Could you please help 8-year-old Shanghai boy improve his English?...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Hi May,

I've been looking this one over for a while, and although it looks like these two sentences are independent they actually are not.
There are specific and complicated rules to American English grammar as you know, this is just one of those rules:
A complete sentence should be able to stand alone and make complete sense by itself.

Example, if you read this sentence in the paper it makes sense.

"Mom killed three aunts". It's fine just like that.

If you read this one in a news paper it would not make any sense by itself.

"They were eating our sugar in our kitchen."

There are other ways to shorten this, and for it to still make sense, but to simplify for your young son for now, just put a comma between the two parts instead of a period.

"Mom killed three ants, they were eating our sugar in our kitchen."

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
NancyM said:
Hi May,

I've been looking this one over for a while, and although it looks like these two sentences are independent they actually are not.
There are specific and complicated rules to American English grammar as you know, this is just one of those rules:
A complete sentence should be able to stand alone and make complete sense by itself.

Example, if you read this sentence in the paper it makes sense.

"Mom killed three aunts". It's fine just like that.

If you read this one in a news paper it would not make any sense by itself.

"They were eating our sugar in our kitchen."

There are other ways to shorten this, and for it to still make sense, but to simplify for your young son for now, just put a comma between the two parts instead of a period.

"Mom killed three ants, they were eating our sugar in our kitchen."
:)Thank you so much! Nancy

I just saw your correction.

You helps a lot! I just learned this rules from you.

Thanks again!

Have a great day!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
My grammy is EXPO volunteer. She walks around downstairs every Thursday.[/quote]

Okay, let's dig in here...first of all, he needs an article. I don't know what it is about people you natively speak asian languages (and sorry to generalize, it just seems so) You need an "article" to go with most singular nouns. So you either need an indfinite article (a or an) or if it's the specifc only one the definite article (the). So, in this case, Grammy's not the only volunteer, so you use the indefinite article "an" (although some would advocate for the use of "a." The controversy comes from whether you are modifying "Expo" or "volunteer." So, if I were saying the sentence it would be My grammy is an EXPO volunteer.

Now theres nothing wrong with the second sentence, it's just a little odd because out of context we don't know what it means to be walking around downstairs (pehaps she's stalking your sisters....;) )

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Mum and I watched the movie Titanic this morning. There were only 700 survived in 2200 people after it hit the iceberg.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
IADad said:
Okay, let's dig in here...first of all, he needs an article. I don't know what it is about people you natively speak asian languages (and sorry to generalize, it just seems so) You need an "article" to go with most singular nouns. So you either need an indfinite article (a or an) or if it's the specifc only one the definite article (the). So, in this case, Grammy's not the only volunteer, so you use the indefinite article "an" (although some would advocate for the use of "a." The controversy comes from whether you are modifying "Expo" or "volunteer." So, if I were saying the sentence it would be My grammy is an EXPO volunteer.

Now theres nothing wrong with the second sentence, it's just a little odd because out of context we don't know what it means to be walking around downstairs (pehaps she's stalking your sisters....;) )
Thank you IADad!

My grammy is an EXPO volunteer.

As why his grammy ( she is his nanny, she doesn't help us take care of Andy's sister, his sister has another nanny.) walks around downstairs, I don't understand either. Maybe just like patrolling.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
We are going to Suzhou tomorrow. Suzhou is one of the most beautiful city in China.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
The Secret Garden English Corner

Today, Oct 24th, Sunday, I organized an English Corner for my classmates. It was in our compound. We called it the Secret Garden English Corner, because we plan to organize it every Sunday, and we plan to organize it in different gardens.

It was drizzling this morning, so only four classmates came. My neighbor John is from London, he planned to join us, but he didn’t , because he caught a bad cold. However, we had a good start; we talked about our favorite seasons this time.

We will organize it next weekend too. Which garden? It’s a secret.

VICTORIAVIGILANTI

Aug 14, 2020
Yes! My kids are using this English learning app called Eduka's World!! and best of all, it is completely free!!! They love it and they have been learning so much. It's fun, educational and my kids are getting quality screentime as well! Here is the app link incase you want to try: https://bit.ly/3l5hB8v