Big Childrens Tylenol And Motrin RECALL...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
<r>This is creepy!! I'm amazed it hasn't been posted on here already.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s>McNeil Consumer Healthcare Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain OTC Infants’ and Children’s Products <e></e></B><br/>
Fort Washington, PA (April 30, 2010) – McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc., in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is voluntarily recalling all lots that have not yet expired of certain over-the-counter (OTC) Children’s and Infants’ liquid products manufactured in the United States and distributed in the United States, Canada, Dominican Republic, Dubai (UAE), Fiji, Guam, Guatemala, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, and Kuwait. (SEE RECALLED PRODUCT LIST BELOW). <br/>
McNeil Consumer Healthcare is initiating this voluntary recall because some of these products may not meet required quality standards. This recall is not being undertaken on the basis of adverse medical events. However, as a precautionary measure, parents and caregivers should not administer these products to their children. Some of the products included in the recall may contain a higher concentration of active ingredient than is specified; others may contain inactive ingredients that may not meet internal testing requirements; and others may contain tiny particles. While the potential for serious medical events is remote, the company advises consumers who have purchased these recalled products to discontinue use. <br/>
The company is conducting a comprehensive quality assessment across its manufacturing operations and has identified corrective actions that will be implemented before new manufacturing is initiated at the plant where the recalled products were made.<br/>
Consumers can contact the company at 1-888-222-6036 and also at <URL url="</s>www.mcneilproductrecall.com<e></e></COLOR><e>[/URL]</e></URL>. Parents and caregivers who are not sure about alternative pediatric health treatment options should talk to their doctor or pharmacist and are reminded to never give drug products to infants and children that are not intended for those age groups as this could result in serious harm. <br/>
For additional information, including affected NDC numbers, consumers should visit our website <URL url="</s>www.fda.gov/medwatch<e></e></COLOR><e>[/URL]</e></URL>.<br/>
McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Division of McNeil-PPC, Inc. markets a broad range of well-known OTC products. <br/>
<br/>
Go here to figure out if you have one of the affected TYLENOL items:<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="</s>Tylenol.com<e></e></URL><br/>
<br/>
Go here to figure out if you have one of the affected MOTRIN items:<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="</s>Motrin - The official website for all Motrin products<e></e></URL><br/>
<br/>
And from there you can either request a product coupon or a refund. <E>:)</E></r>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
The thing that's weird is that none of the generic versions are recalled...which makes me really wonder about the generics? Are they just not tested as throroughly?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah I had that same thought. Its creepy! I mean why are they cheaper lol there has to be SOMETHING making them worse than name brand. But maybe I'm just being paranoid lol.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well, I always thought that it was because therre weren't the same dollars wasted on expensive advertising....but I'm beginning to wonder.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah that's what I always chalked it up to as well. That could be it, really. But maybe.... its not? o__o lol

I buy generic all the time, that's why I'm creeped out. Its like 50/50 for me half my medicine is generic and half of it is brand name. I guess it kinda depends on the money I have when I'm at the store that day.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
The brand and generic are identical drugs, it is just brands always charge more because people will pay it as they think generic is inferior. Here generic is never made in the same factory as brand, maybe something like that is why generic hasn't been recalled as they have equal regulation to branded drugs.

At uni I made ibuprofen for nurofen it costs four pound to buy sixteen, if I had made them for say adds it would cost forty pence for sixteen

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's what I was kind of figuring, was that they are made in a different factory. I imagine they are. That would make me feel better. Couldn't they advertise that? lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
us too, we usually buy the walgreen's or target brands unless we have great coupons or something.

I don't really worry about them being dangerous, just wonder sometimes if they are as effective.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Iadad they have identical ingredients apart from the actual coating to make it look pretty, if anything else was different they wouldn't be the same drug. My mam still can't be convinced that codeine is two separate drugs, then again she puts new drugs down the toilet, if they font float it is clearly a conspiracy from the NHS haha

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, I know...DW swears that brand name motrin works better than generic ibuprofen and to me, generic ibuprofen works well enough, so what's the point. Now, she will buy generic diphenhydramine to use as a sleep aid, where some people shell out for expensive tylenol PM or one of the sleepy brand name s that cost 7 times more.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I always figured there'd be something. But I always read the ingredients and how much of the ingredient is in each and in medicines such as tylenol and motrin, they are all exactly the same as the generic. Usually cold medicine and allergy medicine is the same. BUT if you look at brand name creams and generic creams SOMETIMES they are actually different. Like the diaper rash cream Desitin and its generic version are very different. There is much less active ingredient in the generic version and it doesn't work for crap. I could list others as well but you understand.