Cell Phone Privacy...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Okay, not sure if this is really a parenting headline, it somewhat is because it affects our freedom as well as that of our minor children who use/possess cell phones.

As you may or may not know, the US Supreme court is hearing arguments today about a case where the police searched someone's cell phone after arresting them without seeking a search warrant. The State's argument is that it's an item on there person and searching it is the same as searching someone's pockets or wallet (which I did not know they could do.) The opposing argument is that cell phones contain much more than incidental evidence on one's person, that the entirety of one's personal information could be contained on a phone and it should be subject to the same restrictions applied to a search of one's home. Thoughts?

For those not in the US, how is this issue addressed in your country?

From a purely operational point of view, if a screen is locked do the police have a way to defeat that lock short of asking you to unlock it or obtaining a court order to have the phone provider do it?

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
I know this post is a little old, but interesting nonetheless.

I'd be tempted to say that they'd need a search warrant. Searching someone's cell phone would be like searching someone's computer and I think they need a search warrant for that as well. It's pretty much the same thing.. stored data.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
In my opinion it's way over stepping the line. I agree with Page, it's stored data, and it's way more information than policeman need. An ID from the wallet is about all that's needed if they have sufficient evidence to arrest someone. Getting on my phone and looking at my pictures is not okay.