Children becoming attached to comfort items...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I have known many people over the years that seem to have an extreme dislike for children becoming attached to comfort items. Countless times I have seen parents introduce a comfort item to their child, such as a pacifier or a stuffed animal, just to spend an enormous amount of effort directly afterwards on taking it away. A lot of parents set very specific time limits on when the blanket or the bottle should be taken away for good, often times much sooner than when the child is naturally old enough to comfort themselves without it. These parents cannot be blamed however, in this day and age all we hear about are what we should and should not do, and at what times, from doctors and in parenting books. What I think parents should try to remember is to always follow their instincts first, and to just go with the flow.

We give these things to our children with the intent of comforting them when they aren’t capable of comforting themselves. In light of this, shouldn’t we let them keep these things until we determine for ourselves that they don’t need them anymore? I think we, as parents, are more than able to decide when our kids are ready to be without a pacifier, a bottle, or a special blanket. No doctor or book should be making the decisions for us, or pressuring us to do things by a certain magical age. We know when our kids are ready. I gave into these pressures with my older son when he was a baby. I was young and impressionable, and I felt like I was required to take advice from certain people and follow through with it. I took the pacifier from him at seven months old, when he was still very much reliant on it for comfort, and I still regret it to this day. It simply led to an attachment to his bottle and subsequently to his sippy cup. It was as if I simply traded one attachment for another, and if you ask me the pacifier is a better alternative for healthy teeth and the like. It also required a lot of crying and unhappy days to accomplish this, which I do not enjoy looking back on. To this day I wish I would have just let him keep that thing! I gained absolutely nothing out of taking it away from him so early, except for maybe the approval of onlookers.

I waited until my older son was obviously ready to give up his sippy cup just after turning four, and he has done amazing with it! He was <I>very</I> attached to it up until this point, took it with him everywhere, and needed it at all times. I saw the signs that he was becoming less attached to it and more interested in drinking out of “big boy” cups and straws, and I went for it. I told him how it was going to be, and he agreed. The next day it was regular cups only, and he only nonchalantly asked about his sippy cups a few times after that, otherwise the transition was drama free! Some may say that I allowed him to have it for too long, but I am very happy with the way things went this time around and I wouldn’t do it any other way.

As kids get older, they have an easier time comforting themselves and they grow out of the things that they were attached to for so long. I promise you, you will not have a 14 year old walking around sucking on a pacifier and I haven’t seen many teenagers that still drag their blankies around. Try not to get caught up in the here and now, consumed with the “cut-offs” and the “professional advice” you hear from other people and read in parenting books. Sometimes it’s just about what <I>you </I>feel is right and the cues that your children give you to make the right decisions for them. Give them a little longer with those comfort items, they will only be little for a short while, and there’s no need to worry about what other people think. There is nothing wrong with kids using these special items for comfort. We want our kids to be comfortable! Am I right? It’s natural for them to find comfort in special items, and there is nothing wrong with it in the least. There is no need to rush getting rid of them. You will always know when the time is right and that is what you should always stick with.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I saved this story for here, but I had a friend that had a blanket that she took everywhere. At one point it was no longer a blanket but a scrap of the blanket, she was well into her teens and still needed it to sleep lol.

I agree though, parents need to read their childs cues. For so many they follow society norms instead of the most important person; their child.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's so funny!!! I think if I still had my "blanky" today I would totally keep it in bed with me. :p My blanky passed away (haha) when I was around 13 and I moved on to a purple teddy bear that I slept with pretty much up until ODS was born, then I started cuddling with him at night instead! :D I never hurt anybody doing that though. It's not like I took my blanky or teddy bear to school with me or anything lol. I still have the bear but now it sits on my dresser.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I totally agree with this line of thinking. I wish we never took the pacifiers away so early (or never gave them in the first place!) My kids now have the habit of putting EVERYTHING in their mouths, Im sure as a comfort thing similar to their pacifiers. Im worried that this oral fixation is going to lead to them drawn to smoking later in life!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I hope not! It would break my heart if my kids ever started smoking. I also wish I hadn't taken ODS's pacifier away so early (like I said above), it made him so attached to his bottle and then sippy cup, which he constantly sucked on and so constantly had milk/juice in his mouth which I think may have contributed to his cavities. If I had just let him keep the darn pacifier he could have sucked on that and learned how to drink his milk and juice in a more healthy manner. I was just so pressured by everyone around me to take it away!

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
depends what the item is... A pacifier or a bottle -- yeah, it is quite odd when you see 4 or 5 year old still with it. No wonder that people are forcing kids to give up these things.
soft toys is another story. I know a middle-aged man who still keeps his a teddybear as a talisman -- he had it since he was born.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree, it's true that there is a difference. Perhaps by a certain age (two or three) the pacifier or bottle should be kept only for night time and nap times, or definitely only at home. No need to take those everywhere, but to at least have them during the important times like trying to sleep etc. Also, around four years old is when most kids start becoming more independent and less attached to these things, plus it's a GREAT time to transition them away. They are much older and more understanding of things, with the ability to be proud of themselves. I remember a member from a long time ago that said he went to build a bear and had his daughter put her pacifier inside of her new bear. Some people tie the pacifier to balloons and "send them to the babies". Parents talk to them about what big boys/girls they are and why these things are going away, and they completely understand. When you take a one or two year old's pacifier away, they will NOT understand why it's happening, and it's more likely to be traumatic for them. Basically, I am not saying let them stay forever, but to keep them until they are old enough to understand and cope with them beign taken away. Know what I mean?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think about this every time I tuck in DS2, find his blanket and give it to him...he doesn't ask for it but he almost smiles in his sleep when he gets it. He's not super attached to it, he gets that it doesn't go with him places, etc. so i don't have a problem perpetuating it and he doesn't make too much of a fuss if it's in the laundry or otherwise out of service.

I still have my stuffed lion from my childhood, although he's tucked away and I have a home made teddy bear my mom and sisters made for me, but that's another reason and another story.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
My daughter didn't have a blankie or an animal she took everywhere with her until she was 3.5. She did take a pacifier until she was 3. I took it from her then because it was affecting her speech and the development of her mouth.

I had tried for a long time to get her to develop an attachment for some sort of doll or comfort item because I think it develops other things as well, but she wasn't interested. Then one day, she found a stuffed animal at a consignment shop. She wanted me to buy it for her, but for whatever reasons, I wasn't going to. When we got in the car, she had it in her hands. I know I should have made a big deal about stealing and not let her keep it, but instead I went inside and paid for the animal.

She took him everywhere with her for the next year. She slept with him every night. She would say, "Ohana means family and family means nobody gets left behind," grab her animal with one hand and slip her other one into mine. About the same time, she developed an attachment to a blankie.

It comforted me as well that she had a comfort animal. It showed she was capable of deep attachments. It showed she was learning about loyalty. It helped her learn a tiny little bit about responsibility. And I knew it was something else that would be looked back on with fondness as she became an adult, more memories to cement her place on a firm foundation of a happy childhood.

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Children need babies to take to bed with them, granddaughter at the age of 7 will sometimes have so many babies in bed with her that I can't see her -highest count to date is 18.

As adults we like to cuddle into our partners, it makes us feel safe &amp; secure, the same with little ones &amp; their babies.

When I was growing up I had a teddy bear called "Nice" he was so well loved that he finished up in one of my mothers stockings because the stuffing was coming out of him. My father eventually took him to the tip, to this day I still miss my "Nice." lol

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aw, that's so cute Sally! I definitely had a lot of babies as a little girl myself. My bed was usually covered in stuffed animals, though. It is nice to have something familiar and comforting to fall asleep. I miss my husband when he works third shift! But that's okay, I still have the baby to cuddle with. ;)

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
my 3yo is the most attached to my boobs out of all of my kids. He didnt wean while I was pregnant, and still feeds now. To me its not an issue, I dont mind him being attached to me, and as long as my 18 month old (and any future bubs) arent missing out, I dont mind feeding him until he self weans.
Id rather that than a grade 1 with a dummy/blankie at school.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I see nothing wrong with it at all! As long as you have enough of a supply to feed the baby too then what does it matter? Not only that, but it's good for him. :)