Children and Stress Management...

Sumera

Apr 5, 2013
India
Stress is an inevitable part of life. Human beings experience stress early, even before they are born. A certain amount of stress is normal and necessary for survival. Stress helps children develop the skills they need to cope with and adapt to new and potentially threatening situations throughout life. Support from parents and/or other concerned caregivers are necessary for children to learn how to respond to stress in a physically and emotionally healthy manner.

Any human of any age is actually susceptible to stress, so children are not uniquely prone to it. They're just as likely as any of us to become stressed. There's no specific age where you'd start noticing this or seeing this. The symptoms of stress are pretty much the same for kids and adults. And things to watch for would be changes in mood or changes in behaviour, low mood, anxiety, lack of interest in things that the child use to enjoy and trouble sleeping, trouble eating, trouble doing the things they usually do pretty well. Most people figure that stress is something that affects adults only, but these days, with all the pressures put on children, they can suffer from it as well. Stress in children can have some very negative effects and if it continues for a long while, it can be detrimental to a child's health and development.

Tolerable stress refers to adverse experiences that are more intense but still relatively short-lived. Examples include the death of a loved one, a natural disaster, a frightening accident, and family disruptions such as separation or divorce. If a child has the support of a caring adult, tolerable stress can usually be overcome. Stress is most often seen as an overt physical reaction: crying, sweating palms, running away, aggressive or defensive outbursts, rocking and self-comforting behaviours, headaches and stomach-aches, nervous fine motor behaviours etc. the first and foremost change should come from the side of parent who understand child more than anyone else in this world. Other than parents school can play a major role in this as children rely more on teachers and friends. It is the responsibility of every best Hyderabad school and teachers to lighten the study stress and other mental stress of a child. If they all work collectively to pacify the stress and burden in the mind of a child, then there is a possibility where we can hope for a stress free generation.

Thanks

Sumera
sumera.fatima@peoplecombine.com

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
Well, I agree with you that there is no specific age to get susceptible to stress. Stree is basicxally caused with challenges of everyday life. However, Stress itself is not a bad thing but it makes you learn new things and keeps your brain functioning. In case of kids, they deal with stress in both healthy and unhealthy ways. But as a parent we should try to listen the kids solve their stress issue and be patient while dealing with them.

lolly jone

Aug 17, 2013
i think that children get the stress from us
the simplest way to handle it is to take it easy as adults and be cool ourselves

ella

PF Regular
Feb 17, 2014
I agree that children need to learn how to deal with stress. If they do not, then it will build up and soon they explode and just create a bigger mess.

phonetherapylin

Jun 3, 2014
Green Bay WI
By educating ourselves as parents can have a direct affect in our childrens lives. Look for any and all avenues to better yourself as a parent. If your not getting what you think you need from literature try to find a trained listening ear to help you find the best ways to having a loving family.

m3zomo

Oct 31, 2015
Thank you for sharing, no doubt that we the parent who transfer the stress toward our kids!

navitasharma

May 12, 2016
In my opinion, it is important for parents to get their child involved in activities such as yoga, taekwondo, dance and art and crafts. Such activities not only keep the kids entertained, but also keep them relaxed and stress free throughout the day.

SuzieStG

Jun 8, 2016
Victoria, Australia
I have co-authored a little e-book for parents: The Worry-Free Tree: Bedtime meditations for children aged 4 - 8 years. I work with neural reprogramming and the three little meditations there establish neural pathways that minimize a child's susceptibility to stress. It is available in iBooks or from my own Store at www.reachpotential.com.au.

newmomma568

Oct 21, 2016
Follow these seven tips which help your kids to manage stress efficiently:
1. Stop overscheduling.
2. Give them sufficient to play.
3. Make sure that your child gets at least eight hours of sleep.
4. Teach your kids to listen to their bodies.
5. Make sure that you don't show up your stress in front of your children.
6. Make their mornings calmer.
7. Teach them how to accept and deal with their mistakes.

SuzieStG

Jun 8, 2016
Victoria, Australia
Great advice, new momma. Only thing I would query is your guidance about not showing stress. A parent's stress is communicated with a child energetically - though the energy of thoughts and feelings, not just behavior - so trying not to 'show' your stress is not enough. You have to be able to clear your own stressful thoughts. This can be done through simple inner exercises. If you are interested in them, please let me know in a private message. Best wishes