Connecticut: discussions and debate...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Where did you hear that?

This is the US. We have free speech.

I cant imagine that being even remotely true. I will look it up but it's not likely.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
bssage said:
Where did you hear that?

This is the US. We have free speech.

I cant imagine that being even remotely true. I will look it up but it's not likely.
How about this?
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2012/12/connecticut-police-spokesman-newtown-will-prosecute-independant-journalist-whistleblowers-video-2516018.html?utm_source=beforeitsnews.com&utm_medium=twitter[/url]
Nevermind the site, but the link to video i received on twitter.

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I would like to see the whole video. It cuts off short.

I am guessing that it is regarding information presented as if it came from an official source. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. He didn't say what law he was referring to. He did indicate it was in regard to "reports" not blogging or ranting or whatever.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I would like the leave the "General" Thread for just condolences ect. There is going to be plenty of discussion from media coverage to blame. I think this would be a better place for those conversations.

Click Here For Original Thread

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Yeah I got that. There was some of the video missing. But we all know you cant shut Americans up. There has to be more going on with this.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
You must have just moved this...I was so confused. One minute it was there and the next it was gone. Yet, if I hit the back button it was there again. Damn, i knew it was early but I didn't think my brain was that fried.

As to shutting us up....yeah, that's not gonna happen. just look at Westbourgh Church.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
They're not really going to picket are they? I am just hoping it's an empty threat.

For a bunch of people who consider themselves morally superior to everyone else, surely they can see that disrupting the funerals of children is one of the lowest things you can do.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
TabascoNatalie said:
He also did say "in any manner on social networking sites"...
He said:
In any manner THAT CAN BE CONSTRUED AS A VIOLATION OF STATE OF FEDERAL LAW will be prosecuted.

What I understand is that IF you break the law (ie. post misinformation as if coming from a legitimate source), you will be prosecuted.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Cop2be said:
It violates freedom of speech, plain and simple.
Really?

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's not OK to spread misinformation while pretending that it comes from a reliable source. Doing that is not only incredibly insensitive towards the families of the victims (both dead and surviving), but could also possibly jeopardize the police investigation.

I don't know about the U.S., but here, freedom of speech doesn't include the right to lie.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
well, if it is about fake reporting, that makes sense.
i wonder what about those conspiracy theories and speculations flying around twitter and other networks.
it is quite common today to prosecute people for "offensive" comments online. and since this topic is of extreme sensitivity, i wonder what can be constructed as offensive.