Confused by daughter's eating habits...

hewz50

Oct 23, 2007
Moundsville, WV
Hey yall, need a wee bit of help/advice here.

My daughter will be five months old on the 10th. For a while now, she had been good with 6 ounces of formula every 3 hours or so, then it dropped to 2.5 hours, and now two. Naturally, I assumed she was getting enough so I added a little more, but she would still only eat every two hours and only six ounces. We've also started her on level 1 solid foods, which she seems to like, but even with that, it's every two hours. A lot of sites I've looked at said kids her age should be hungry every 3-4 hours, so should I be worried? Thanks.

Michael

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My youngest (DD) nursed every two hours up until about 8 or 9 months of age. She was a peanut and also had GERD (reflux), which I suspect had something to do with it. Our ped. wasn't concerned, as long as she was growing and gaining weight. At the point when she didn't nurse as often, she stopped gaining sufficient weight and we had to supplement with high calorie formula.

Babies will often eat more often when going through growth spurts. Talk with your pediatrician if you're concerned.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
At 4 to 5 months kids have their first major growth spurt. This seems normal. I am a nursing mom myself so I am not sure about all the formula stuff. Have you tried rice cereal (in a bowl not in the bottle) yet? Maybe that will fill her little tummy a bit more.