Closing old threads?...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I was wondering if anyone would be against me attempting to scan through the old threads and close as many as possible? It looks like it wouldn't be too hard, but just time consuming. I can work on it a little every day and if I ever finish it would make things so much easier to keep up with and we wouldn't have to piss people off so often. :eek:

But I didn't want to do something kinda extreme without the consent of everyone. Maybe its a bad idea, so I just thought I would throw it out there.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I think it's a good idea...actually I was looking for an easy and quick way to do it in bulk, but couldn't find one. I would personally suggest closing anything older than 1 year old.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Cool I'll probably start working on that soon. :) I did see one small way to make it a little bit easier (but still not easy enough lol) there is a check box at the top of every "page" in each forum that allows to you to kinda "select all" or whatever and you can close the threads with the drop box tool at the bottom. You probably already know that lol but I noticed it today and thought I could work off of it to close at least some of the old threads.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'll just start by closing everything that wasn't posted in since 2009 or earlier. Everything from 2010 I will leave for now and then if I ever get ahead in this process I'll think about old posts from 2010 at that time. :)

I have officially finished the support area!! lol It was so short it was the easiest.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh I think I just confused myself. Is the rules and guidelines sticky supposed to be open or closed? Its closed right now, and I can't remember if I did it or if it was like that. lol helpppppppppppp

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I officially finished closing all 2009 or earlier threads in the entire Introductions forum and also the General Chat forum including the Comedy subforum, aaaaaand the Forum Stuff including all subforums except for the Reported Posts & Infractions because I figured it didn't matter. Recycling Bin also didn't need done. So the entire first section is complete!! I just closed literally thousands of threads!! lol And continuing on! :)

I'll do another section when I get home from doing my laundry and maybe going to the mall. :D At this rate I'll be done in a couple of days.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Okay the entire "General Parenting Forums" section is now complete! All threads (with the last post in them) dated from 2009 and earlier are closed in the General, Education, Health/Nutrition, Parenting Products, Parenting Debate, and Family Album and all corresponding subforums (Bragging Rights). :D

Now I'm going to get dinner going and then I'll be back to work on the next section.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Holy crap Xero...nicely done! To answer your question, it doesn't matter if you leave the rules and guidelines thread opened or closed...we may end up redoing it anyway.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I was thinking about redoing them when I'm done with closing the old threads if nobody was against it... :) I figured I'd type up a new version and then post it in Mod Talk for you guys to review and edit and help me get them to look right.

Of course, I work tonight so I wont be getting as much done as yesterday but I am on a roll huh lol.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Wow, aren't you the energizer bunny? Well done.

I pulled down the rules and had started to work on revising them, but works a little hella busy right now, so I'm not sure when I'd bget back to it. Have at it if you want...

so....is this "e-nesting?"

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I am not pregnant IADad LOL!! Otherwise I would say yes, I nested like crazy when I was pregnant with Eli. :p I know you were working on the rules, I figured you were busy. I only work about 3 days a week sometimes 4 so I have the extra time. :)

Anyway, I just finished the rest of the forum!! All threads in the entire forum with a last post date from 2009 or earlier are ALL closed! :)

So what about the rest of the threads that are from this year, but that are older than 30 days? Should I just leave them open?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'd say anything older than 30, that'll save us writing reminders to newbies. Of course it's a moving target, but anything closed will save effort for the rest of us.

Thanks again!

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I know we say less than 30 days, but I think we should leave threads open for a designated period of time...say 90 days? the reason would be if someone responds to a thread that's 45 days old and still possibly relevant and we let it slide.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well that's why I was asking, I thought maybe there might be a reason to leave them hanging open a bit longer...

I agree 30 days is cutting it a little too close. So what do you think, then? 60 days or 90 days left open? I'm don't really have an opinion either way, I just want to know what you guys think so I can do it. :)

Oh and as for it being a moving target, yes that's totally true, but once I cover all of it this time (which is difficult and time consuming) then it will be easy I think to keep up with it. Kind of like laundry and dishes. lol Its hard to close thousands of threads, not so hard to close dozens every month or so.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Thanks... sometimes boredom can result in productiveness lol. :p

Alrighty I'll cut them back to 90 days. I figure if in the future we want to change that to something earlier, we always could. We'll see what this does for us!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Okay I now have all threads closed that are any older than 90 days!! :) Let's see how this works out for us.

I also emailed Sanjay asking about a Step parenting subforum. :) I said I was going to a looooong time ago and never got around to it. So we'll see if that happens. haha