Boys playing with dolls...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Haha I saw that on Facebook the other day and LOVED it!!! My boys have a couple of baby dolls that they totally play with once in a while. And in fact, I just wrote down a new baby doll on my youngest's Christmas list because the ones we have are missing all their accessories and half their clothes because we've had them since my oldest was a toddler. I think he will really like that. He always gets excited when he sees me wrapping one up for a girl family member's birthday present. :)

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Hahaha, uh-oh, wouldn't want him to turn into a dad or anything!

My criteria for a toy is how many batteries it takes, and how many removable pieces it has. The fewer the better on both counts. I don't see any point in attaching gender stigmas to toys. I love watching my kids get immersed in playing with their toys, and I'd never arbitrarily make them off limits!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
The original Furbies took eight batteries. EIGHT! I could have strangled my mother in law for buying that for Dita.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My kids just play with what they like. The boys do tend to gravitate towards 'boy' toys and same for the girls.

Kailyn is my only exception, she is all about dinosaurs. She also rarely checks out the girl section and heads straight for the boy section, of course thats cause they have dinosaur things. She eats, sleeps and breaths dinosaurs.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My boys aren't allowed to have toy guns anymore, we had a few when my oldest was littler, but I got rid of them because it made me uncomfortable when he would point at people and pretend to shoot and whatnot.

And ooooohhhhhh my gosh my best friend bought my boys one of the new Furbies for Christmas last year and I hid it from them because I hated it so much. I know, I'm so mean! lol But the damn thing would bother me even when they were in bed!!!! All day long!!! Never again!! lol

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Yes, Tabasco! Rechargeables are great! They don't seem to last as long between charges as regular disposable batteries, but as long as you have some on hand, who cares? Just switch them out. We have a "dead battery" dish and "charged battery" dish. As soon as there are 8 batteries in the "dead" dish, they get charged. That way all we have to do is swap them out!

I sure wish they had chargers for C and D batteries. Those are the ones we really go through... baby swings, vibrating chairs, etc. A C/D battery charger would be like the best new-baby gift ever.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I had a really nice swing that plugged in for my youngest, I wasn't about to screw around with replacing those huge batteries all the time so I went out of my way to find one with a power cord. Turns out he didn't care for it anyway and rarely used it haha.

Oddly enough the batteries in the vibrating bouncy chair lasted forever. 0_o Then again, he definitely spent most of his time in my arms as a baby as that was his favorite place. haha So I suppose that would contribute.

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I never put batteries in the vibrating bouncy chair. When we sold it at a garage sale I looked at it and went "Well shit, you could put batteries in it, I never knew that".

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Haha! Mine played music too, it was a nifty little thing. He wouldn't stay in it long, though. My swing played music too, and also had a setting for "soothing sounds" I guess, and the only one he liked was this one setting that made this horrible super loud SSSSCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound, kinda like if you turn the TV to a static channel lol. I hated it.

cg admin

Administrator
Oct 30, 2008
Xero said:
Haha! Mine played music too, it was a nifty little thing. He wouldn't stay in it long, though. My swing played music too, and also had a setting for "soothing sounds" I guess, and the only one he liked was this one setting that made this horrible super loud SSSSCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound, kinda like if you turn the TV to a static channel lol. I hated it.
Is it possible that he was scared stiff? Haha

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Haha!! Nope, he fell asleep every time. I'm sure it's something to do with white noise or like resembling the sounds unborn babies hear inside the body like blood rushing around and whatnot. Who knows.