Birth Control Problems...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I've been having all these problems because of a form of birth control I had put in after having Eli. It's driving me nutsssssss. I was wondering if anyone else had problems like this with their birth control and if there was anything they did to help it? Some advice for me with mine?

This gets kind of personal, so go away if you're not prepared to read personal stuff. :p The birth control is called Implanon and it is under the skin of my inner arm. It lasts three years, which is nice.

But anyway, first of all, it gives me the most irritatingly irregular periods. I never know when I'm going to get it, how long it's going to last, how heavy it's going to be, or if I'm just randomly spotting. Soooo annoying.

And then, I think I've been gaining weight because of it...I think. Maybe it's increasing my appetite or has something to do with hormones? I don't know, but I don't like it and would very much like it to stop.

The last and I think worst thing about it, is I think it's destroying my libido (sp?). I used to always want to.....you know. Even after I had Eli, up until I got the birth control. I just don't feel like it now. That's not fair for my boyfriend or I, and I really hate it. It seems like it should be something you can control mentally, but it seriously isn't. It's all about my hormones, and they just feel all wrong anymore. It just sucks, and it really makes things not that great between me and him. It's not good for our relationship. Mentally I really really want to, but physically I just don't feel like it. I'm not interested, and it doesn't feel the same when we go about it either.

Sorry this is all TMI and everything. @___@ I just wonder if anyone else knows how I feel and has something to say. Thanks.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Heather has weird reactions to birth control as well. She gained quite a bit of weight, but the big problem is that birth control shoots her blood pressure up to dangerous levels. The doctor tried her on different bc's but none helped. Ultimately, she had to get off of bc all together.

Has your doctor given you any alternatives to the bc that you're currently on?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would be talking to your doctor...there are other options with lower hormones. I personally could handle the way I reacted to birth control. I tried so many different kinds and actually got pregnant using the patch kind. I have resigned myself to just using condoms. ((HUGS)) though, I hope you find something that works for you. You should have to feel the way you are, there are other options out there, they just aren't as convenient

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
sarushjr said:
Heather has weird reactions to birth control as well. She gained quite a bit of weight, but the big problem is that birth control shoots her blood pressure up to dangerous levels. The doctor tried her on different bc's but none helped. Ultimately, she had to get off of bc all together.

Has your doctor given you any alternatives to the bc that you're currently on?
Well, there are alternatives, but the one I have in right now I'd have to get cut out and I'm not sure if my insurance would cover that... And it just seems like such a waste, because it was such a big deal to get the stupid thing in.

I got pregnant with Eli on the pill. I never trusted the idea of the patch, and the shot sounds like a bad idea since you don't get your period. Seems unnatural to me. I guess if I wanted things to be different I would just have to use condoms or something. That's just such a pain, you know. And plus I don't want to give myself the opportunity to get myself into trouble. :eek: Ha.

I really don't know if I can deal with this though, I might have to consider something else.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I also had multiple problems while using hormonal BC and finally ended up using condoms. Yes, a PITB, but well worth NOT suffering the hormonal side effects. Worked for us until DH got a vasectomy.

Definitely talk with your GYN about other options. I've heard good things about the Nuva Ring.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Really, Nuva Ring? That's one of the things I worried about working like I worried about the patch... but I don't know much about it. I guess I could ask. Or read about it. Thanks :)

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I'm pretty adamant about not using hormonal birth control..so I suck it up and use condoms. :mad: I want the IUD that doesn't use hormones but I can't afford it right now...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey!
I would definatly try the Nuva Ring, but before doing so talk to your doc and get that thing out! its not worth the hassle. If i were you i would just go and get a 10.00 box of condoms LOL. But definatly check out some other options!