Conquering homework troubles...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Anyone who has had, or been around, a school aged child knows that homework can be a big deal. I personally am not a big fan of homework, however it exists whether I like it or not, and it must be done! A lot of kids have trouble getting homework done, it is a very common problem that a lot of parents have a hard time getting under control. I have known kids that would actually fail classes just because they never did their homework, even though they did well on school work and tests. Kids need to understand the importance of getting their homework done, and often times they need help making sure it's done. Ignoring homework troubles can lead to poor grades, falling behind, and an urge to give up on school. There are several things you can do to prevent this.

Don't leave the timing up to them. If you tell them to do their homework whenever they want, they will continue to push it later and later until it's too late and they are rushing to do it, or they decide not to do it at all. My mom used to have "homework time" after school every day for us six kids. Even if we said we didn't have any, we were required to sit at the kitchen table for a minimum of a half an hour after we got home from school before we were allowed to do anything else. If we didn't have homework, then we had to read something, even if it was just the newspaper. This way, chances are if we did have homework and we were just saying that we didn't to get out of it, we would probably just do it because we were sitting there anyway.

Another great tool are "agenda books" or "daily planners" that have a spot on them for each day of the week where a student can write their homework down. You can check this every day after school and make sure that each thing is done. If you have a tricky child, the type that might not write it down or will try to erase it later, you can require that they write it in pen only and have their teacher's sign them everyday in approval (if such a thing is offered at your child's school).

The most important thing is to be supportive. Make sure that you are available to help if things get too frustrating for your kids. Even if the work is out of your league, give them the tools to help themselves. Show them how to find the answers in the book, help them look it up on the internet, call a friend in the same class, whatever you can think of. Don't let them give up. There is always a way to get it done, without making your head explode!

The end result of making sure homework is done is unquestionably a happier, more confident kid. The stress of showing up to class empty handed is gone. They will take pride in handing the work in every day, and they will enjoy the fact that their teachers are pleased. Their grades will be easier to keep up, and they will be more likely to be successful in school all together. Things can only get better from there!

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
In Coles age group. The homework itself is critical more for its benefits as practice. And less as a grade. Homework does not amount to much for his grade. But the test's do.

What I have started doing is on the days he has no/or little homework. Durring homework time. If he has no homework. He must either read (for AR) or review the things he has done.

I know its a drag but IMHO its very important to get into the habit of looking through his backpack daily. Assignments, permission slips, and note's to the parent seem to get lost there like socks in the laundry.

I also constantly remind him to AsK The Teacher if he doesn't understand. Ask again if he still doesn't. And keep asking until he does.

Most of the schools have a internet presence. Take advantage of that. I get a progress report weekly (could get daily or monthly). So no more waiting for parent teacher week to know where he stands in class. Its sent right to my phone.

Last edited:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree, it's important to look through the back pack as often as you can remember, and the internet programs are amazing! We have that in our district too, basically you can sign online to see grades and progress, even to contact teachers. It's great.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
We have to sign an assignment notebook every night. And in our house we don't ask, he has to either do his homework or tell us what he needs to do, and get out the assignment notebook and ask one of us to sign it. It really is good to gett him in the habit of reviewing what he needs to do for the next day.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
That internet stuff is cool. And not just for us. The teachers get a quicker reaction. And when DS gets restricted he can get unrestricted as soon as his grade goes back up. If I had a Iphone I could sync his teachers and school calendar and would know what he is eating today or what assignments he should be bringing home tonight.

Very cool

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm really glad we have these spiffy tools for our generation. :) It just wasn't that easy for my parents to keep in touch with what was going on with me like that when I was in school.

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
When our granddaughter started school I quickly put in place a routine for doing homework.

Went she gets home she has afternoon tea. We then do her reading & spelling once completed the rest of the time is free.

This hopefully will teach her good working habits when the hard homework starts. Both of us know that the routine & believe me it does make life much easier and there is absolutely no agruments.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I am a strong believer in that type of routine, Sallskidshop! That's the way my mom always did it and where it wasn't always flawless, it worked a lot better than anything else.

I have a random question - when you say afternoon tea, does that mean actual tea? Or is that like a way of saying afternoon snack? And if it's tea, is it like hot tea? How often do kids drink tea there? I just am interested because you just wouldn't see kids drinking tea here lol. Plus it seems odd to me because tea is generally caffeinated. Caffeine is not good for kids IMO.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Caffiene not good for kids? Depends on how many pairs of shoes or swetpants you need them to produce in the next 4 hours... ;-)