Behavior problems?...

LisaW

Jan 25, 2008
Nevada
My 8 year old daughter has become a complete mystery to me. :confused: She yells at people when she gets frustrated and it doesn't seem to matter what punishment she gets. We have tried talking to her about her anger issues, she talks to a counselor and yet nothing seems to get through to her. Recently she seems to have a very morbid imagination. Almost every conversation we have with her involves death of some kind. I don't know if this is just her having an active imagination or maybe sign of a problem. Anyone else ever have this problem with their child? Any advice would be helpful.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Has someone you known recently died? I know many kids start to get morbid type thoughts after a loved one or a friends loved one dies. They learn that life can end and it scares them

LisaW

Jan 25, 2008
Nevada
There have been no recent deaths in the family or friends. That's what makes it strange. She is usually such a happy child and so imaginative. She just has started talking about such weird subjects. If it's not death or dismemberment, it's a fascination with fire.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Personally I wouldn't make a big deal about it, just monitor it and see where it goes. Most likely is will disappear rather quickly because kids change so fast along with their interests. If she was 12+, then there might be more to be concerned about.

In a funny way what comes to mind is Christina Ricci as Wednesday in the Addams Family movies :)

LisaW

Jan 25, 2008
Nevada
I only worry because I've never had this problem before or seen it in other children. As for video games or movies, we restrict what our girls watch and what games they play. Her games are more centered around Barbie, bratz, and pets, and movies are G rated or PG( after me and my husband watch first).

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
One of my daughters had terrible frustrations. I found I could turn around her frustrations quickly by just giving her a tight and loving hug. It seemed as though holding her and loving her at the precise moment she was having a meltdown was the key to making it go away quickly. It seems like the opposite of what you would think to do, because I know I wanted to discipline her at first, but I found that just added to her frustrations and lead to more outbursts and her telling me I just didn't understand her. So I switched to hugs and she has had fewer episodes to where now she has virtually none.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Well as it is happening younger and younger these days it could be hormonal. My oldest daughter started developing at 8 and recently she has been hormonal- mood swings and such.