Circumcision ban?...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
cybele said:
I do have a friend who rang me a few years back when she was dating a new guy and said "HIS PENIS IS SO STRANGE! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH HIM!" turns out he was uncircumcised and she had never seen it before, ahh I couldn't stop laughing.
I am the opposite...short of nephews and such. I have only seen uncirc'd.

That is hysterical though!!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
teenage_parent said:
@cybele that's freakin' hilarious. cracked me up. the best punchline of my day.

@Jeremy+3 yup, a freakin' good researcher and i can't find [free] conclusive and legitimate physiological research on either - for or against circumcision.

there are a lot of free physiological research published but none is conclusive. the rest are psychological and surveys. that's not what i'm after.

i have a girl, so it's not a concern for me yet. i just really want to know more about this issue. i still don't have a stand on the matter. i'm a sponge as of now. just taking in everything i hear, read, watch about this.

just hoping that someone could give some links. if there no one here has a link. no biggie. it was worth asking.
Me either and I pride myself on being able to find stuff....every college friend I have/know comes to me to help with research. I like the challenge of it.

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
I think there is a bit of a time lag. Parent's think circumcism is common because it was more common when they grew up. The rate has been dropping since the American Academy of Pediatricians stopped supporting it in 1999, particularly among the more educated.

I don't think there is much evidence that uncircumsized guys are embarassed these days, even less likely for today's newborns.

And, there are circumsized guys who get upset that their genitals have been mutilated against their will by their parents. So perhaps Parents should worry about that. Some guys even get reconstructive surgery.

In searching around I only found one direct report where someone made fun of a uncircumsized kid. It was a mother in law making fun of a newborn.

Last edited:

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
teenage_parent said:
nope can't access them. i can't get anything from the conclusion part your pasted too.
i really want to see some physiological research proving there is harm done on the kid.
Sorry about this, I found the PDF published on the web and arranged my links in the original message.
Here they are again here.

teenage_parent said:
could it be that these are non-conclusive research that's why it hasn't been published and opened publicly? just asking because i'm a darn good researcher and i can't find anything conclusive.
To my knowledge, MOST of what's published (like 99% of it) is not available to the public for free. They are published in peer reviewed journal and require an access to it through a university account. Most of what we hear in the media are newspaper articles <I>about</I> the research papers, as they are published, IF they make the news (very few do).
Do you search using google scholar? I typed "physiological circumcision" in google scholar and came up with quite a few interesting read...

teenage_parent said:
i see a lot of psychological research and surveys but no physiological one.
Here is a physiological study on the loss of sensitivity to the penis in circumcised men vs non-circumcised men, due to the loss of nerves ending: Fine-touch pressure thresholds in the adult penis
Morris L. Sorrells, James L. Snyder, Mark D. Reiss, Christopher Eden, Marilyn F. Milos, Norma Wilcox and Robert S. Van Howe, 2006
I also found this one, but it .s more of a psychological one, which addresses the pain aspect and the religious / motivational aspect of the trauma.

teenage_parent said:
i also want to see a research of the other side, physiological research on the benefits of circumcision.
I think this paper shows some of the alleged benefits, not sure.

Last edited:

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I lived in the UK until about 12 years ago, and I'd never heard of circumcision being used in any situation than for religious reasons. When I went to pre-natal classes for my first kid (in Canada), the nurse asked whether people were considering circumcision. I was completely confused. I remember looking around and thinking that I didn't realize Canada had such a big Jewish population, and that no-one in the class looked Jewish. I was totally dumfounded to find out that this was done in Canada.
I think it's horrific, and a ban is a great idea.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
csdax said:
I lived in the UK until about 12 years ago, and I'd never heard of circumcision being used in any situation than for religious reasons. When I went to pre-natal classes for my first kid (in Canada), the nurse asked whether people were considering circumcision. I was completely confused. I remember looking around and thinking that I didn't realize Canada had such a big Jewish population, and that no-one in the class looked Jewish. I was totally dumfounded to find out that this was done in Canada.
I think it's horrific, and a ban is a great idea.
The US is one of the few countries that do it routinely. Even in Canada it is not the norm.

Honestly if insurance quit paying for it, and state medical quit paying for it (as many have done) we would see the gap become even larger between those who do it and those who don't.

afterburn25

Jul 20, 2012
i have heard from parents that chose not to circumcise there boy and ended up regretting it later. trust me if you dont do it he will always be prone to infections and that will be a never ending battle.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
^^^ That's funny, my husband is un-circed and in the 20 odd years I have known him, he hasn't had a single infection in that area.

You know, because he showers.

afterburn25

Jul 20, 2012
cybele said:
^^^ That's funny, my husband is un-circed and in the 20 odd years I have known him, he hasn't had a single infection in that area.

You know, because he showers.
yes cleaning well down there keeps infections away but im talking about children they aren't always as thorough when it comes to bathing especially boys at a young age

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
The US is one of the few countries that do it routinely.
Not true, the rate is around 50% these days. Spreading this misinformation will encourage parents to get their kid circumsized so he will fit in.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
afterburn25 said:
i have heard from parents that chose not to circumcise there boy and ended up regretting it later. trust me if you dont do it he will always be prone to infections and that will be a never ending battle.
Heard from, or heard of? Were they relating person experience, or were they repeating what they heard in order to justify circ'ing their son?

I just find it odd, because here it is very, very rare to circumcise an infant, unless you're Jewish or Muslim. And I've never heard of boys who struggle with infections. Me, I've gone more than 40 years as the proud owner of a foreskin, and without any infections, even though I wasn't very good with personal hygiene when I was young.

Besides, if it was so bad that they had so many regrets about not circumcising him, why didn't they just take him in to the hospital to get it done? Its not like there is an expiration date on it...

In my 40 years, living among men of whom the vast majority is uncirc'ed, I have never, ever heard anyone say "I wish I was circumcised". Nope. Whenever the topic comes up, my friends are more likely to cross their legs protectively, or look for the nearest escape route :D

---

@teenage_parent - Do you really need conclusive proof that it is harmful? Would lack of conclusive proof that it is necessary not suffice? After all - this is an irreversible surgical procedure, with all the risks of infection and complications that come with even the most routine surgery. Why submit a boy to that if it isn't necessary?

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
<SIZE size="75">"Male newborn circumcision rate falls to lowest level</SIZE>

<SIZE size="75">The drop coincides with the American Academy of Pediatrics' neutral position on the procedure. That policy, however, is being re-examined."</SIZE>

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/02/27/prse0302.htm[/URL]
<SIZE size="75"></SIZE>

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
afterburn25 said:
yes cleaning well down there keeps infections away but im talking about children they aren't always as thorough when it comes to bathing especially boys at a young age
That's why parents usually bathe young children, or supervise at least.

If I left my 4yr old in the bath to bathe himself, there wouldn't be much bathing going on, just a lot of making bubbles by farting and swishing legs around to make 'tidalwaves'. That's why either me or my husband have to be in there, or in the general area of the bathroom going "under your arms" "don't forget your soap" "don't forget your neck" "don't put the sponge in your mouth" "don't forget to clean your penis" "You have two sides and your back is still bone dry" and so on.

It's really a non-issue. My 15yr old is also un-circed and we never has a problem with him not cleaning himself properly or infections. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the hygiene issue was a problem way back when bathing was not an everyday occurrence, and people would only bathe a handful of times a year. Nowadays, we tend to bathe much more often, so it is easier to maintain a standard of hygiene that will not cause infections.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
afterburn25 said:
When a child isn't capable of cleaning themselves properly the parent must do it, that is neglect on the parents part.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
afterburn25 said:
Care to explain why skin infections in mens genitals and UTI's have the lowest rates in countries where circumcision is rare, such as Northern Ireland?

Men who are circumcised are at a greater risk of both skin infection and UTI's than men who are not circumcised, because not only is the scar tissue unnaturally dry and so prone to very small cracks, not all of the foreskin is removed during circumcision a small piece remains, but due to the scar tissue on it is far tighter than normal foreskin and much harder to clean under, in children especially as often you can only get a cotton bud under the foreskin.

Where as in those who haven't been circumcised all you do is pull the foreskin back and rinse the area with water, once the skin is detached from the penis, normally once the child hits puberty, they only tend to detach before then when parents think its a really good idea to pull them about. Under the foreskin there is mass immune activity going on, so any bacteria is quickly dealt with, which is why UTI's are rare in men who have not been circumcised.

You might want to look at the elderly population, during WWI and WWII men were routinely circumcised before service as they wouldn't have the facilities to wash while at war, after this in the UK there was a distinct increase in male UTI's both upper and lower and an increase in the number of surgeries being performed on the penis, it was found that almost all of these patients were circumcised, older men who are circumcised also have a greater chance of being incontinent as well, but so far no one is able to figure out why this happens.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
tadamsmar said:
Not true, the rate is around 50% these days. Spreading this misinformation will encourage parents to get their kid circumsized so he will fit in.
No, the US is still one of a handful of countries that still does circ's routinely. The numbers are dropping, but that doesn't change the fact's. It's not misinformation. Yes, there are a few countries that do it more, but that's based on their religious beliefs. Not so true here in the US, many people still do it based off of old notions.

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
singledad said:
@teenage_parent - Do you really need conclusive proof that it is harmful? Would lack of conclusive proof that it is necessary not suffice? After all - this is an irreversible surgical procedure, with all the risks of infection and complications that come with even the most routine surgery. Why submit a boy to that if it isn't necessary?
yes i do need conclusive proof because when i go into intelligent discussions (such as what i encounter in the forum), i want to be fully aware of all the facts or lack of it.

take note that i am not just looking for proof on the harm of circumcision but also its benefits. i like forming my opinion/making a stand after i get the facts.

:)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
teenage_parent said:
yes i do need conclusive proof because when i go into intelligent discussions (such as what i encounter in the forum), i want to be fully aware of all the facts or lack of it.

take note that i am not just looking for proof on the harm of circumcision but also its benefits. i like forming my opinion/making a stand after i get the facts.

:)
Ok, fair enough. As long as it isn't a matter of "prove that it's harmful or I'll do it to my future son" ;)