Can't sleep...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Have to say, it's weird posting when other people are online.

Ash is having his pacemaker replaced tomorrow... well technically today and I'm ridicuously nervous and he is fine and sleeping and acting like it's just a normal day.

Since I've known him he's always had the same one, he's just had battery changes which is minor day surgery, but now he's getting a fancy new one with a defibrillator in it and it can go in an MRI machine, plus some wireless thing that records any abnormal heart activity that his doctor can scan. Technology is amazing.

I don't know, I'm just scared and nervous and need to somewhere to let it out at 3am.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I was trying to do the math, on how you were on here now....

my sister has an implanted defibrilator, actually her second one after a problem with the first after it had been implanted a long time. The newer technology keeps getting better and better.

Don't worry, he'll be at the right place so they can handle anything that will come up. Having this done is much better than taking your odds without.

We'll be thinking of you though, hope that helps.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hang in there! I would be a mess too. So scary. IADad is right though, it will be a good thing for him and they know what they're doing there! We are here for you. <3 Hope it's quick and uneventful and he heals right up. :)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
It went smoothly, which was great. I'm just fascinated because this one is so much smaller, the whole bandage he has on at the moment is smaller than his old one, apparently it's flatter too so it won't protrude out so far, which is different. I just can't wrap my head around it doing so much more yet being so much smaller.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
and I bet the insides are better too.

Didn't want to scare you before, the reason my sister had hers explanted and a new one implanted was some of the wires coroded and were short circuiting and she was getting defibb'ed over and over again, it was scary. Her new one is supposed to be much better for the internal construction as well as being smart to know not to do that if something goes wrong.

I knew you certainly didn't need a horror story yesterday. Glad it's come out well.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
So glad to hear! Technology really does just more amazing all the time. :) They can make things smarter, but smaller.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
IADad said:
Didn't want to scare you before, the reason my sister had hers explanted and a new one implanted was some of the wires coroded and were short circuiting and she was getting defibb'ed over and over again, it was scary. Her new one is supposed to be much better for the internal construction as well as being smart to know not to do that if something goes wrong.
That was kind of the reason why he had everything replaced, not that it happened, but his old cardiologist retired so he was referred to a new one who looked at his record and realised that whilst he has had the unit replaced, he still had the wiring he had implanted in 1989, and whilst it still seemed to be in good condition, she did mention that there was a chance of that happening with wiring so old. Not to mention the possibility of the wires just not sending the impulse through, which some people can risk for a short period of time, but some really can't. He has a 3rd degree AV block, so only half his heart beats on it's own, so he falls into that 'can't risk it' category.