Children's creative toys...

asm88

Jan 13, 2012
I am looking for some innovative ways of getting my son to be creative, because I feel this will enhance his development and allowing him to express himself later on in life.
So has anyone got any children's arts and crafts ideas?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Not a toy. But DS and I would tell bedtime stories every night untill he was probably around 8. The rule for the stories where they had to revolve around <U>a</U> truth. But they could be whatever they wanted after that. Kinda like a game to figure out the made up part and the real part. He could (and did) make them as crazy as he wanted.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
not so sure "arts and crafts" are the route to creativity....what age? What things does he like to do? Creativity takes lots of forms, there's being musically or artisitcally creative, there's iagminary play, there's taking a creative approach to athletic play...I agree that fostering creativity is a good thing, but I think it comes from the things they like to do or want to do, and if he doesn't know then it's time to expose him to more "stuff"

Buttaflly227

PF Regular
Jan 31, 2012
I am a CRAFT FANATIC and am SO glad you want your child to do crafts! You can get appropriate supplies at any craft store or contact me for alternative materials.

Activities really do depend on age but here are some ideas:

1) <I>Decorate a picture frame</I>: All you do is buy a blank wooden one, or use an old one, get a glue gun, and use seashells, buttons, string, rocks, etc to decorate a little picture frame and you can even put a picture of the two of you making it in the frame!
2) <I>Clay</I> is a very creative type toy for kids and it's better than play dough because it doesn't dry out.
3) Paint a <I>plaster craft</I> creation (http://www.plastercraft.com/)
4) Get cardboard boxes and <I>make a castles</I>, cars, turtle shells,etc.
5) <I>Make bird treats</I> by finding pine cones,tying a string on them so it can hang from a tree, spreading peanut butter on them and rolling it in birdseed. :)
6) <I>Make up your own board game</I> by taking a piece of plywood (from home improvement store), decorating it, using toys as figurines and making up the game and rules.
7) <I>Fingerpaint </I> is always a fun way to paint at any age!
8) <U>Decorate a step stool[/U. I remember when I was young my uncle made a little step stool for my cousin and I. He painted it all pink and helped me put my handprints on it and even my name. I used it for years.
9) <I>Decorate your mailbox</I>. Mailboxes are SO BORING! Have you little one put his handprints, favorite characters, foods, etc on it along with yours to create a truly unique, and meaningful mailbox.
10) <U>Paint a rock for your garden</U>.

Enjoy!</U>