Can we wrap up the changes....

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Sounds like the worksheet is OK as is. Correct?? Yes/No

Also we (I) have spilled the beans and need to fix the 5 post rule.

I personally would like a couple of required fields in the profile when registering. Something that says, I am a mom/dad/sibling/aunt/hoping to/ ect ect... or kids are this old ect... A little info would go a long way in offering the best help we could. I am open to anything at this point. Just to close an issue that should be corrected. Something that says human. I really dont care. That one thread has my u-know-whats in a bunch right now. So I am cool with something simple and quick.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I think everything is in order! I'm not sure what you mean about the info though. It's hard to REQUIRE info out of people (if that's what you mean), unfortunately. I wouldn't do that. I agree it would be really nice though. Don't get upset about that dumb thread bssage, it's just a random dummy over the internet being dumb. :wubclub:

The only thing I'm confused about is the welcome message or whatever. What exactly is it, when does it pop up, and what should it say? If I understood that then I would help you write it up or whatever. Anything else I can do to help?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I cant find a welcome message. And it wont let me register as a new user. We may have to enlist the help of a new member just to see if we have a welcome message or what it is. It makes no difference to me but I think we do need to have something to sort the botts. Anyone know what options there are?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Are we ready to propose the new changes. Dadu brought up something we have all talked about before and that's to add a separate Private forum where members need at least 300-400 post before they can join in. I like it cause it will help us regulars cut down on all of the..simple single answers that many give that really are not helpful.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yes I think that the "Private" forum would be a very important addition. :) And I'm wondering what the hold up is on doing this stuff?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I was going back over the original thread asking about this stuff, and did I gather correctly that he wants us to start a thread in the forum asking the members what changes they want and if they like what we are thinking etc? Or did I just make that up in my head? lol

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I was under the impression we were going to just hammer it out ourselves.

300-400 post before they can join in.
Dont we have something similar to that with the photo thread?

I want to tell him this is what we want (whatever that may be). Were kinda at a filibusterer.

We need to find the intro letter. I am going to try and register under a different name and see what I find. And figure out a way to stop the bots.

Things I see in other forums:

Limit the forums they post in for a certain thread count.

That colored "what is this word" thingy (I hate that thing)

Mod approval on the first few threads.

A little info section required that bots are not familiar with.

I know we dont have a lot of bots now. But that may because of the system that is in place. I dont think there is anything for trolls. Dont even know what that would be. Guess thats why we are mods.

I say lets try to present what we want by Monday. And be done with it.

Registration letter

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
Although the administrators and moderators of Parenting Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Parenting Forums, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of Parenting Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
Looks OK to me. Maybe just highlight a couple of things in it.

My opinion is first post in the intro thread (Forced, Have to do to post in the forum). Then have fun. I think its simple, not overly complicated or time consuming. And may help us give better advice. Not the profile, just the intro.

Then set up the forum like in the sample sheet. Then maybe some pay raises for the moderators.

Not really sold on a big post count separate forum. But if you all want it I will ask for it. Maybe we could just change the name on the photo ablum to "Veterans thread"

Just tell me what you want and I will yank CG's chain.

Last edited:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
No, I like the photo album being just for photos. I think a "Private" forum would be very useful for those of us that have known each other for a long time that want to post issues that we would prefer not be on the public forum, without mucking up the forum that is specifically for pictures of our kids. I have had several people ask me about a private forum. Dadu, StJohnJulie, Singledad, to name a few. I think it would be preferable for it to be seperate from the family album, with more posts required to be in it than the family album.

I still don't understand what he wants done with the intro letter lol.

Anyway, we already use Captcha.
I think other than that we could just make them put their first post in the intro thread. Any more than that I think would be going overboard.

So, rundown of changes?

- Private forum, 400+ posts to see it

- Get rid of 5 post rule in favor of first post in intro forum rule

- New forum for Polls/Surveys

- Linking allowed in signature

- we need to redo the forum rules

Agree? We need to just keep it simple and get it done IMO.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Xero said:
No, I like the photo album being just for photos. I think a "Private" forum would be very useful for those of us that have known each other for a long time that want to post issues that we would prefer not be on the public forum, without mucking up the forum that is specifically for pictures of our kids. I have had several people ask me about a private forum. Dadu, StJohnJulie, Singledad,

OK. didnt know that

- Private forum, 400+ posts to see it

- Get rid of 5 post rule in favor of first post in intro forum rule

- New forum for Polls/Surveys

- Linking allowed in signature

- we need to redo the forum rules

Agree? We need to just keep it simple and get it done IMO.
Yes I am OK with that.