Books You Read...

Amberr

Sep 22, 2010
For those who like to do a lot of research before taking a big step into parenting (like me!) what books have you read about pre-conception or have you just found articles to read online?

So far I've only been reading budgeting and single mother by choice books but I'd like to read some other ones if you have any suggestions!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I didn't read much on parenting before I was pregnant with my son, as he was a bit of an accident! haha but now that I am trying to conceive I have been reading a ton of articles online - there's more to know than I thought! :)

This isn't pre-conception, but I loved the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting", it REALLY helped me understand all of the aspects of pregnancy and eased a lot of my fears etc.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Kinda makes you wonder how you managed to conceive the first time doesn't it, Xero?

I'll second the call for "What to expect while you're expecting."

Otherwise, I tried to read around the various websites and we took a class sponsored by our hospital that was a combination le Maise, pregnancy eduction, infant care issues and breast feeding class. It was a super class, so look for opportunities like that.

And since Trina's not around much these days - learn about car seats, there are some really important things to learn. Not a ton of stuff but a few really important things that keep a car seat from being more dangerous that being without one.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I never read a book at least not from beginning to end, I just kinda learned as I went and followed my gut instinct. It hasn't failed me yet.

But here are a few I have at least glanced through.

The No Cry sleep Solution
And for when the baby is a little older..

The Happiest baby on the block.

Amberr

Sep 22, 2010
I have a copy of "what to expect while your expecting" I haven't read it cause I'm not pregnant I just picked it up for 25 cents somewhere!

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I was thinking about this a lot yesterday.... I read a LOT of stuff when I found out I was pregnant. I had lots of books, spent countless hours on the internet... I can't really give you too much advice on actual books though. I just wanted to tell you to be a little careful with everything you read. It can get you completely overwhelmed and make you a little crazy. Listen to your instincts and use the info in the books as back up.

My midwife and I just recently had a discussion about how the internet is a blessing and a curse. She said that some of her expecting moms get so worried about little things because of what they have read on the internet. I remember being so freaked out with my first because even though I would go to sleep on my left side, I'd wake up on my right side. I was sure that the baby was suffering because of it!

After my son was born, I did get a lot of use of a book called "Loving Hands: The Traditional Art of Baby Massage" My son and I did this every day when he was a baby and I think it benefited us both in more ways than I can even imagine.

Amberr

Sep 22, 2010
Kind of answering my own question.. But I found the book "What to expect..Before your expecting" yesterday at Barnes & Nobles.. It was kind of expensive so I found it on AMAZON for a cheaper price.

As well as 3 other books (mostly fertility & single mom books) spent less then $20 on books I would of spent over 40 if they were brand new.

kristinsmoot89

Sep 28, 2010
Amberr said:
For those who like to do a lot of research before taking a big step into parenting (like me!) what books have you read about pre-conception or have you just found articles to read online?

So far I've only been reading budgeting and single mother by choice books but I'd like to read some other ones if you have any suggestions!

Check this out Amber

kristinsmoot89

Sep 28, 2010
Amberr said:
Kind of answering my own question.. But I found the book "What to expect..Before your expecting" yesterday at Barnes & Nobles.. It was kind of expensive so I found it on AMAZON for a cheaper price.

As well as 3 other books (mostly fertility & single mom books) spent less then $20 on books I would of spent over 40 if they were brand new.

Those are all great books that I have found. Try Chicken Soup for Pregnant Mothers

karenmains

Banned
Sep 12, 2010
<r>This book, published by Simon and Schuster, is about the lives of two women that collide. One is a Britisher from London and the other is an illegal immigrant from Nigeria. This is not an easy read, but as the two cultures bang into each other, then intertwine, it is an amazingly beautiful study of people from different worlds whose lives have been intertwined by a horrific choice.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
The back cover copy warns: “Once you have read it, you’ll want to tell your friends abut it. When you do, please don’t tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds.”<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
This is an unsettling novel that is made both heartrending and heartening by the growing moral consciousness of these two women.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
&lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;People Magazine&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt; gave this four stars and named it as a “&lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;People&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt; Choice” pick.&lt;/r&gt;

Veelana

Oct 1, 2010
I absolutely loved "Up the duff" by kaz cooke. Its fun to read, and still very informative. The american version is called
"A Bun in the Oven: The Real Guide to Pregnancy"

intuikick

Banned
Oct 13, 2010
Jordan
&lt;t&gt;High-minded date! &lt;br/&gt;
Validate finished &lt;br/&gt;
a marvelous search engine – &lt;br/&gt;
sprzedaz sklep24h czeladz pl/a/pozycjonowanie,4448]pozycjonowanie&lt;br/&gt;
P S Yahoo – the well shooting blend inclination be found! Google: nothing was unusually lost… &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Comprise a word with you!&lt;/t&gt;

Aledlywew

Banned
Oct 22, 2010
Somalia
&lt;t&gt;Fit date! I've recently establish a marvelous search structure – radarcloak com/phpBB2/profile php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=105455]homeP S Yahoo – the whole shooting competition will-power be introduce! Google: nothing was undeniably forgotten… daystalk com/doolforum/profile php?id=29460]houseBye to entire!wonkolabs com/forum/profile php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=73525]clickhere&lt;/t&gt;

Oct 27, 2010
Hi parents! I'm currently a student at Boston University and need your help! My team is currently developing a new product aimed at children ages 6-10 and it would help so much if you can take the survey!

Eric Bowen

Banned
Nov 25, 2010
Ferndale, WA
Hello Amberr

My advice as the dad of two teenagers:

Don't just look at the pregnancy / baby care questions; research parenting as a 20-year project at least, or better yet, as a permanent relationship with your children, even into their adulthood, as long as you live.

Before launching into parenting, consider all you'll have to deal with, your children as infants, toddlers, kids, teens, adults.

If you're wanting to get a quick overview of numerous situations you may encounter as a mother, then I heartily recommend the anthology <I>Wisdom of Our Mothers</I>. Eighty-eight authors explore motherhood, recalling how their mothers guided them at critical moments in their lives, recounting mothers' strengths -- and sometimes, their failings. (Dads, there are lessons for you, too, as well as learning to appreciate your wives more!)

Check out the book at
familiabooks dot com
createspace dot com/3461303
tinyurl dot com/motherwisdom

Sincerely
Eric Bowen

Hassty

Jul 22, 2020
I really love to read, but buying paper books is too expensive. I found a way to save a lot of money on this using my home printer, and to make the book look good and really easy to read, I use these professional templates https://www.ls.graphics/free-mockups/book-mockup for book cover and printing, which I found on the Internet on one of the graphic design portals ... It seems to me that this is really the best solution for those who like to read and don't want to spend a lot of money on this hobby.