Boyfriend has daughter, doesn't want another kid?...

whitter.bug

May 22, 2011
I discussed a lot of this with my sister, so I've copy/pasted the story since I spent a lot of time to write and feel this is the best summary.

Essentially, the entire topic came down to one, very hard and important matter. Ethan (my boyfriend) doesn't want to have another kid. Now, to me that seems unfathomable. I know he loves Ali (his daughter, 2yrs old), and before he had her he had told me he didn't want kids but I knew he'd love her, and he'd be wrong once she came around. I asked for specific reasons and he replied with, "I just don't." and to me, that wasn't possible. There had to be something that made him not want another, especially now when he has Aliand loves her to death.

I understand he may not particularly WANT one - he didn't want Ali, and if he didn't know her like he knows her now, he wouldn't want her now either. I guess I was more unclear as to why he wasn't willing to have another kid, when he knows he'd love it as much as Ali, as much as I would. Well, we talked on and stories from his childhood came up...

Ethan's parent's split when he was 3, and his father was never around. He died of stomache cancer when he was 16. He would visit his father who had a girlfriend who had kids so he would come over and be what he felt like "the visitor" while his dad lived and took care of his "real kids". When Ethan was 15, his mother had been married by then and he was told he'd be having a brother. As soon as that brother came around, his mother never gave him attention unless the police were involved.

His point for not wanting a kid more geared toward's Ali's protection - if she doesn't live with us (with her mom), how would she like "being the visitor" while his REAL children live with him, or how would she like being neglected for "v2.0" (our child together).

There were a couple things I pointed out
1) He dislikes Mike (his step-dad), and I'd like to think I'll know Ali at a younger age, and that she'll like me.
2) A sister or brother would be introduced into her life at a much younger age (5 years from now, 7 years old?), where she'd be given the opportunity to grow up with them, even if she didn't live with us - unlike him and his brothers.
3) If she did live with us, I could never neglect her. I would love her like one of my own and it boggles me his mother did that. If she didn't live with us, I think it's inevitable there may be some sort of jealousy come up between her and her sibling when one gets to live with Ethan, while she doesn't.
4) With any family, feelings of neglect and jealousy will always arise. Sam (my brother) was always jealous of me, Luke (my brother) being the middle child he felt neglected. I'm sure each of us have felt it in some way or another.

I think what hits me the hardest is when Ethan said this... <I>"You can't know. I cannot describe what I felt when I realized not every family was like mine, and I started seeing what I didn't have."</I>

If I had gone through what he had, I wouldn't want another kid either. Some things will inevitable happen for Ali already - her parents are divorced, that's hard enough. She may not even like me. All these experiences Ethan has gone through start to make other things make sense - why his thought process is the way it is, why he hurts and thinks negatively of him self and his life. When he told me he would have been better off his father died when he was younger, than when he was sixteen, I was astonished then but now? I agree. Don't get Ethan wrong, his mother raised him solo...

One time Ethan's dad had called him to come over, and Ethan had told him he didn't want him to drink while he came over and played with his girlfriend's kids. His father then asked for his mom, and he had to listen to his mom defend accusations that she put Ethanup to that. Ethan said if he were in his mom's position he would have been amazed with what she did for him, and he loves her and is close with her, but things shifted minimally when his brothers were introduced.

Ethan is not expecting me to change my mind and not want kids. He thought about this over days, in every scenario to give himself some sort of other perspective, because he doesn't want to end our relationship, he loves me and doesn't want to lose what we have. However, he knows this is something that is not something that can be ignored. For our relationship, it is important to know that the possibility is there in the future, even if we're not ready to committ to it now. I knew when I first met him, he didn't want kids but I didn't think it was that serious, and when Ali came around I thought that had changed as he realized how much he loves her.

Over the last three years, Ethan has changed in so many ways. His perspective on things when I first knew him, and what they've become over there years, has changed. He was confident Ali would not love him like a father, that she would view him as "the guy she sees once in a while" and wouldn't love as much as she loves those she sees daily. Every story he tells me about her, how much she loves him - waking him up at 6 AM just to read a book under the covers... it's annoying, but he knows he loves it. The viewpoint he has of himself is insecure and negative - he thinks he's undeserving of me and anything good, that's he is emotionally and mentally defect and at times, I feel like - I have my own securities too but I know to him, he thinks I'm amazing, as I think he's amazing.

However, after learning of the experiences he had when he was a child, what will inevitable happen for Ali, how could he have another kid? What perspective can he get, to change his mind and apprehension that she may experience what he did, even if on a smaller or different level? To me, I question... why does some unborn child, deserve my love more than someone I know now and love now, and his own child that I love more? I know he isn't expecting me to change my mind on wanting a kid, but to me... why does a child I don't have yet, may not be able to have, deserve my love more than him, where our relationship would end because of it? It's not like I wouldn't be a mother in -some- way, Ali would be there. I just have this feeling though, that me wanting to have a child with him is never going to go away and would only increase over time.

We talked about this for 6 hours, it's not something being taken lightly, it's something we both find very important and neither of us just want to let go of the best thing that's happening for both of us (our relationship) so easily.

What other perspective is there for him to consider?

mrsims31

PF Regular
May 19, 2011
To me, the biggest difference between his situation growing up and the situation now as a father is his <I>awareness</I>.

He knows firsthand how he felt and likely his parents were oblivious to it. Had they known how upset he was they might have tried harder to include him (of course there are horrible parents out there that might not). What resulted had to be some lonliness of the worst kind. I could understand him not wanting that for his daughter. What loving parent would?

The difference now is that he's aware of the situation, where his parents probably weren't. Of course, parenting is something that has to be done on purpose and one would wonder why his parents wouldn't make sure that he always felt a part of the inner circle. Being so intuned to how he felt will only serve to make sure that his childhood situation doesn't repeat with his daughter today.

I find it hard to believe that the situation determines the outcome. Its the players involved that make it what it is. His daughter will not automatically be forgotten in the shuffle if the two of you make it a priority for that to not happen.

Surely there are several on here with similar situations that can vouch for this and give you tips on how they handle things with their family. But one thing's clear... the two of you need to figure this out soon so you can decide whether your relationship should continue. If you're unwavering on having kids and he is on not having them then you have a problem indeed.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
okay, I tried to read all of it, I really did, I can say I read most of it.

All I can offer is sometimes the reasons why don't make sense. He could just as easily ask why you want children. Sometimes people just have instincts they follow and you can't change that (or if you can you seriously have to wonder about your amazing influence.)

Maybe if this is something you want and he doesn't, then you aren't to be together right now? We tried to have a baby for 12 years and it didn't happen. When we gave up trying it did...twice. So, you could leave this man you love, find another and try to have a child and not be successful.

Instead of being focused on the single issue of children maybe they two of you, if you're planning on being together, can plan your other life goals. Perhaps you can discover that there are times along that plan that he might consider having kids. Is that enough for you? Is a "maybe I'll want kids in 5 years" different than "I don't want any more kids?"

Consider, do you have to make this decision now? Can you live with it in limbo another year? Give some thought to the larger scope of things.

good luck

whitter.bug

May 22, 2011
mrsims31 said:
To me, the biggest difference between his situation growing up and the situation now as a father is his <I>awareness</I>.

He knows firsthand how he felt and likely his parents were oblivious to it. Had they known how upset he was they might have tried harder to include him (of course there are horrible parents out there that might not). What resulted had to be some lonliness of the worst kind. I could understand him not wanting that for his daughter. What loving parent would?

The difference now is that he's aware of the situation, where his parents probably weren't. Of course, parenting is something that has to be done on purpose and one would wonder why his parents wouldn't make sure that he always felt a part of the inner circle. Being so intuned to how he felt will only serve to make sure that his childhood situation doesn't repeat with his daughter today.

I find it hard to believe that the situation determines the outcome. Its the players involved that make it what it is. His daughter will not automatically be forgotten in the shuffle if the two of you make it a priority for that to not happen.

Surely there are several on here with similar situations that can vouch for this and give you tips on how they handle things with their family. But one thing's clear... the two of you need to figure this out soon so you can decide whether your relationship should continue. If you're unwavering on having kids and he is on not having them then you have a problem indeed.
Thank you for the wonderful response, I appreciate you taking the time to get through my novel there. I will definitely discuss your opinion with him and see what he thinks. I tried to point that out but I don't think I explained it nearly as well as you have. Any other advice or opinion from others would be helpful as well!

mrsims31

PF Regular
May 19, 2011
whitter.bug said:
Thank you for the wonderful response, I appreciate you taking the time to get through my novel there. I will definitely discuss your opinion with him and see what he thinks. I tried to point that out but I don't think I explained it nearly as well as you have. Any other advice or opinion from others would be helpful as well!
You're very welcome; I hope it helps. :D

On the sidenote of talking to him... have discussions on the matter been just that... discussions? Or have they gone south, more towards arguments? Hope I'm not prying too much!

IADad said:
So, you could leave this man you love, find another and try to have a child and not be successful.

.....Give some thought to the larger scope of things.
A good point. People usually have their hopes and dreams laid out only to find later on that it wasn't in the cards. Many women want children and aren't able to fulfill those dreams... the same for finding a life-long spouse. You seem to feel you've found a good man, and he has a daughter that you can at the very least be the best step-mom the girl could ever know. Those are pretty big blessings to give up. Definitely something to think about.

whitter.bug

May 22, 2011
mrsims31 said:
You're very welcome; I hope it helps. :D

On the sidenote of talking to him... have discussions on the matter been just that... discussions? Or have they gone south, more towards arguments? Hope I'm not prying too much!
Discussions so far, emotional (sad) but no arguing at all. No prying here :]

mrsims31 said:
A good point. People usually have their hopes and dreams laid out only to find later on that it wasn't in the cards. Many women want children and aren't able to fulfill those dreams... the same for finding a life-long spouse. You seem to feel you've found a good man, and he has a daughter that you can at the very least be the best step-mom the girl could ever know. Those are pretty big blessings to give up. Definitely something to think about.
Well, we don't want to "bet on" things like not being able to have child, and then find out that's not what's going on. Then again, these two are amazing and I love them, but I've always felt this inner need to be a mother, and even though there is his daughter... it's close, but it's not the same, especially when her mother raises her.

mrsims31

PF Regular
May 19, 2011
I understand how you feel (well, being a man, maybe not exactly) and I didn't mean necessarily that you should give up on those dreams of having a child of your own. I just thought that IADad made a good point that you might need to consider. If after all the long talks with your boyfriend you find out that children are out of the question, you'll have to make a tough decision. But you're not there yet and hopefully it won't come to that! (wow, I really suck at this! lol)

The important thing is that you continue to talk about it and whatever decision you come to is one that the two you are at peace with in your heart. In the end you both have to be happy with the decision because it will shape the rest of your life. (Compromises can be good sometimes but if you're not completely at peace with it, it will eventually rise back up worse than before)

It sounds like you're doing a good job with it, so I'm sure you'll come to the right decision. I hope I was able to help some!

whitter.bug

May 22, 2011
mrsims31 said:
I understand how you feel (well, being a man, maybe not exactly) and I didn't mean necessarily that you should give up on those dreams of having a child of your own. I just thought that IADad made a good point that you might need to consider. If after all the long talks with your boyfriend you find out that children are out of the question, you'll have to make a tough decision. But you're not there yet and hopefully it won't come to that! (wow, I really suck at this! lol)
Yeah, I think with just his mentality though, (insecurities) he feels like this is something that will happen for her, despite how or who she's raised by when another child is introduced.

The important thing is that you continue to talk about it and whatever decision you come to is one that the two you are at peace with in your heart. In the end you both have to be happy with the decision because it will shape the rest of your life. (Compromises can be good sometimes but if you're not completely at peace with it, it will eventually rise back up worse than before)

It sounds like you're doing a good job with it, so I'm sure you'll come to the right decision. I hope I was able to help some!
I don't know if it'll be a peaceful... it'll hurt, whether I give up having a child, or we split up. If we stay together and decide we'll have another in the future, I feel like he may change his mind or resent me or the child. I don't know :[

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
whitter.bug said:
Yeah, I think with just his mentality though, (insecurities) he feels like this is something that will happen for her, despite how or who she's raised by when another child is introduced.

I don't know if it'll be a peaceful... it'll hurt, whether I give up having a child, or we split up. If we stay together and decide we'll have another in the future, I feel like he may change his mind or resent me or the child. I don't know :[
This is a very real possibility. Something else to be aware of or concerned about is being careful how much you push the subject, mainly because you don't want him to feel pressured or caught in a tough spot and simply give an answer that prolongs the problem but doesn't fix the situation. If he finally just says, "Ok, well maybe in a few years"...that could just be delaying the inevitable.

You're right, it will hurt either way, but you both need to decide how big of a deal this particular subject is, and whether or not you can live with the way the person feels at the moment. I realize there is no guarantee that either, or both of you won't change your minds later, but don't end up resenting each other later because of the pressure of the situation now.

whitter.bug

May 22, 2011
Incogneato said:
This is a very real possibility. Something else to be aware of or concerned about is being careful how much you push the subject, mainly because you don't want him to feel pressured or caught in a tough spot and simply give an answer that prolongs the problem but doesn't fix the situation. If he finally just says, "Ok, well maybe in a few years"...that could just be delaying the inevitable.

You're right, it will hurt either way, but you both need to decide how big of a deal this particular subject is, and whether or not you can live with the way the person feels at the moment. I realize there is no guarantee that either, or both of you won't change your minds later, but don't end up resenting each other later because of the pressure of the situation now.
Very good suggestion, I feel like maybe he may be getting pressure right now to "change his mind" because we don't want our relationship to end and I don't want him to feel like the feelings he has are wrong or not justified, or to cheapen the gravity of his experiences he had in his past. They are important, and Ali's well-being is important too and I need to remember that, while not being completely self-less either.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
Exactly, it's a hard place to find and I hope that you two are able to resolve any feelings of concern or trepidation you're having and be happy together. Good luck to you both.

mrsims31

PF Regular
May 19, 2011
whitter.bug said:
Very good suggestion, I feel like maybe he may be getting pressure right now to "change his mind" because we don't want our relationship to end and I don't want him to feel like the feelings he has are wrong or not justified, or to cheapen the gravity of his experiences he had in his past. They are important, and Ali's well-being is important too and I need to remember that, while not being completely self-less either.
That is what I meant by making sure you were both completely at peace in your heart with your decision; so that down the road one of you doesn't find out you're not. If the two of you come to a decision that results in you staying together, you should take additional time to make sure that this is something the both of you want.

Have you considered counseling? I would strongly recommend it. Not only would that give you a mediating third-party, but it might also help your boyfriend work through some of the issues/concerns he has with having more children and also his feelings about his own childhood.

If you decide that option is worth bringing up to him, I'd be very careful how you approach him about it. You obviously respect his feelings on the matter and the last thing you want is for him to get the impression that you're trying to "fix" him. But if you bring it up to him while explaining your feelings over the subject like you have here, he should understand easily enough that you just want to find a resolution.

znljubica

Apr 23, 2011
Novi Sad, Serbia
No matter how much you love your boyfriend and his daughter, you will be unhappy if you do not fill your desire to be a mother. If your boyfriend really loves you, he want that you will be happy and to have your child.
If he remain persistent, find another boyfriend.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
znljubica said:
No matter how much you love your boyfriend and his daughter, you will be unhappy if you do not fill your desire to be a mother. If your boyfriend really loves you, he want that you will be happy and to have your child.

wow

simply wow.....:huh:

whitter.bug

May 22, 2011
znljubica said:
The reason he doesn't want another is for the well being of his child, and how could I sacrifice that for my own selfishness?

Step23

PF Regular
May 16, 2011
I see quite a few red flags here. The biggest of which seems to be your boyfriend's lack of self-esteem and feeling that he is not "good enough." In my opinion, that is some one who is not in the right place or frame of mind to be in a relationship. Harsh, I know, but one thing to remember: you can never fix another person and a relationship is not the place to do it. Has your boyfriend ever sought counseling for his childhood issues? Have the two of you considered couples counseling?

As to his desire to not have any more children? Honor it. It may be he feels this way for now, or he may feel this way for the rest of his life. But it is the way HE feels. And that has to be respected every bit as much as your feelings for wanting a child. His concerns about not wanting another child are indeed valid - I am a stepmother and married to a man who had two previous wives. The sons from his first marriage were not treated kindly by his second wife, and there are issues between his eldest son and his youngest. Blended families don't "blend" all that well, and your boyfriend is well to have concerns. After all, he lived it. And step-siblings and half-siblings and resulting jealousies and emotions are far different from the sibling rivalries within an intact family, trust me.

If you feel you are truly at a place in your life where you ready to have a child, and that is something you need, find a man to love who can give you what you want. Not this one, he isn't where you are right now. And either you will force him into having a child, or he will convince you not to have one - and who is going to be truly happy?