Being afraid of the dark...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I can't blame kids for being afraid of the dark. The dark is scary and full of unknowns, and all of this is magnified by the imagination of a child. If you can't see around you, then all you can do is imagine what is there, and children tend to go a little crazy with it because they can't really rationalize that there obviously is not a hairy monster under their bed, a bad guy hiding in the closet, or a ghost in that corner. When there's no light there to prove to them that they are wrong, why should they believe otherwise? They don’t have the ability to reason based off of knowledge and experience like adults do, and even as an adult I can say that I have a hard time reasoning in the dark!

My four-year-old is somewhat afraid of the dark. I personally am not a big fan of pitch black myself. I actually have a pretty bright nightlight in my own bedroom just because I find it irritating to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to see anything. Plus I am more comfortable waking up from a disturbing dream if it isn't super dark in my room. Hey, I‘m only human! It's just comforting to wake up and be able to see a dim version of your surroundings, with nothing left up to the imagination.

My older son has a rotating light up pretend aquarium that sits on the dresser in his room. His room isn't bright or anything, but you can see around when you're in there, and the aquarium displays cute little patterns on the ceiling as it goes around. I barely ever have a problem with him being nervous in the dark, but I think the one thing that helps him the most is that I gave him a Spiderman flashlight that he can turn on and off and use to look around as he pleases. It’s very important to him; he takes it to bed with him every night. I think it's a huge comfort for him, especially considering he has control over where he shines the light. Both of those things eliminate any need to use his imagination when determining what might be in the shadows, and he is so comfortable and reassured of his surroundings at night!

A lot of parents tend to think that a night light is a crutch, or a dependency, and that it’s something that all kids need to grow out of and eventually get rid of. I personally believe that it’s actually very reasonable for kids to want to be able to see their surroundings at night, and parents spend less time dealing with night time anxieties.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah I have to keep it kind of more generic and... like, in genereal than that though. :(

Anyway, thanks. :)

Chris Thompson

Nov 5, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Night lights are great, but sometimes they don't solve the problem. The key, in my experience, is to softly teach kids that they can imagine anything they want to imagine.

Fear is internally manufactured. So is a feeling of comfort and safety. Learn to ask great questions that cause kids to change their internal representations ... and you end up with very powerful outcomes. Not just for sleeping, but for anything.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I completely agree with that, Chris Thompson! The best way to go would always be to encourage kids to think positively. I just think that the night light should always be there as a back up for when positive thinking isn't at it's best, which happens to all of us at times. :)

mandycc

Nov 12, 2011
Hi, i've tried the postive reinforcement with my 7 year old daughter, it seems to help but as soon as night time comes along her anxiety levels hit the roof. She can no longer go to sleep on her own after an incident about 4 weeks ago. I or my husband have to sit with her until she goes to sleep and then she wakes up during the night and screems until she gets in to our bed. We have tried everything we can think of, she has gone from not being a problem at all at bedtime to a complete nightmare who cannot be on her own at all. We really don't know what to do? Help!

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Great way to help children over come being afraid of the dark is to put in a night light. I've got one for the granddaughter that we are raising and it does help. Hope that this is of some help. Sallyskidshop

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
mandycc - I'm sorry you are going through that! May I ask what happened? It might be easier to give advice if I know what's got her all thrown off. I agree that a night light may help, and like I mentioned before a flash light. They are great because the light is completely in their control, and they can see what they want where they want. I know one of the members of this forum has a string of christmas lights up in his daughter's room to keep things dimly lit and colorful. What is she afraid of? Have you asked her why she gets so upset at night and what is bothering her?

Sallyskidshop - I completely agree! Nightlights take the guess work out of seeing in the dark and they comfort children and adults alike, I think. Just wonderful little tools, aren't they? :)

Drawing1

Banned
Sep 4, 2011
Great post. I also think that children should be able to see their surroundings at night.
I wanted to add that night fears may be caused by different reasons. The child's drawings enable us to identify his emotional state and fears and give specific solutions. Learn more at: http://www.roshida.com

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
mandycc said:
Hi, i've tried the postive reinforcement with my 7 year old daughter, it seems to help but as soon as night time comes along her anxiety levels hit the roof. She can no longer go to sleep on her own after an incident about 4 weeks ago. I or my husband have to sit with her until she goes to sleep and then she wakes up during the night and screems until she gets in to our bed. We have tried everything we can think of, she has gone from not being a problem at all at bedtime to a complete nightmare who cannot be on her own at all. We really don't know what to do? Help!
Hello mandycc, could you explain what happened 4 weeks ago? Then I can perhaps offer some insights on how to handle it.

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
You poor thing. I realise that she wants you to sit with her while she falls asleep but once she gets into the habit its going to be very difficult to stop. I would suggest that you sit at the door of her room, back to her until she falls asleep, you should not engage her at all. When she comes to you in the middle of the night, turn her around & take her back to bed, don't talk to her. You may have to let her scream for a few nights,she is ruling you and it is certainly not a good idea to have her sleeping with you. Have you tried having some music on or a night light? You do need to nip this in the bud before it becomes too much more of an issue. What did happen 4 weeks ago to make her change so much. Good luck.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Sallyskidshop said:
You poor thing. I realise that she wants you to sit with her while she falls asleep but once she gets into the habit its going to be very difficult to stop.
Not necessarily, it depends on what the <I>cause </I>of her behavior is. <I>Why</I> does she need her mom to sit with her while she falls asleep?

Sallyskidshop said:
You may have to let her scream for a few nights,she is ruling you and it is certainly not a good idea to have her sleeping with you.
:arghh: no no no no no!!

NEVER ever ignore a child who is screaming!
This causes attachment disorders in children.
I am sorry Sallyskidshop, I do not mean to pick on you, but this is a terrible advice. <I>DO NOT let a child with sleep anxiety cry without help.</I>

Sallyskidshop said:
You do need to nip this in the bud before it becomes too much more of an issue.
It is true that habits can form and that they are more difficult to change later on. However, this is a secondary problem in regards to the anxiety and the anxiety has a root cause.
Even without this, <I>never let a child in distress alone</I>. It erodes the attachment and promotes insecure / avoidant attachment, it teaches the child that they cannot count on their primary caregiver when they are in distress and pushes them to under-develop their right brain hemisphere. It also causes them to become clingy and it destroys their ability to explore and open up to the environment.

Email me if you need more information.

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Nicolas My husband and I are raising a new 7 year old granddaughter. She went through the same behaviour as the little girl that is mentioned in the post. She just became very dependent on my husband sitting with her until she went to sleep, we went through the tantrums, getting out of bed, screaming etc - the only way to deal with her was as I mentioned. We left a night light on for her, we left music on for her, we did make sure that she was safe &amp; constantly reassured her that we were around, she had her babies to cuddle &amp; we did keep checking that she was okay. She is a very happy child that now goes to sleep without a problem.

You are not getting at me &amp; that is fine, I've broad shoulders. But the problem does need to be dealt with, as long as she is constantly told that she is loved and wanted I see absolutely no harm in letting her cry it out. If the little one is crying to the point of making herself sick, then there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. Of course without knowing exactly what happened, neither of us can really advice this woman in the correct manner.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Sally - I would never, ever reccomend letting a child cry it out. There is always an underlying problem that NEEDS to be addressed when a child is experiencing night time anxiety like this. The reason your grand daughter now goes to sleep without bothering you is that she has been taught that there is no use crying for help because it gets no results. No one is coming to fix the problem, so it's wasted breath. Letting a child scream until they realize there is no longer any point in continuing is not solving the problem, it's just covering it up. Also not trying to pick on you, you did the best you knew how, but it's not very good advice for someone who is trying to help their child through night time problems. There are solutions out there, you definitely don't have to let your kids cry.

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Xero

We got advice on how to deal with the situation &amp; we dealt with it the way we were advised. You don't know our situation &amp; how we came to be bringing up a granddaughter. She is the most happiest, contended. loving, adorable &amp; well adjusted little girl you could possibly imagine. We have no night time problems with her at all &amp; haven't had so for a long time. We laid down ground rules for her.

To anyone else that may have read my previous post - then I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my advice.

I'm feeling got at now &amp; hope that no one else is going to have a go at me.

On that note, I wish everyone a happy weekend.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm sorry you feel that way, honestly all we can do is our best with our kids, and no I do not know your situation or your granddaughter. I'm sure you love her, and I'm sure she is fine and feels loved. I just happen to disagree with giving out the advice to let a child scream, that's all. Not calling you a bad parent or anything, it's just a matter of opinion and all that. I'm sorry you are feeling got at. I wasn't trying for that at all, I just feel the advice you were given was perhaps a bit misguided and that there are better ways. That's really as far as I was trying to go with my response. :)

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
When my oldest daughter was young she was afraid of the dark and the monster in the closet. We talked about it reached the point where the monster in her imagination was really just a person in a costume. I was able to reinforce the idea by describing how the person had to undo all the zippers and velcro on the 'suit' to go to the bathroom. The conversation deteriorated into typical kid bathroom humor and that was the final nail in the coffin for the 'monster in the closet'.