Child Surveillance & Nanny Cams...

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
I'm curious your thoughts, and concerns around this subject. As your kids grow older GPS transmitters, and locators will be in Walmart.

Right now you can put hidden cameras any where you wanted to keep an eye on them.

Is anyone else using technology to protect their children?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I'm not at this point. No need, she has never been with a babysitter other then her aunt and grandparents and even then only 2 or 3 times. I think if I had a nanny I might consider something like that.
As far as GPS systems go, I wouldn't say that I wouldn't use them ever. Maybe when she is older and she has a cell phone. BUT I would never use it to "cehck up on her" it would be for emergencies. If I don't trust her to go out unless I could track her then she isn't going out yk?

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
When Hannah was in preschool, her school had cameras in every classroom, and parents had a computer login so that they could watch their children on a live feed via a secure-access website. It didn't have sound, and by no means did I log in every day, but I would peek in on her if I knew she had a bad morning, or if they were doing an exciting activity I couldn't be there for.

I wouldn't have put anything like a nanny cam in my house though.

As far as GPS and tracking systems when she is older, I would probably invest in them in case of emergency, but only use it if she was home late, or if I had reason to believe that she wasn't where she said she was.

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
I use cameras like your preschool did. Just another tool to peek in on them to make sure they are okay. I have remote cameras that I have use with the young ones to help us keep an eye on them.

Kaytee, I agree with your plan to not let them go out if you need to track them. Hannah's Mom I like your thinking around what if she's late kind of thing.

I will have one on my daughters car so that I can check on her if I have a concern. Not that I don't trust her, but she will be learning some of the most valuable lessons of her life during this time, and I want to make sure I'm there to coach her if she gets a little sideways. She will know about the GPS just like she knows we have her MySpace passwords, and email. I never check them, but I think just knowing that Dad is close helps her make the right decisions, and most of all gives her an excuse to her friends. "No I can't drive to Vegas my Dad will know" type of thing.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't use anything like that. I lie to them instead..hahaha They think I have a camera in there rooms!! It's funny because they will be doing something they are not supposed to and I'll say something and it only proves the point that I DO have a camera..hahaha
Its my third eye ;)

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I think I will probably have a GPS as a safety measure. As of now I am home with them and so it is unneeded.