Biggest Worry For Kids Success...

Davica

Apr 6, 2015
Hello All!

I'm excited to be part of the community and hope to add as much value as I possibly can as this is my first ever post (WHOO). Since I am new I was hoping to ask a question that has been killing me now for a long time and maybe it might spark some interesting conversation.

I was wondering... What are your biggest worries as a parent for your child's success after they have completed with their studies or post-secondary education.

Just wondering if the community has any thoughts on this topic.

Looking forward to reading about it!

Davica

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
My daughter's family on both sides has been investing in her college funds since she was born. So, I'm not too worried about costs at the moment. She is set.
I am worried about her being able to keep up with the work. I discuss what she will be faced with and talking about the difference between college and university and how it depends on what you want to go into on which type of school is best. She is set on being a singer/songwriter, and I fully support her and I tell her I will be her biggest fan. And I've been giving her tips on what to look out for and giving her some sound advice, as best as I can. I don't know too much about the music industry, but I know that it is heavily competitive and you will get rejections for often than record deals, but all the successful musicians and performers have gone through it. It's all about believing in yourself and persistence. She needs to figure out if she wants to be in a band or go solo. What genre she wants to do after. I've told her that it may take a long time before her singing career takes off, and it's best to remain a Canadian singer. Canada supports the performing arts and the music industry, so long as it's not rap or hip hop (not too sure why). Plus, Canadians get more excited over homegrown music from loyal Canadian artists who have made it in Canada. And she needs singing lessons, preferably classical training.
I've also, told her she should have a plan B in case it doesn't work out.
She's not a straight A student, but there is still time for redemption. I am certain she has a bright future ahead of her.

Davica

Apr 6, 2015
Thank you for your insight artmom - and WHOO HOO Canadian singers! (I'm Canadian as well and it's true about us being proud of local talent)

So would you say that you may be a little worried about her success as a musician?
I do believe a back-up plan is a good idea.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Davica said:
Thank you for your insight artmom - and WHOO HOO Canadian singers! (I'm Canadian as well and it's true about us being proud of local talent)

So would you say that you may be a little worried about her success as a musician?
I do believe a back-up plan is a good idea.
In that industry you never know. It's very unpredictable. I don't doubt that she will make something of herself. She likes heavy metal, punk and alternative rock. A very hard genre for a female to navigate. But she understands and is focused. She's been writing her own song lyrics for a couple years and has been bugging me about singing lessons. I called up a school and they put her on a waiting list (what else is new) last year and I haven't heard anything back. I think I should try another school. She's still quite young yet, and I've instilled in her that school is more important. It's not like she's in ballet where your career is limited by how young you start. She agrees she needs to stay grounded and be educated and not let her head get in the clouds and become a star-bound Justin Bieber (whom she hates.).
She does have other interests and skills she has been developing; sewing, cooking, art, plastics, graphic arts, etc. I don't even know how long she will be interested in having a singing career. When she was a toddler and preschooler she was so intrigued with trains I thought she would be a train conductor. Then later she was obsessed with horses and wanted to be a farrier or vet, or rescue animals like on Animal Cops. Just a few years ago, she talked about wanting to be a policewoman.
I used to be convinced I would be a whale trainer, graphic artist, etc. Kids change their minds so much and they still do during secondary school, and afterwards when they go back to change their careers. All we can do is be supportive and let them decide.

Davica

Apr 6, 2015
I get the mind changing frequently thing, I've been finished with school for a while and even with a career I'm STILL changing my mind as to what I really want to do, so I competently understand.
It is true all we can do is support our kids with their choices and let them know that we are there for them if they feel like they may have failed (even though pursuing a goal no matter if you achieve it or not is never a failure but a learning experience)

I wish your daughter all the best of luck in her career and will be her fan number two!

GO CANADIAN SINGERS!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I have two currently at university. My oldest is in her 3rd year studying Culinary Business. She completed a pastry chef apprenticeship recently. She's been all over the shop with what she wants to do with that, she currently works for a bridal reception centre as a junior pastry chef, but that was a job I got her so it's not something she wants to do forever. In the past she has spoken about doing wedding cakes, now she's talking about opening a chocolate café. Whatever she decides, I know that she will be in an industry that is always going to be in demand and she enjoys being a part of.

My #2, he's in his first year, studying a double degree of Arts/Secondary Education. He's doing a double stream for his arts, Music and English. He's another one that I'm not worried about, there's not exactly a surplus of teachers here and they are very much in demand, especially high school teachers and especially male teachers. Both are very sought out, so again, he's one I know will be fine.

#3 is flighty about what she wants to do, but so was I, and she is very much like me. She'll get there.

It's #4 that I am most concerned about. She is passionate about science and whilst yes, she is young, she has her heart set on research as a career and it's something that has just been receiving cut after cut here. It's not going to be an easy career to have, nor a stable one, so we will see when the time comes.

#5 wants to be "The guy who flies the helicopter who dumps all the water on the bushfires because he's cool" - so there you go. That's a step up from his previous career goal of "being a train like Thomas". At least this is actually a job rather than an object with a face.

Davica

Apr 6, 2015
cybele, I disagree, being a train like Thomas is pretty cool, he hangs out with his friends all day plus does maybe one or two jobs throughout the entire show; he's got it made. I love the purity of young children to believe they can achieve all that they dream possible is such magic. Kid #5 seems like he's got life all figured out.

Thank you so very much for your response, it seems like most parents are worried for their child's future career choice and objectives. It's a tough one because we want our kids to be happy and do what they love but also make some money in the process.

Excellent insight cybele!

Davica

Apr 6, 2015
To Everyone,
I saw this TED talk the other day and thought it was interesting. I'd like to share it as I feel that the world is shifting and since our kids are the future lets help to cultivate their genius so they prosper in the future with our without us.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity[/url]

Hope you all enjoy this one!

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My goal right now is to make sure my kids are hard workers. School work, chores, projects... I am trying to hold them to age-appropriate high standards. I figure that as long as they are exposed to a lot of things and accustomed to working hard, they'll have opportunities and know how to pursue them. It seems like the people who struggle the most with jobs (at least around here) are those who are really picky, who just can't find that perfect "fit," and are easily overwhelmed by everything. My brother is among them... people who can't find a job because nothing has come around that's "just right." I figure, if you stick with a path - any path - you can always switch if something better comes along. Giving up and waiting around for something more alluring just doesn't seem to pan out for anyone. I took a lot of "crappy" jobs when I was younger, and honestly, I enjoyed every single one. I think no matter what you do, as long as you work hard, you get used to whatever aspects you hate and it doesn't end up mattering that much.

Davica

Apr 6, 2015
akmom said:
My goal right now is to make sure my kids are hard workers. School work, chores, projects... I am trying to hold them to age-appropriate high standards. I figure that as long as they are exposed to a lot of things and accustomed to working hard, they'll have opportunities and know how to pursue them. It seems like the people who struggle the most with jobs (at least around here) are those who are really picky, who just can't find that perfect "fit," and are easily overwhelmed by everything. My brother is among them... people who can't find a job because nothing has come around that's "just right." I figure, if you stick with a path - any path - you can always switch if something better comes along. Giving up and waiting around for something more alluring just doesn't seem to pan out for anyone. I took a lot of "crappy" jobs when I was younger, and honestly, I enjoyed every single one. I think no matter what you do, as long as you work hard, you get used to whatever aspects you hate and it doesn't end up mattering that much.
That's amazing I think the same way, having to struggle at all the 'crappy' jobs I had when I was younger taught me the importance of persistence and to embrace the hustle - of course something I want to pass onto my kids.

Klissop

Jun 30, 2020
I understand you very well, because I also have some doubts about what kind of education my children will choose to receive. But I know that there are many more opportunities now than before to change the field of activity. You can get an education in the specialty you need at almost any age and start making a career in a new for you field at any time. I recently found on the Internet a discussion of the express education service, here https://www.expressuniversitydegree.com/ is a detailed description of how it works. It seems to me that my children, if they want, can easily use this opportunity to realize their ambitions at work.