Been gone for a little while...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Okay a week or so.

Last Friday my Dad passed away, his funeral was today. I don't know what went on there, a month or so ago the doctors were saying he had up to a year, but he just deteriorated very quickly, apparently that isn't unusual with pancreatic cancer though.

It was a hard week, my mother flat out refused to plan the funeral, she was happy to put her demands in, but she didn't want to do any of the work involved. I can understand that from one view, really, no one wants to plan their partner's funeral, but it came down to me and Grandma and she made the whole process very difficult. She didn't want Grandma to do the eulogy, but she didn't want to do it, and she told me that she didn't want the people from the church to see me and know that I was their daughter. Grandma ended up doing it, and Mum criticised it.
I tried really hard to incorporate all the religious elements Mum wanted, but I don't have that knowledge of their religion and faith to have done ti justice apparently. I tried.

Ash and Dita weren't allowed to be there, as per Dad's wishes apparently, I don't know if that was really his wishes or Mum's, but I wasn't up for the argument. It very well could have been Dad's wishes. None of the kids went, Sasha didn't really know him and the other's don't have fond memories. I rather them be at school anyway.

Following the burial I was told by the priest that my mother didn't want me to attend the wake at the church hall, he was really uncomfortable, the poor guy, I don't blame him at all, he's just the messenger, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't feel sad, just frustrated and exhausted. I don't know if it has really hit yet because I have been so pre-occupied with being bossed around all week. I don't know what is going to happen with my mother either.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Awe, I'm sorry. I mean I know there was no real love loss here, but he was your dad.

I can say that I'm not sure I would have went. If someone is that spiteful, even in death (or partner is), I know it's not where I'd want to be.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing by attending and accommodating your mom's wishes. A funeral is not something you get to do over.

What she does with her life now is up to her. Hopefully she does not see your recent helpfulness as a precedent, and you are able to establish the boundaries you need to stay happy and be dedicated to your own family. But sometimes, hard times make people better. Who knows?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
How unpleasant. :( I am glad all of that is over for you. I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. You are the bigger person for being there at all, let alone helping like you did.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I'm sorry for your loss, Cybele... but I'm even more sorry for the difficult time your mom put you through, since I sense that the loss wasn't that big.

I agree with AKmom about what happens to your mother now... it's up to her. I really don't think you should allow her to bully you into sacrificing the peace and happiness you had worked so hard to acquire, just because she believes you owe her something.

On another forum I am a member of, someone recently wrote a really powerful post about family vs. relatives. I can't find it now to quote it exactly, but it comes down to this:

Relatives are those people who you are related to in blood.

Family are those people who you can count on to always be there, those who will always have your back. Family are those people who will always give you what you need, even if it isn't what you want, and without expecting anything in return.

Not all relatives are necessarily family, and not all family need necessarily be relatives. More significantly - just being a relative doesn't entitle anyone to demanding anything from you. Being family usually means they won't have to demand - you will be ready to give without being asked.

I hope you can figure out where your mom fits in, and what you owe to her...