Cheerleading?...

NickW345

Jul 30, 2014
Would you feel disappointment if your daughter told you she wanted to be a cheerleader?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
No. But from what I've learned, it's not a long term, sustainable career, if that's the motive.
As long as my daughter remains true to herself and doesn't use it as a popularity ladder, I don't see the problem.
It is a dangerous activity when lifts are implemented and extreme exertion is encouraged. There are moves and formations that are actually illegal in some places.
But otherwise, it can be great for a physical activity and if that's what she wants then you go girl.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
It's not about reputation but about the way the pros are treated. Here is an article about a lawsuit filed by an ex-Raiderette.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-pro-cheerleading-may-be-one-of-americas-worst-jobs/[/URL]

This is just one example, but I've been hearing similar complaints for years. Girls are pressured into getting plastic surgery to look perfect. Some teams it's required and are expected to take out credit to pay for it. They get into deep debt because they are not paid enough for basic living expenses on top of what they need to stay on the team. There are a plethora of rules attached to their contract.
It's deemed the worst career for a girl to get into, and one of the most dangerous.
Hollywood makes it look glamorous, hard work but glamorous with a lot of perks.
It's alright for kids and teens who want to do it recreationally and for competitions. It's no different than dance or gymnastics in terms of risks and pressure to be perfect.

My point of view is that I wouldn't get angry at my daughter if she wanted to be a cheerleader but I would make sure she knew that it's not a wise career path. But I don't have to worry about that because my daughter is not into those things.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
It's such a casual, non-serious thing here, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. No such thing as professional cheerleading here.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
We have Bomber Girls, but that's it for professional cheerleading. It's bigger in the states. Only a few of the bigger high schools in my city have teams, but I do know of a place where kids are taught cheerleading that is not part of a school. I think kids are going to private cheerleading gyms instead, and they concentrate on the competitions.

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
There is nothing wrong with being a cheerleader. It is good for kid's to get involved in things at school. It helps them to enjoy going to school and also helps them to keep their grades up.

marrykerry77

Jan 9, 2016
<t>Don’t be afraid that your and your daughter’s views on activities are different. Firstly, you shouldn’t forget that cheerleading is a sport – it requires discipline and patience like any other sport. It also teaches how to work in the team and develops leader qualities. Some girls choose cheerleading only for social needs which is also a positive moment – it helps them become useful and popular, realize their ambitions, build friendships.</t>

nwcrazy

PF Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2011
Nick, to be honest "YES". As a father I would not be happy.

Since my daughter was in preschool, I've always stressed that it's better to be the player. That folks pay to watch the players. Why be on the sidelines when you can be on the field? Not just in sports, but in the real world. It's a mindset.

joeroot9357

Apr 4, 2016
new york
That would be the worlds biggest disappointment for me, i never treated them with poor learning at all and cant expect to become whore

JBowson

Apr 20, 2016
It's not a big thing.. cheerleading is just a momentum, you can't build career from it.

Jerseyknox

May 19, 2020
My story is simple: I have been a day trader for 5 years, then I decided to start playing around with betting on sports on the side. It slowly started growing and I started getting more involved in it, until I found myself making a decent amount of money via xbet apk for Android .