Circumcision ban?...

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
mom2many said:
No, the US is still one of a handful of countries that still does circ's routinely. The numbers are dropping, but that doesn't change the fact's. It's not misinformation. Yes, there are a few countries that do it more, but that's based on their religious beliefs. Not so true here in the US, many people still do it based off of old notions.
I guess I don't know what you mean by "routinely". The rate for the US newborns in hospitals was recently measured at 54%, 25% in the western US.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think you answered your own question, 54% is pretty routine, it's not "standard" but pretty common.

I think there are lots of misconceptions about what is "normal" and people tend to view normal based on their own experience. (i.e. I was circumsized, so it was normal to have it done to my boys.) with discussions like this and more information (about the potential negative long term effects and the statistics about how it's not as "pervasive" of a practice as it might seem to be) I might have made other choices. I'm not going to wrack myself with regret, but in retrospect it does seem it was unnecessary and possibly not the best choice.

Familylover

Jun 6, 2012
I don't seem to understand the obsession with circumcision either. It also bothers me that an innocent little child does not get a say in the matter of undergoing such a painful surgery. I always thought circumcision was necessary until I met my recent husband who is not circumcised. He has really opened my eyes to how little it really makes a difference and makes me question why we are all obsessed with the concept of it.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
we didnt choose it for my sons (cus their moms didn't want it), but if people choose to do i don't see a problem. to each their own.
lol, i am + my mom told me once because it looked better. so meh

cheekygirl

Jul 25, 2012
o not know exactly where I stand with regard to outlawing circumcision, but I do know that it rightly rests upon the boundary where religious/cultural freedom and child protection border one another. For at what stage is the line separating parental discretion and child abuse crossed? Piercing the ears of an infant? Branding a newborn with a small, religiously-required marking? Circumcising the penis of an infant male?

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
I really dont get it why people want to alter something that is absolutely natural and normal. Why go through the pain if some unreasonable people will make fun of you later. It is just not worth it and doesnt make sense to me. It has no uses. So why make a poor kid go through the torture.

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
mom2many said:
(...)
To be honest, though, dad and son are never going to be comparing their penises, nor are young men in the locker room.(...)
That's where you're wrong. Men and boys will be comparing penises... not necessarily openly, but of course comparisons are made ... just like girls compare boobs !

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
BabyAngel said:
That's where you're wrong. Men and boys will be comparing penises... not necessarily openly, but of course comparisons are made ... just like girls compare boobs !
Woman do not compare boobs. We compare who's are real and whos are not...big difference...duh :rollseyes:

As long as men are not just whipping it out, comparison is mild. Now if you guys start comparing who's is real and who's isn't...we've got bigger issue's the circ'ing lol

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
BabyAngel said:
I have never met a man in my entire life who has attempted to compare his penis to mine and I have never done it to another man, I'm also yet to meet a man having any discussion about an others penis, I also don't know of anyone woman would compare her breasts to an others.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
Jeremy+3 said:
I have never met a man in my entire life who has attempted to compare his penis to mine and I have never done it to another man, I'm also yet to meet a man having any discussion about an others penis, I also don't know of anyone woman would compare her breasts to an others.

As another man, I wholeheartedly agree

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm going to second M2M, I don't whip my boobs out and compare them to other women's. Sure I can make observations on them based on size and whatnot, but I can safely say that I have never analysed their similarities or differences with another.

Same reason why we don't go around comparing elbows. "My elbow is slightly more natural than yours" "But my elbow is more rounded, whereas yours is more pointy"

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
My oldest was circumcised only because I was young and that was just the norm here. It wasn't even something that I thought to consider. At that time I only knew one person that had not been circumcised and he was an oddity for this area. ( He wasn't born in the US) It was just common practice here. Before I had my second son, the debate on it had begun and I did take to time to investigate the advantage/disadvantage and it was a choice that I worried over. First, I did not know at the time my oldest was born that they did not numb him,( per hospital policy), just strapped him down and cut away until it was over. That still hurts my heart thinking about it. The choice to do my youngest son was made by talking to not only my OBGYN and his Pediatrician and but to a mother who had made the choice not to. Her son was 8 years old when they eventually had to circumcise him because he did in fact have several infections that had gotten really bad and once the skin on top had even started growing together making it painful when it stretched out to pee. He sat with ice packs over his little mess for several days and was quite pitiful. That being said, we researched and found out that my younger son could be circumcised outside of the hospital by our doctor, where they had the option to first numb the area and we we're allowed to be in the room to comfort him. He did not cry at all. I did. Am I sure I made the right choice? No. I'm glad if it had to be done he was a baby and not 8.. but would he have had to have it done later? I don't know.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
BabyAngel said:
Yeah we all do that. Frankly its a little depressing.