Chloe Hitting...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
This is some actual correspondence I am having in regard to Chloe (Autistic special needs). Saying and doing the right thing is very important to me. I dont want to risk losing My Chloe "dream team" I thought maybe you all could read it. Point out anything I missed/overlooked. Or highlight anything that I may have made confusing (I do that sometimes:rolleyes:).

This is one of those deals that I want to be doing the right thing. Rather than thinking I am doing the right thing.

Comment freely.
Thanks in advance

The first post is a reply to a email that has nothing to do with the hitting. So they only start where the hitting is initially mentioned.

Denise is Music therapist
Page is Chloes teacher

Bryan

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Denise Coovert wrote:
Thanks for letting me know you are still thinking. I like the idea of body awareness and perhaps we need to start with Chloe just being able to name parts of her body. I don't know where she is at on this.
One thing I needed to let you know about is our session yesterday. I had to end the session early due to Chloe throwing two objects and hitting me once. I told that behavior was not acceptable and took her back to her classroom. Her aide said they were also having problems with hitting on that day. I have never had her act out like that and it seemed to be out of wanting attention and she did not seem upset but it's hard to tell. Because of the setting we are in, I can't allow that behavior or safety concerns. I just wanted to let you know in case her teacher mentioned it. I will continue to work on her quarterly this week. Thanks!

Denise
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Bryan wrote:
Thanks. Page has also mentioned it a couple of times. Maybe we need to identify a strategy for dealing with this (she broke her I pad at home a while back). If you had mentioned that Cole had been acting out. I could have a heart to heart talk at home. I dont think that will work with Chloe. And I kinda feel like I'm just sitting back waiting for call from the school about this. All three of us are identifying this as an issue. Maybe even involve a aid or PE to develop "a time to throw" and " a time not to throw". or make one of those picture stories for this. Just spit-balling idea's here.
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Paige wrote:
Mr. Sage,

The hitting issue has become pretty intense. We have been keeping track of the number of incidences of hitting.

These are the dates as follows:

9/27- 6 times towards staff
9/28-7 times towards staff
10/1- 5 times towards staff- 3 times towards students
10/2- 10 times towards staff
10/3- 11 times towards staff.

We are counting an attempt as a hit also. We will continue to keep track of this issue. We can not allow this type of behavior at school. Chloe seems to think it is funny and no matter how many times we have talked about how it hurts people and how we should use nice hands, she is unfazed by it. I have tried social stories and videos about it. This morning while Chloe was on a break she came up to me when I had my back turned and she smacked me across the back very hard. In math today, she attempted to hit me 4 times, but I caught her wrist all four times before she got me. She laughed each time like it was funny. I was wondering how you handle this behavior at home and if it works at home? I feel like we are not making a lot of progress right now because we are dealing with a lot of behaviors. She has also broken several toys on purpose and she has ripped up several items in my classroom. She attempted to rip up a memory card last week, but we were able to get it away from her. I'm not sure if these are new behaviors or not. Has this happened in the past or is this new? I don't want you to think that she is never good because we have had lots of good moments too, but I am very concerned about these behaviors.

Sincerely,

Paige
OK I see. I had no idea she had become this prolific at it. Michelle may add to this. And this may be long winded so get a cup of coffee and sit back.

It is pretty rare with me at least. I was able to ask her respite worker, grandma, the transportation team and Michelle today about hitting and frequency. And they are all saying seldom if any at all. And they all know I need honest answers to work at correcting the situation.

The actual results

Me: rarely maybe once a month.
Michelle: None in the last several months and intermittent prior to that.
Transportation people: None
Respite Care: None
Grandma : None.

She had done this in the past but to the best of my knowledge it has been at worst infrequent. Because of this infrequency my reaction in the past is a simple no and engage her in playor some other directional change. I think (dont know) but I believe this is generally a misguided attempt by her to engage or play with no malice intended. Of course I have no doubt it can be used interchangeably as an attempt to get attention or play.

What I do currently is take her hands hold them to her side. And assertively say NO, NO HITTING. That generally takes care of it for me. If its an item I am pretty quick and can read her fairly well. I generally intervene before she is able to destroy something and again assertively NO, NO TEARING THE BOOK and remove it from her possession. And I hope that explains why I did not give it the proper attention when you initially pointed it out in the meeting. Its my fault. I should have realized if it was important enough for you to point it out. It was probably more than what my experience had been.

Have the school sych people had any input?? I am really not sure what to do.

I did sit Chloe down tonight and she admitted to hitting Ms Taylor. And while she did not admit to hitting anyone else. She was focused on my statement of NO HITTING by the time I asked about everyone else. Regardless I have absolutely no doubt that everyone is being honest and truthful.

This is the best I can come up with right now and what I would like to try and do.

Ms Taylor & Denise;

Please let me know on the date of the infraction that it has occurred. If it happens on Tuesday I need to know on Tuesday. I will make it a point to talk to her each and every time. And I am unsure her level of comprehension if I talk to her Friday about something she did on Tuesday I don't know if she will connect the dots

I would like to make an occasional visit to the classroom with her in class. I want her to connect that these are not two completely separate worlds and that there exist two separate standard of behaviors. One of us has to pick her up for a Doctors appointment tomorrow 10/04 @ 02:30 pm. If I am available I would like to come a little early (just a few minutes) observe and let her observe me in the classroom. If I end up going to work. Or that is a bad time. I would like find a good one.

I would also like to set a target date of two weeks to have this completely corrected or we regroup and try something else.

I assume you both are painfully familiar with different intervention methods for behavior modification. So please do not for a second think I am in any way implying that you don't. I would guess you both have better grasps of the nuts and bolts of the formal process than I do.

I would remove any perceived reward she may get from this unwanted behavior. I would do my best to make it a non-event: with a quick correction verbally and lightly restraining. I only would remove an object if it were not part of the lesson or could not be adequately protected. I would only end the lesson if it could not be adequately protected or was otherwise infringing on someone else's learning. I would quickly and blatantly remove or discontinue a desired activity or privilege for the infraction

I really dont know what to do. What I do know is that I do not want to jeopardize what we currently have.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
A few questions...

This is s special school, correct?

I don't like where they are saying 'we can't have this in school'. What are they thinking if the issue can't be brought under control? They do realize that they don't have the option of much else, it is part of their job to recognize and find ways to deal with the issue.

Ted was a biter, a huge biter, so we didn't have hitting (outside of normal childhood issues). I think your suggestion is spot on. Hold her hands at her side and very clearly say "no hitting". Cole or is it Vanna, can't remember, anyways had an Autistic little boy in their class. The little man was a handful, a few things the school implemented really made a huge difference in how he reacts to things.

1. Unwanted behavior, stopped right that second. He was then removed from the classroom where he walked it off.

2. They did quite a few breaks, for every hour of class there was 5-10 minutes of walking it off.

Those were the 2 main things, I'm sure there was more but those made the biggest difference.

Your letter sounds fine, i can't see any points that you miss.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Its not a special school. But it is a Autism specific special needs class in a regular public school.

And I am a little put off by what appears to be pushing something they should be equipped to deal with back on me. In the IEP meeting they had 12 attend including all disciplines of ABA, two from psych, And a plethora of special needs "professionals"

Really what can I do. She is not doing it at home. And it is my understanding (of which I have a significant amount) that this type of issue is not at all uncommon for Autistic kids.

I dont know if you can tell but I am kinda walking on eggshells here. It seems to be the best program available within a reasonable distance. I dont want to screw that up. And I cant really drop the FAPE card as it is already in play. Our home school district is footing the bill for her to attend here. So as far as FAPE goes. They wont be on the hook for anything anyway.

And to be totally honest it pss me off that they did not say "HEY THERE IS A PROBLEM" until they had established a paper trail of occurrences.

Whew that vent made me feel a little better.

I should probably work that into the letter. One thing I have said from the start is to text, email, or call me. That we have had success in the previous school because we behaved and functioned as a team. If I told them that once I told them a hundred times.

And they say they are doing this:
1. Unwanted behavior, stopped right that second. He was then removed from the classroom where he walked it off.

2. They did quite a few breaks, for every hour of class there was 5-10 minutes of walking it off.
But like you I know for a fact that this is absolutely the most successful tool for mitigating troublesome behaviors. In fact I believe it has been the most consistent, successful tool we have for Chloe.

Maybe they are simply having difficulty reading her cue's.

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I was wondering cause they should be able to handle the issue's. That is <I>their</I> job to know what to do in those type of situations.

As for FAPE...you do damn well pull out that card. Your home school district is loosing money to see that your child get's the best possible education. It is your right, and your duty to make sure that happens.

Don't walk on eggshells, you have the law on Chloe's side.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
My additions:

I have been discussing with this with my Autism parent peers tonight. This is probably the thing we agree the most on.

IMHO the key to modifying any of Chloe's undesired behavior is early intervention. I know this is specific to autism and I doubt anyone will disagree. What I believe is the difference in her home care, her previous school, and yourselves is that we have had a significant amount of time learning her Tell's or Cue's. Her last teacher had her for four years. Her Grandma, My wife, and myself have had 9 years not just learning the tells that say " I am going to have an issue" But more importantly the tells that say "I am going to have an issue in 10 or 5 minutes" This is the time for a walk or distraction. This is the time for a stress free resolution. My wife and I probably do this without thinking. We are experts on Chloe. And the tells are there. We just have to find them.

So IMHO the question is how do we close the gap? How do we help you to be Chloe experts in a reasonable amount of time?

I am under the impression that Chloe is on her third aid. If that is true and I dont know. But it would be extremely counter productive. Both from the point of learning her tells and providing a stable environment for her to get comfortable and to be predictable in. Change is not tolerated well by Autism. This year the change would be extreme for anyone. I am sure it is especially disconcerting for Chloe. I would like to know more about the Aid situation when you have time. For sure this will cause you to chase your tale for a significant amount of time.

What we did early on. And what I would advise you and your staff to do is talk. Talk to her other teachers, her aids, her transportation people, each other and us. Talk like you are dissecting her. I.E. I noticed she will bang the back of her hand on her chin prior to an upcoming issue. She will wrap an arm over her head to cover each ear and have a free hand when sound issues are building pressure on her. She will salivate slightly more and blow spit bubbles or play with it using a couple of fingers before the "Big Bad" happens.

If you see these signs or tells, ACT Now. Change things up. This is a case of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is gold. If you notice signs share them with everyone. Including me.
(I know this will be unpopular) She is Special needs. To the best of my knowledge none of the behavior described is uncommon for this diagnoses. I was under the impression in our meeting that we have a significant team with both the ability and resources to help if asked. Have we utilized that team to correct his issue?

I truly wish I could be more helpful. Not being there. And not having her display this with any real frequency at home. I just dont know what else I can do. If you have something specific you would like to see me do. Just tell me. I am never to busy to listen: or to reserved to try something "out of the box". You both should consider me a very approachable dude.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
haha I already did. Just forgot to edit that on the post here.

thanks for shoring me up. I think I needed a slap to the back of the head.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Let me just say that I feel your letter was well-articulated and helpful. I have no advice on it, since it sounds great and you probably already sent it by now. But I thought I might make a quick mention about the discussion in the following posts.

And I am a little put off by what appears to be pushing something they should be equipped to deal with back on me.

And to be totally honest it pss me off that they did not say "HEY THERE IS A PROBLEM" until they had established a paper trail of occurrences.
To me, this sounds like you are frustrated that they are contacting you about this problem, but also frustrated when they didn't contact you about it. To me that sounds conflicted. I just thought I would point this out, so maybe you can clarify your expectations about when a school should make contact.

I see that you are worried about things working out. I know I don't have any background on your situation aside from your original post, but to me, those e-mails do not read as if they are threatening to take her out of the program. Not at all. To me it just sounds like they are fishing for solutions, and why trudge through the arsenal of strategies (trial &amp; error) if there's already one that works at home? Just my impression. I hope you able to find an intervention strategy that sticks at school.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
akmom said:
To me, this sounds like you are frustrated that they are contacting you about this problem, but also frustrated when they didn't contact you about it. To me that sounds conflicted. I just thought I would point this out, so maybe you can clarify your expectations about when a school should make contact.
Actually your right on both counts. And I can see how it is confusing. What I am unhappy with is that I have encouraged them since our original interview and throughout the process to communicate frequently. So far I have never attended a meeting that had surprises for either kid. All I have asked for and really expect is a note from time to time. Chloe is doing good. Chloe had a bit of an issue today ect.. Maybe a couple of times a week or more if time allows. Nothing big: not a progress report just a quick status or notice. She has only four students. So I assume she is not overwhelmed. Instead I get a email piggy backing off the music therapist update that has all these dates and times. Both highlighting it is a safety issue and the MT pulling her off lesson.

So its not that I am put off by the update. Its that I am put off that I was not made aware earlier. I talked to her in person today and hope she understands team=success. I am unhappy that she had stacked up this number of occurrences and an increasing frequency. Without me being aware. I am also to a lesser extent that unhappy with the "Show of Force" at the IEP meeting being standing room only. That none of that teams expertise or resources have been brought to bear. I am really more frustrated than mad. I met and took some time with the new aid today to explain its much less stressful if we just talk or bs from time to time.

akmom said:
I see that you are worried about things working out. I know I don't have any background on your situation aside from your original post, but to me, those e-mails do not read as if they are threatening to take her out of the program. Not at all. To me it just sounds like they are fishing for solutions, and why trudge through the arsenal of strategies (trial &amp; error) if there's already one that works at home? Just my impression. I hope you able to find an intervention strategy that sticks at school.
The threat is faint. Both are referring to it being a safety issue with staff and students. The MT mentioned pulling her off lesson. Her Teacher is recording events like I would if I were keeping a paper trail for a procedural outcome.

It has never been a frequent problem like it is at school. So I am not sure this is the same animal as what she has done in the past at home.

All good legit questions. I am just trying to explain a little better what is going on in my head.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Today:

Mr. Sage,

Chloe had a rough time earlier today. We were attempting math again. I played some music about math and she was pretty happy about that. Then, when I turned the music off and started the lesson, she immediately began to try and hit me. She attempted to hit me 7 times. Then, she took her shoe off and threw it at me. I put her in a time out and then we went back to math. She took her other shoe off and threw it at me. We did a time out again. Then she took her binder and tried to throw it at me. I called for help at this point and Mr. Dirth came in. He did a time out with her and she was not happy. She cried and screamed for about 10-15 minutes. He stepped away and we proceeded to ignore the behavior while she continued to scream a little bit and then she came up to me and hit me in the back. He put her in a chair again and then she hit him twice. He did a time out again for about 5 minutes and then he left. I waited until she calmed down a little bit and then we tried to get back on schedule. This was a particularly bad episode so I thought you would like to know about this one.

Sincerely,

Paige
Ms taylor

Thanks any time: just let us know. I would much rather be aware early than later.

This is particularly bothersome to be. She currently is also not displaying them with her grandmother or respite care (1 time) While she did display a little of that Thur, And Fri, away from the school. It's intensity and frequency is not close to what you have been describing. I am not saying that to dispute anything. Only that I cannot address these behaviors when she is not displaying them to me. It is my fear that she will begin associating this with the classroom and turn that into a trigger point.

A couple of actions

I think I will be off all day tomorrow. I could audit the class and observe possibly making suggestions. I also would be OK with viewing a taping of her day. Even a conf call would be OK with me.

Describe your timeout process please.

We have found for time out to be effective with her. Her effect on us must be limited. Example remove her from a populated area to a 1 on 1 area. Ear plugs (for care giver). She can have a distracting device (book to read, paper to write on, ect): As long it is not used to facilitate the meltdown. The second it is misused or appears to be in danger of misuse it should be removed. It seems when she knows the behavior is not having its desired effect she tends to loss steam. At home its her room by herself or with me. If it is with me: ear plugs, no contact or interaction ect... I did notice the very open environment of you room. Maybe a partitioned area so that she cannot see the effect of her behavior has on others. I think she may enjoy or seek out the interaction these behaviors solicit. I dont think good or bad reactions are a part of her logic. I dont think she wants to cause stress, only reactions. I believe she seeks simply just a reaction of any type.

I also believe that the above strategies can be rendered mute by early interventions. I can show you some. They have proved to have a good deal of success when potential issues are identified and addressed before things have reached the time out stage.

I also suspect that the time outs were too late. She will get to a point where absolutely nothing is effective. Sounds like where she was by the time Mr Dirth attempted the time out.

As always I hope you all dont feel I am second guessing or questioning what you are doing. I have no doubt everything you have done is with Chloe's best interest at heart. Please believe me I know, I have been there. I am only suggesting that we exploit the mistakes I have made to move forward.

I also have a feeling when it comes to discipline and time-outs there is probably a school policy. that is why I would like Mr Dirth involved. The processes may need tweaked for Chloe's specific needs.

I am hopeful in given a day. I can provide some support that can resolve 90% of her current issues.

Sincerely

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Mr. Sage,

I'm sorry I didn't e-mail you earlier. It has been a crazy day and I haven't had time to sit down and write you. Mr. Dirth and I have been discussing the situation and we think we are going to meet with the team again on Tuesday and discuss the plan again after yesterday's situation. We think it would be a good idea for you to either observe or do a taping. We are going to talk to the team about the positives and negatives of you being here as opposed to you seeing a tape of her working. I think math went better today. I got the mats out before hand and we did some jumping and rolling on the mat before we came to the table. It was a math sheet where we did a problem and then colored a picture the color of the answer. She ripped up her paper once, but I taped it back together and then we started to work. She did attempt to hit me 5 times, but they were not very hard and she gave up quickly. I thought it went better overall.

Sincerely,

Paige

Ms Taylor

Thanks for the response: I would like to be a part of the meeting Tues: I can phone in if that is OK with you. I know that Iowa City have stated on more than one occasion that they could be a resource for us. I am also looking into so ABA services that could provide help. We have only had the two occurrence which was one hit since 10/5 last Friday Sat 10/13 with the respite worker. She sat away from Chloe who quickly . I am pretty sure she would have had additional occurrences but I was able to intervene in time.

Let me know

Mr. Sage,

Since the meeting is in house, we are unable to have you be a part of the meeting. I am sorry, but that is our procedure. If you would like to schedule a staffing with the team that would be fine. I can set that up for you whenever you would like. Just let me know. I will let you know what we discuss as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Paige

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
So the issue is still there? I would want the class taped before I go in. It would let me see what they are dealing with and not let Chloe in on what is going on. Then once I have watched the tapes I would come up with a plan of action.

I am just really surprised they don't know how to deal with it.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
What do you think of her last Email?

I am under the impression I am not invited to the meeting or the class.

I am also afraid we have different objectives. I think they are only interested in modding the behavior to make it through the day. While I agree the behavior needs modified. I think at least some of the behavior is a misguided attempt at being social. I think some of it is from over-stimulation. And some attention getting. Some just unwanted task avoidance.

So I don't think its a simple one step fixes all. I personally don't want her attempts at being social to become punitive. Nor do I want her dealing with over-stimulation to be discounted as acting out. I would agree that the attention getting and task avoidance needs simply modded.

Last edited:

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
What therapy/treatment does she receive at the minute outside of her schooling?

Has she been violent in the past or has it only been happening in the last few weeks at school?

I personally don't agree with your last paragraph, but we all have different ways of handling things. If she is over stimulated and so misbehaving that behaviour must be punished, otherwise not only will she be unable to ever learn from that behaviour, she will be unable to use a positive way to express the fact that she is being over stimulated, the same applies for social attempts. You can't provide a positive outlet without punishing negative ones, just as with any child bad behaviour must be punished while good behaviour is praised/encouraged. If she doesn't know that something is bad/leads to being punished she wont stop doing it.

Does she always have one to one lessons or are there other children in her class? If she is not alone I think she needs to be fairly swiftly moved into a lone class. Does she just have an aid or does she also have an individual teacher, is her aid a therapist with extensive experience of working with children with autism? What about her teacher if she has one?

I agree that you shouldn't be in the classroom, not only will it change her behaviour, but being physically watched will also change her teachers behaviour.

When we have parental observations the school just shows the parents our CCTV, that way it uses a system that is always in place, and so the teacher isn't being specially filmed and so doesn't act differently.

So if Chloe was at our school they would be able to copy all the CCTV during which the incidents occurred for the school to watch, for you to watch and for her therapist/s to watch. It also means I teach with the knowledge that every lesson can be viewed, so for me being filmed is completely normal and an every day occurrence so it doesn't alter my behaviour. They would also do the same to see occasions where she has behaved well so all could also view that as well, sometimes making the comparison can be quite helpful.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
It sounds like the meeting is a just a meeting for the staff. Which isn't uncommon so I wouldn't be to frustrated there. I would also be calling a parent/teacher meeting. If they want to do it twice, then that is their choice.

As for not wanting you to watch the class....it is your right, they can't keep you out. Does the school record the classrooms, I know that some do, I also know most don't. If they do then I would be asking to see the video. It's going to be your best way of seeing why she has taken to hitting people.

I'm gonna also agree with Jeremy, they why of the hitting (while important) doesn't change the fact that there needs to be a consequence for hitting.

Ted wasn't a hiter he was a biter, who did he bite...he would draw blood. His biting was always attention/frustration/anger I always tried to 'give it a name', 'walk him through it'. In truth the only thing that worked was swift consequences for his actions....I did do the whole bite him back thing also, but that was after a particularly bad bite to Sam. It worked a little but the real impact was in the consequences.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
What therapy/treatment does she receive at the minute outside of her schooling?
Only Music therapy

Jeremy+3 said:
Has she been violent in the past or has it only been happening in the last few weeks at school?
She has hit in the past. But few and far between. Never daily, weekly, or anything like that. I don't really know how to explain this in a way that it makes sense. But the hits don't really seem violent. My experience has been that her mood is not generally mad, or mean. She does not look at you like "take this" or "i'm pssd". Its more like smiling playing. I don't know if this is M2m's experience. But lets say she is obviously agitated or stressed. She will look smile, followed by a quick open handed swat and its almost like it changes her mood she will laugh or giggle. Its hard to explain. But its not like if you or I were going to hit someone we were mad at. We would tense up, look serious/mad ect. Its really not like that at all.

Jeremy+3 said:
I personally don't agree with your last paragraph, but we all have different ways of handling things. If she is over stimulated and so misbehaving that behaviour must be punished, otherwise not only will she be unable to ever learn from that behaviour, she will be unable to use a positive way to express the fact that she is being over stimulated, the same applies for social attempts. You can't provide a positive outlet without punishing negative ones, just as with any child bad behaviour must be punished while good behaviour is praised/encouraged. If she doesn't know that something is bad/leads to being punished she wont stop doing it.
First I am glad you dont agree. I am obviously missing a piece of the school puzzle. So your perspective is uniquely appreciated. I need to work with them. We have a common goal.

One of the common and fairly accepted theories of self stimulation (arm swing, head banging, screaming, ect) is that it reduces focus on other stimulating inputs and allows them to "self calm". This is a theory supported by Autistic people themselves who can articulate their experiences. A common analogy is comparing it to someone who massages or lays their head down when they have a head ache or bends over when they have a stomach ache. Now if you had a head ache and trying to self heal by rubbing your head or laying it down. You would become extremely agitated by someone stopping or punishing you for doing that.

I am not saying that is the case every time. Only that a punitive result: <U>may</U> unnecessarily create more stress when what she(Chloe) is trying to do is reduce that very stress. I am saying they need to identify what is going on (root cause) so that the either stop by punishing, or redirect toward a more productive and accepted way of her achieving her goal. And she really does not have much regard to punishment. She does not respond to rewards or punishment typically. In most cases she appears to care less for either one.

I am also trying to make the point. The hitting can be anticipated. My experience is that she jiggles her arms by her side, starts banging the back or her wrist on her chin. Looks at you and smiles with a significant pause. The hits.

From what I have heard (not observed) is that these occurrences seem to be at transition times. Switching tasks. I would guess that you have had some formal training in "transitions" I have had a little when I audited the teachers Autism training a few years back. I think its not a uncommon bumpy spot for teachers.

I think identifying the markers and creating a transition that accounts for that. Could eliminate the issue and the need for punishment or reward. Just IMHO.

Jeremy+3 said:
Does she just have an aid or does she also have an individual teacher, is her aid a therapist with extensive experience of working with children with autism? What about her teacher if she has one?
She has her own aid 100% of the time. Even when transported to and from school. This is necessary because of safety. She completely fearless. Fearless of traffic, people, places, and things.

She is only about 10% mainline. Which means 10% of the time she attends the mainline class but has her aid with her at that time.

Her special needs teacher as explained to me. Has a special needs degree with Autism focus. Her class is Autism. No other special needs kids there. There are three total kids in the class. Each has their own aid. It is a single open room with a bathroom. No dividers where in place when I visited. They are using fluorescent lighting. And forced air ventilation.

Jeremy+3 said:
I agree that you shouldn't be in the classroom, not only will it change her behaviour, but being physically watched will also change her teachers behaviour.
I am glad to hear your perspective on this. I suspected I may be a problem. The reasons I suggested it were: To observe the failure mode: And to attempt to demonstrate that school and home are not to separate worlds with separate acceptable behavour rules.

Jeremy+3 said:
When we have parental observations the school just shows the parents our CCTV, that way it uses a system that is always in place, and so the teacher isn't being specially filmed and so doesn't act differently.
That makes sense to me.

Jeremy+3 said:
So if Chloe was at our school they would be able to copy all the CCTV during which the incidents occurred for the school to watch, for you to watch and for her therapist/s to watch. It also means I teach with the knowledge that every lesson can be viewed, so for me being filmed is completely normal and an every day occurrence so it doesn't alter my behaviour. They would also do the same to see occasions where she has behaved well so all could also view that as well, sometimes making the comparison can be quite helpful.
I agree. At my job they secretly test us by hiding watching what we do in different scenarios or pop in visits reviewing our paper work. The thing is I dont care. Its not like I screw around when I think no one is looking. They (the teachers) only have to be uncomfortable with this if they are doing stuff they shouldn't be.

I do have to say I am a little uncomfortable that they dont seem interested in learning from our mistakes. I dont see the point in reinventing the wheel every time.

I am also not so naive that I am oblivious to my own baggage. Preconceptions of what works and what doesn't. What she will tolerate and what she wont. I have been proven wrong enough to know that I dont have all the answers. I just think working together could expedite a resolution.

And finally I am uncomfortable with this:

Mr. Sage,

Since the meeting is in house, we are unable to have you be a part of the meeting. I am sorry, but that is our procedure.
I was under the impression I was part of the team.

Last edited: