Closed threads??...

Nadhima

Jul 21, 2010
Vermont
I'm new here....but why are so many threads in the "Debate" section of the forum closed?? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a debate? Just wondering? Maybe I'm missing something....not sure.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Most of them are probably older than 30 days. We don't allow threads to be "bumped". If the last post is over 30 days old we don't allow them to be posted in.

On the other hand, yes the point of the debate section is to debate. But sometimes they get out of hand, therefore they are closed.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Also sometime people just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Whats the point?

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
yep. if the same option is just forced over and over again and it gets out of hand it isn't really fun to debate it anymore.. it just gets old and boring

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Although we sometimes close threads because they are getting pointless, the very vast majority are because they are old. Xero just did a bunch of work ot close old threads so we don't have confusion over the 30 day thread bumping rule. Basically the goal is to keep fresh posts up top, so posters can get good feedback and not get lost among the same old threads, that's all, no conspiracy.

Anopers

Aug 3, 2010
What if a threat is older? Is it really necessary to start a new one, why not re-open the old?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Anopers said:
What if a threat is older? Is it really necessary to start a new one, why not re-open the old?
"Basically the goal is to keep fresh posts up top, so posters can get good feedback and not get lost among the same old threads"

It's really not such a big deal, if you have something you want to post on and it's old or closed just post your own question to open up a new discussion on the topic.

We all undestand how, especially with new people, you find something you can relate to and want to comment on it. That's great, if it drives you to comment and you thinkit'd be a good relevant topic, open a thread. After you've been herre a while, you'll appreciate not having the clutter of seeing the same 5 threads all the time with someone's "I agree" tacked on the end.

We want this to be a fun place where you can post something and generate some answeres and feedback. To that end we don't want you're exciting new thread buried behind a three year old dog, as people tend to comment most on the recent post that shows up in the thread headline.