Chloe's IEP and some Autism stuff...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I recently had our latest IEP (Individualized Education Plan) Meeting with Chloe s school. I shared a warning shot a week before the meeting. Attached file is the agenda I sent.

The beginning of the meeting involved introductions ect. At that point the principal suggested since I had already supplied an agenda to use the one I provided (haha score 1). He also asked if I would like to lead or facilitate the meeting (haha score 2)

I repeatedly emphasized the point that: especially this time of year her getting physical activity is crucial to both her behavior and focus in class.

Also repeatedly emphasized the importance of both social training but tracking her social skills more formerly. I tied this in the the schools agenda of academic's. That the more skilled she became the more likely she would be able to perform in the classroom.

And more communication between the school and us. They now send a note about how her day went. Yaaaaaa I love it.

I was able to place more resources accomplishing the goals of answering "Wh" (Who, What, Why, ect) questions. That this would be unnecessary in accessing her cognitive understanding of the academic tasks she is required to do. And at home it is extremely important in order for us to understand what issues effect her. We have gone from the Speech Path working on the "Wh" questions to the Music therapist Aid, and teacher all working together on this. Effectively quadrupling the effort on this. Fingers crossed.

I spent a significant amount of time addressing her aggressive behavior's and how I would like these issues to be addressed. I sited the newest SSC study linked below. And explained how aggression markers for Autistic are not the same as mainline children. Since the motivations are different than what they are used to. The need to be addressed differently. The first link just explains the SSC and their study. The second link is a video about the 'Aggression" portion of the study. If you have an Autistic child or encounter one on a regular basis. I would recommend watching the video. Not really sure you want to watch it if you have no need. Its an hour long.

I also went in to great detail about how their handling of her "hitting" distressed us and how I absolutely require to be admitted to meetings dealing with difficult behavior and discipline in regard to Chloe. An agreement was made between the Principal and myself. This agreement however was not noted in the minutes. I am going to ask for them to be amended Monday morning.

The end of the meeting was spent updating them on recent studies and therapies that show promise.

http://sfari.org/sfari-initiatives/simons-simplex-collection[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NLZADAQmZDM[/url]

Anyway. A lot has been going on the the Autism world in the last few months. There is a Congressional autism hearing taking place last week and into this week. This BTW is fascinating to follow (if you can say that for a congressional hearing) The one side is all about genetics. The other side is saying screw the genetics. Because the cant account for the extreme increase in numbers. Nor can it account for regional differences. There is name calling ect. For some reason I find it entertaining when politicians insult one another.

The revised DSM IV was voted on and approved today. The revised edition now called DSM5 will likely be released in March.View attachment Chloe's IEP 1112.txt

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
It's all very interesting to me bssage, I'm not acquainted with autistic children or people, but also wondered why it seems to be so prevalent today.

My son who is 21 today actually dabbled with the thought that he may have had or possible still has a small degree of autism if it's even possible.

He happend to be a gifted child but, looking back now, he feels his thought process as a kid was abnormal, and couldn't learn the correct way he says he always saw symbols and numbers. as a little guy I remember him wanting me to tell him stories pertaining to numbers, but he didn't know what the word numbers was yet so he use to get so frustrated at bed time until I figured it out....I'm still not sure what the heck he's talking about but it always makes me curious.

He also feels he doesn't have a 'normal' social skill. Would rather not be social at all, but yet he IS very social. He says he knows he should be so he makes himself do it. ?? As a kid he had a lot of friends so I can't agree that he wasn't social.

I think he grew to be a little shy and still is but takes that for being anti-social. But everyone likes him and he has many friends so I don't know what to make of it.

I often wonder if it's even worth being tested for Autism at this point, or if it would benefit him in some way to know if he is. He goes to college and works and seems like a 'normal' person to everyone who knows him.??

Any thoughts on this?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
NancyM said:
but also wondered why it seems to be so prevalent today.
We all do. I fear we may never know. Parties on both side of the fence are so vested it will be hard to take any answer at face value. The genetics side want to assure us its hardwired in. The people on the environment side want to assign blame. Both sides have significant things to gain.

I began to give you an extremely complicated detailed response. But in the interest of brevity is am going to "shoot from the hip" I believe I can support anything I say in this post. It just may take some time to find my original links.

Its not likely he is "classically Autistic" The arm flapping and self stimulation (stims) are huge flags that are hard to miss. As are the vacant stares head banging sensitivity to outside stimulation.

That said with the new or proposed revisions to the DSM 5. That is the diagnostic tool the professional's use for definitions. And I will include a footnote to this. It will now include ANY significant social delay under the umbrella of Autism.

Also with the new changes Eliminating Asperger's s a condition that needs treatment. Especially if those "high functioning" people can refer to themselves in the first person.

If he is that high functioning he would likely not receive much help. And as a young adult or adult even less. The fear in the Autism community is that the because the symptoms of high functional Autistic's is somewhat invisible That they will no longer have access to treatment at all.

I see no benefit in terms of aid or assistance by having your son (as you described) diagnosed. Although there are a couple of significant studies showing that diagnoses is well received especially by older individuals. This is generally attributed being able to answer the question of "Why am I different?". So if there is a benefit It would be simply: he can now assign a cause for why he feels as though he is different.

The DSM 5 is the completed revision of the DSM IV. It had been submitted for peer review and evaluations for its effectiveness or lack there of. Since the DSM IV has been reviewed. Only a select few know what the final draft will include. Which this is keeping everyone in the Autism community's "panties in a wad" You should also know it is not specific to Autism alone. But many different diagnoses I.E. depression ect...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
bssage said:
We all do. I fear we may never know. Parties on both side of the fence are so vested it will be hard to take any answer at face value. The genetics side want to assure us its hardwired in. The people on the environment side want to assign blame. Both sides have significant things to gain.

<I>Interesting.</I>

I began to give you an extremely complicated detailed response. But in the interest of brevity is am going to "shoot from the hip" I believe I can support anything I say in this post. It just may take some time to find my original links.

<I>Thanks for that. </I>

Its not likely he is "classically Autistic" The arm flapping and self stimulation (stims) are huge flags that are hard to miss. As are the vacant stares head banging sensitivity to outside stimulation.

That said with the new or proposed revisions to the DSM 5. That is the diagnostic tool the professional's use for definitions. And I will include a footnote to this. It will now include ANY significant social delay under the umbrella of Autism.

Also with the new changes Eliminating Asperger's s a condition that needs treatment. Especially if those "high functioning" people can refer to themselves in the first person.

If he is that high functioning he would likely not receive much help. And as a young adult or adult even less. The fear in the Autism community is that the because the symptoms of high functional Autistic's is somewhat invisible That they will no longer have access to treatment at all.

I see no benefit in terms of aid or assistance by having your son (as you described) diagnosed. Although there are a couple of significant studies showing that diagnoses is well received especially by older individuals. This is generally attributed being able to answer the question of "Why am I different?". So if there is a benefit It would be simply: he can now assign a cause for why he feels as though he is different.

<I>I feel this way too. I don't believe he is or had been autistic at all but he still has a small question in his mind that he always goes back to. I really think he was just an advanced baby, and child and couldn't express what he knew and invented ways in his own mind to express what he was seeing, like symbols and numbers . Eventually we figured it out and he was placed in advanced and gifted classes where he said he felt the most comfortable.
I never told him he was 'special" or 'really smart' I told him he was just himself and he was right just the way he is, so maybe he thought he was 'different' since we never really discussed it in dept, and keeps looking for answers, I never thought much about that.
</I>
The DSM 5 is the completed revision of the DSM IV. It had been submitted for peer review and evaluations for its effectiveness or lack there of. Since the DSM IV has been reviewed. Only a select few know what the final draft will include. Which this is keeping everyone in the Autism community's "panties in a wad" You should also know it is not specific to Autism alone. But many different diagnoses I.E. depression ect...
Wow, very interesting. Will the DSM 5 be made available for public view or just within the Autistic community.

Like I said I don't know much about it at all, but do find it interesting and try to keep up on new discoveries and studies of certain medical conditions/afflictions, or diagnoses.

Thank you for taking the time to explain all that :)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Yes but not for a few months. Its not specific to Autism. I am kinda new to it. Been reading up for several months. Jeremy or PSCT could explain it better probably.

I think it defines the criteria for making psychiatric diagnoses. That's likely not completely correct or complete definition. Its just my understanding of it.

I am going to try and quote from an IAN blog on telling kids about diagnoses's. I thought it was well done.

"All people: Children and adults have strengths and weakness's. All people. But like diagnoses they do not define us. They just put a name to a small piece of who we are."

I'm kinda Autistically burned out right now. Following the politics is killing me. You have to follow hours of bullshit to find one nugget (pun intended) of valuable information. I will try to link some pertinent stuff when I recover.

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I can only imagine trying to understand all that medical information and findings, thats why I like it when someone explains it to me so I don't have to read it. lol ha ha

Thank you for the information, I'll be paying attention to it a little better now. ;)