Car Seats...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I didn't want to hijack singledad's thread with a carseat comparison, so I'm starting one of my own. I've owned lots of models and installed them in at least five vehicles, and I'm not very impressed.

The South African ISOFIX looks like the U.S. LATCH system, according to the Wikipedia picture, but they show it under a removable cover. I've never seen a seat designed with a removable cover. My LATCH points are shoved about an inch and a half under the seat cushions, so you have to shove your hand in there and feel for it. It's not terribly hard to snap on, but to get it off, you have to shove your hand back in, twist, and then "help" it slide off with your finger. That's when it pinches.

I've had them installed at the fire station a few times, but it takes them just as long. It just seems like back seats should be more kid-friendly in the first place. I mean, that's basically what everyone uses them for. How many people actually haul three adults in the back of a sedan? I know most wouldn't even fit in the back seat of my car.

Come to think of it, it would be better if cars didn't come with pre-installed back seats at all. Have some kind of universal anchorage system where you can install any size seat you want. Maybe a row of three regular size back seats. Maybe two full-size adult seats instead. Or even a rear-facing bench, so everyone faces backwards (safer) and you can load them in from the hatchback. I don't know... it just seems redundant to have a seat designed for adults, which you have to secure another seat on top of - often with difficulty - and try to make fit. Not to mention that seat "designed for adults" is often too narrow front-to-back for any adults, and certainly too narrow for three.

I mean, most models of carseats won't fit three in a row in a typical compact car. Yet there are three seat belts. It's supposed to fit three passengers. And kids are small. It shouldn't be impossible to fit three of them in a row. Maybe they should make "double" and "triple" carseats, connected to save space right-to-left.

The other problem is front-to-back space. I had a "convertible" car seat for one my kids, which meant it could face forward or backward. But of course it was big, so it could fit a bigger kid. So the back stuck out so far when it was in a rear-facing position that it ran into the front seats. So you couldn't actually use it in the rear-facing position; you had to buy the smaller infant car seats that can't be installed forward-facing and won't accommodate a larger child. (So basically if you have a smaller vehicle, you can't utilize the convertible models. You have to buy two.) Something bolted directly to the floor, instead of strapped onto a pre-existing seat, would use less space.

It seems like every imaginable convenience has been manufactured for adults. It's like the people engineering things don't have kids or something!

Oh... and we shouldn't even need booster seats. If they are ready for an ordinary safety belt, it should be able to come down low enough to accommodate their shoulders! It's absurd to have to install a seat on top of a seat, simply because the shoulder strap (which is often already adjustable) isn't adjustable enough. The back seat is for kids! A problem I often have with booster seats is that the safety belt will "lock up" and I'm forced to feed it back in and pull it all out again. Well, if it's already looped through the shoulder strap hole in the booster, it's often too tight to get out in the first place. So I basically have to twist and yank the whole booster out. Once I had to uninstall the carseat next to it. Such a hassle! (As for that, it seems like there could at least be a "release" button on the safety belt.)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I am so confused right now, haha.

All I can say is, Sasha ages out of booster seats next year and then I am done with the wretched things forever.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
akmom said:
The South African ISOFIX looks like the U.S. LATCH system, according to the Wikipedia picture, but they show it under a removable cover. I've never seen a seat designed with a removable cover. My LATCH points are shoved about an inch and a half under the seat cushions, so you have to shove your hand in there and feel for it. It's not terribly hard to snap on, but to get it off, you have to shove your hand back in, twist, and then "help" it slide off with your finger. That's when it pinches.
My GF's car does not had a removable cover. Or if it has, I didn't find it. :p

Fortunately I didn't have to stick my hands between the seat cushions to clip it in. It has fittings in the back that you extend, and you just push them in there until they lock. It also has a button on the site which they claim will release the clips, allowing you to just yank it out. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds easy enough. I have to say, though, it was way easier than installing Steffi's car seat was. Getting hers to clip in was a real struggle. Seems like they've improved the design considerably in the last few years. :) Or maybe it isn't exactly the same system. I believe our ISOFIX is also used in Europe...

As for booster seats - my DD only stopped using her last one early this year. I also have another gadget that is basically a strap that you thread aroung the seat (from top to bottom). It has an adjustable clip for the seatbelt, thus enabling you to lower the seatbelt, rather then raise the child. She still uses it. And the beauty is it takes less than a minute to install (You just tilt the seat foward, thread it through and fasten it), so moving it from one car to another is a non-issue.

Not the exact same product, but something like this -

As for rear seats - I've had adults in the back of my car enough times to justify their existence. Anything from sharing a car when going out to a restaurant, to allow them to have wine with their dinner, to helping colleagues who use public transport get to work functions, to sharing a car when going on holiday, to save on fuel and toll fees. There was also a time when I happened to live close to three other colleagues, and we formed a "life-club" - taking turns to pick up the others and share a car to work, to save on fuel.

Sure, three adults can't exactly sit there comfortably, but two can, and three can sit there for short distances. And three older kids will be able to sit there comfortably. I can, however, see that car manufacturers would just LOVE to be allowed to charge extra for rear seats. I often think that if it they thought they could get away with it, some of them would try to turn the wheels into an "optional extra". So please don't let them know that you don't consider rear seats a necessity!

akmom said:
I mean, most models of carseats won't fit three in a row in a typical compact car. Yet there are three seat belts. It's supposed to fit three passengers. And kids are small. It shouldn't be impossible to fit three of them in a row. Maybe they should make "double" and "triple" carseats, connected to save space right-to-left.
I have to say, I've never known anyone who needed to fit three car seats at the same time. Usually, by the time number three is born, number 1 is old enough to move to a much more compack booser seat - something like this:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think those backless boosters are illegal for sale here now, you can still use them, but you can't buy them, Sasha has an old plastic one like that (okay, it's the same one Dita used, yes I realise they expire but clearly I'm happy to take that risk, for a plastic bucket seat I think that's the biggest load of bull ever), but now boosters sold here have to be these ones:

[/URL]

I can get 8 in my car, the regular 5 seats plus three sideways dickie seats in the back, can't attach anything to the dickie seats obviously but I reckon I could get three full carseats in the back of mine.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My oldest was in a booster by the time my youngest was born, but fit was still an issue. I had to get a new carseat for my middle child, with higher armrests, so they could overlap with the armrests on my daughter's booster. There isn't room for all those armrests. I also had to get a special narrow carseat for my youngest when she was born, rather than use my old one, in order to fit the three seats. Even backless boosters have armrests.

Most people I know with three kids upgraded to a minivan or similar model with the third row. I really didn't want to. Fuel economy is a big deal for me, and an extra row shouldn't be necessary for a family of five. When I was a kid, we could seat six in a car (three front, three back).

I'd love to see how a car is designed to seat eight, Cybele. I had a pickup with two fold-up back seats once, but I'm not sure where a third one could go...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Set up similar to this

[/URL]

Only I've got a longer space so I have a bench that seats two on the right and a single seat on the left.

I've got a 4 door wrangler though, so there's a fair bit of space to play with.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Ah, the bench seats! I didn't know they made those any more. My pick-up seats were far narrower than that. Those are nice. My husband has a rig from the 1960s with bench seats like that. It fits seven passengers buckled, and easily could seat nine without buckles. And it's so small! Pretty sure it doesn't meet today's manufacturing standards though. We take it on the trails.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Actually that one's just perfect for your family, isn't it? Seats all eight, and isn't really that big a vehicle. Too bad they put the steering wheel on the wrong side.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
You have no idea how many times in the past 15 odd years I have had the conversation while watching TV of

"Muuuumm why is the car the wrong way around? "
"Because that's how cars are in some countries and this is an American show"
"Why do some countries do that?"
"Because in the countries with the different cars they drive on the other side of the road"
"Why?"
"Umm... ask you father, I don't know"

And in the case of Sasha, this conversation ended with the statement "When I grow up I'm gonna invent a car that runs on farts" which was just lovely.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Here is my understanding of it. Back in the Dark Ages, when one passed a stranger on the road, they never knew if that person was a threat. So it became tradition to greet passersby on horseback with a drawn sword. Since most people are right-handed, and prefer to wield their swords in the right hand, they kept to the left. This way, their right-handed swords could meet in between. So you passed each other on the left, greeting with a drawn sword, so travelers could automatically assume a defensive position without actually initiating an altercation. That's how riding/driving on the left became common law.

After the American Revolution, the colonists wanted to make it hard for Britain to ever integrate the new nation into its empire again. So they reversed the common law tradition to riding/driving to the right.

I hope I didn't butcher it. A car that ran on farts might not get much mileage for most people, but I'm sure there'd still be a market for it!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
Here is my understanding of it. Back in the Dark Ages, when one passed a stranger on the road, they never knew if that person was a threat. So it became tradition to greet passersby on horseback with a drawn sword. Since most people are right-handed, and prefer to wield their swords in the right hand, they kept to the left. This way, their right-handed swords could meet in between. So you passed each other on the left, greeting with a drawn sword, so travelers could automatically assume a defensive position without actually initiating an altercation. That's how riding/driving on the left became common law.

After the American Revolution, the colonists wanted to make it hard for Britain to ever integrate the new nation into its empire again. So they reversed the common law tradition to riding/driving to the right.
And then we invented the "hi five" a much nicer way of greeting a passing stranger....(and I just totally made that up)

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
lol IADad you are very funny. I am very glad to be finished with car seats the regulations keep changing all the time so it must be very hard to keep up

Hassty

Jul 22, 2020
I'm sure that this particular device is really necessary when you have a baby. I know that many parents are ready to argue with me, which is more important, but I think that the first trip to your pediatrician for a checkup with your baby, when you go there alone, you will understand why I think that baby car seats are a real necessity in every the car in which you are planning a trip with your baby.