Bullying in schools: Casey the Punisher...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Still agreeing with IADad, and now Singledad. I wont add to it because they said everything I was thinking and I'd only be repeating. But I respect that you feel differently about it, and I suppose that's why the no tolerance rule exists in the first place, because its never cut and dry in these situations.

The only thing I would add is that I highly doubt what he did would be likely to break any bones. The kid hit the ground from like one foot off of it. I don't think there's any argument there that "his life was in danger". Really, it wasn't. All he got out of the situation was a scraped knee. Kids wrestle and throw each other around like that while just playing, the only reason it hurt bad enough to scare him away was because there was concrete under him. Nothing happens in that video that leads me to believe his life was in danger, or his bones were in danger of being broken. But I guess you never know? :/

Oh, and IADad - I would be furious if another kid kicked DS in the crotch. I am SO against that. I think hitting, kicking, and spitting happens and its normal among kids and especially boys, but kicking in the crotch is a HUGE no no pet peave of mine. I would be raising some hell for sure. Not only does that hurt really bad and has potential to be damaging, but to me its also like sexual assault. I mean its a blow made purposefully directly to the private parts. Even if you think you should hit someone, you should never think its okay to hit or touch someone else's private parts for any reason EVER. I would be so mad!!!!

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I don't have much more to add past what IADad and Singledad said, but that bully got what was coming to him. The bully was the one that needed to learn there are consequences to his actions, and that's exactly what happened. I do not think Casey should have been suspended and the zero tolerance law is a bit too inflexible given the variety of situations, like the one we are discussing, that arise. It's a blanket policy thrown over a need which is the same thing that happens in so many other facets of our lives, in laws that are passed and policies in work places.

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
Well you've probably read/watched the update on this news. The little pipsqueak/weasel whatever you called him used to be bullied all the time. Now given a chance, he bullied Casey as he had learned. This little bully perhaps wasn't even able to use force to fight back his tormentors like Casey did.

I agree that Casey handled the case very well. If he had not responded the way he did, he would be still being bullied. I also agree that he deserves to be suspended. If he had not been suspended or reprimanded somehow, there is certainly a chance that other students or even himself to believe it is okay to get physical to solve a problem. Then, bullies may target only small ones who cannot get back at them physically. The school needs to send out a very clear message that violence is not acceptable in any case.

As for hitting, kicking, spitting being normal for kids, I disagree. Unless grownups make it acceptable, it is unacceptable. If a child enjoys kicking and hitting, let him do so in a form of sports or whatever boundary that is acceptable and understood by everyone. So, those who don't enjoy hitting and kicking can stay away and don't have to hit back or kick back.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh I find it unacceptable, and my child is not allowed to do any of that to anyone, and there would be consequences if I found out that he did. Actually, my DS in particular if we are referring to him never does any of that to anyone, and I don't think it would cross his mind to do so. He is a sensitive, gentle kind of kid. However, there is a difference between unacceptable and normal. By normal I meant it happens a lot, and kids are always learning how to behave and that is one of those things that a lot of kids struggle to control. Especially boys, who do that kind of thing a lot just for fun. I have brothers! I know boys like to rough house. Doesn't make it okay to get physical, and the energy is better off being focused somewhere else (like a sport as you suggested) but it is still normal.

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you approve that by calling it normal. :)

My child is a very sensitive gentle soul, too. She used to get very upset with kids who play rough. I see her getting more tolerant as she gets older.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Oh, and IADad - I would be furious if another kid kicked DS in the crotch. I am SO against that. I think hitting, kicking, and spitting happens and its normal among kids and especially boys, but kicking in the crotch is a HUGE no no pet peave of mine. I would be raising some hell for sure.
yeah, it was a tough call, to raise hell or not, the fact that my son was hurt none-the-worse for the wear made me believe that the other kid attempted to kick him there, but got mostly thigh, or didn't connect at all. Just the way DS told it, didn't seem like it was a serious "hit" DS is pretty tall, there's entirely a chance that the kid "whiffed" entirely. So, my thought was a combination of let me son handle his own battle and trust that the teacher took it to another level even though it wasn't immediately apparent. ya pick your battles

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I mean if it was more of an attempt than a success, I would probably lean more towards not raising hell but I'd still be mad. As long as DS wasn't actually really hurt by it. I was thinking he got a blow to the crotch and was in all this pain and maybe crying like most boys would if they were successfully struck in that area. Still not happy that it was attempted, but I would have a hard time making a big stink about it if DS was okay and didn't really get hurt.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, I don't want to be that parent who is constantly complaing to the teacher, principal etc...I know those people just end up getting ignored. I try to only get worked up about bigger deals (but then again, I probably fail to react soon enough sometimes, it's a blessing, it's a curse.)

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I hate to judge anything based on a 30 second YouTube clip, but I have to admit I'm on the 'good for him' side too.

To me it looked like perfectly measured force. The other kid had him up against a wall and delivered what appeared to be the first punch. Casey delivered precisely the amount of force necessary to end the confrontation and no more. He didn't kick the bully when he was down. He threw the kid to the ground and walked away. (At least, that's how it looked.)

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
what i noticed, and affirmed from this discussion is that whenever kids fight, adults will NEVER find out what really happened. because what really trigger it, is eithrer "within adult approval" or kids simply don't tell everything.

iParent

Banned
Apr 2, 2011
It's seriously sad how some schools will punish kids for tattling.
Quick factoid: one said kid online posted that he was punished for telling the school a kid dealed drugs.

another quick factoid: you're gullible.