? Do they not know how curious toddlers are?