Chores Question...

pancras

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
CT
mom2many said:
Well of course you would, sisters room is vague and open to any number of things. Saying 'chores' isn't. Chores are specific, plus if that's how you raise them they know what you mean. It's not like I'll just randomly go 'trash', they are usually told " when I'm done washing dishes you guy are going to help clean" there is a reference point, somewhere along the way. If I day chickens they know I mean feed and water them. Digs again feed and water them, these are new nor random things to them.
Exactly, I assumed the OP has already given his son instructions for the task that serve as a reference point.

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
<r><QUOTE author="singledad;141869"><s>
singledad said:
</s>IDK. So we can be surprised when they speak to us in single words when they want something, instead of asking politely? So we can have the joy of modelling rude behaviour and then telling them “Do as I say, not as I do?”<e>
</e></QUOTE>

I don't find myself rude, minimal maybe, rude......no, I also see nothing wrong with do as I say, not as I do. Sometimes it's as simple as I am the parent and you are the child. Not everything s up for discussion nor is everything debatable.</r>

pancras

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
CT
Maybe there is a cultural divide. What seems sufficiently civil in the USA might seem impolite in South Africa and Australia where perhaps British cultural norms have more influence.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
pancras said:
Maybe there is a cultural divide. What seems sufficiently civil in the USA might seem impolite in South Africa and Australia where perhaps British cultural norms have more influence.
Tad may actually have a point with this one. It could be due to a 'cultural divide' of sorts.

Here, a one-word order generally means anger or callousness. I've never heard a one word order given in a neutral or inoffensive way, always in anger. But that is probably more typical of Australian speech because we tend to draw sentences out, rather than giving short, sharp responses. Funnily enough, my husband once had an employer who would issue short, sharp demands and she was eventually demoted due to it, it was considered harassment of staff.

But hey, there are plenty of things we say that are considered perfectly normal here that would be offensive elsewhere.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I see both points, we can talk too much sometimes, and I can see how short "prompts" need not necessarily be curt. But there's also an issue of teaching versus training. Three one word prompt seems an awful lot like the way one gets a lion to open its mouth or a dog to fetch. While a simple one word reminder may be sufficient, I think it has to be used carefully. I think on the OPs case I'd prefer to have simple conversations.

pancras

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
CT
I went back and edited my first post on this thread to avoid claiming that one word was ideal. (I now have this awful image of ArchieBunker taking my advice to heart and arguing with his reluctant wife over whether she should use just one word or not!)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
We can try.

#5 is wrong though, it's telecom pole, not telegraph pole. We don't say telegraph in Australia, and telecom pole refers to the electricity poles back when the only phone line provider was Telecom, before competition was introduced into the industry in the late 80's. We used to call all the poles telecom poles.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
akmom said:
Is it even possible to sound rude in an Australian accent?
It would greatly surprise me LOL!

Cybele your pic didn't show (for me at least).

ArchieBunker

Jun 28, 2013
Colorado
Sorry to be so late in getting back. I replaced the hard drive on ONE computer in the house and the whole darn network went down. Been pulling my hair out for a week trying to get one computer at a time back up and functional again.

I do appreciate all the responses. My wife and I talked about it and read most of them together.

I've decided not to worry about the trash. As long as it gets taken out and I'm not the one doing it, I don't care anymore. She said she will remind him or discipline if necessary. Fine by me. I think it boils down to a "pick your battles" stance for me. This one isn't worth the aggrevation.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree, getting it done is all that matters. :) I'm glad you feel that way, the main important thing to me is that it isn't worth the stress. There is so much stress in life already from the outside world! No need to be negative to the ones we love, life is so short and it's so important to stay close. Also no reason to worry about things that don't need worried about, when there is so much we have to worry about on a daily basis already! :)