Daughter and bikini problem...

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
<SIZE size="125"></SIZE>

My 14 yr-old daughter has recently used her birthday money to buy 5 bikinis, that I feel are a bit to skimpy and leave little to the imagination as for her age she is very well developed in the bust area. I am not anti bikini and I had already taken her shopping and bought her both a bikini and swimsuit that I thought were suitable for her age wise etc. When we did the shopping for the above swimwear I had already told her when she tried to push for a similar bikini to these that the answer was that I did not think that they were suitable.

The bikinis are as follows 4 are sliding triangle tops with spaghetti string ties and side tying bottoms one of these are also white and would be completely see-through when wet. The fifth bikini has a sliding triangle top with spaghetti string with hipster style bottoms and would also be quite see-through when wet. I just feel these bikinis are less than suitable for a 14 yr-old to be wearing as in my opinion they are for girls of at least 18.

I have at the moment confiscated these bikinis and am wondering what best to do with them.

Should I keep the bikinis and allow controlled use of them, that is allow my daughter to wear them at home when I deem it suitable for her to do so.

My mother reckons I should sit my daughter down with a pair of nail scissors and make her cut them to pieces.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on how best to handle this?

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I am usually a relaxed Mom when it comes to clothes.. however, If I had already told her that they were not acceptable, they would go. 14 is a hard age.. she wants to act grown when she is not yet there. Its important for her to learn that sexy doesn't mean showing all you got. It easy to get confused on that when your watching all your friends do it.

When my 19 year old was a young teen, we battled a little over skirts that were too short.. We compromised with having to wear shorts underneath them. And Tank tops.. always meant a sports bra to help cover them. We had the "What it meant to be a woman" rules. There are quite a few.. but I'll share some of them with you.

1. Camel toes are never acceptable in any situation...EVER!:eek:
2. Muffin tops are never acceptable in any situation...EVER!:eek:
3. Protect the tata's. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for
free?:p
4. What women have is gold.. every man a pirate after it. If you offer it
away like it worthless, it's copper. People walk by pennies all day long
never stop to pick them up. Keep the gold. :rolleyes:

well.... the list goes on and on. My 19 year old can recite them like they are the ten commandments.. and the 13 year old is learning well. Perhaps you can make your own list. ;)

Reactions: Moonstone

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
My two cents.

You had already said no once. regardless of whether they are two sexy or not. They are gone. IMO I wouldnt destroy them. Sell them or return them. I would be to cheap to throw them away.

And for what its worth I agree with you.

MTA I want to see the whole list. I like the first part.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
mom2all, i like those rules. would you share the rest? they might be helpful with an 8 yr. old trying to go on 16. :)

i agree so far. you set the rules and said no. so you should keep them for yourself or make her return them or get her to destroy them. but if those aren't options b/c you don't want the money already spent to go to waste then you could always only allow their use only when you are with her and make her wear a swimsuit sarong and make her stay out of the water.
personally for us we would stick with our rules and not give in on this one. and have a talk with her about the potential dangers and stuff, not that you already haven't done that talk.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I like mom2alls rules too and second the motion for starting a thread an d posting all of them.

Now, the matter at hand - I think you want to stick to your guns, you said no, you meant it. I think cutting them up is a little rude. I mean do you really want to hurt her, show complete disregard for her feelings? I think that only teaches her that it's okay to be mean. Obviously she's testing you, and that's normal. It's also normal, although becoming less common for mom to stick to her principles.

It seems like you're being pretty reasonable on the whole issue. I hope you can impress that upon her.

oh, and Bryan, I don't think most stores will let you return swimwear...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would also like to see hte rest of the rules...lol

also...my thoughts on this one are toss the bikinis...if you already said no than that was the answer. Plus from what you described they do not sounds right for her age AT ALL

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
No sense in cutting them up, just take her to return them, after all, it is her money that bought them.

Im also a little amazed that she bought 5 bikinis, who needs 5? DUDE.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Id take them back and get the moeny back and them go with her to get something you can both agree on. A hellish expidition I know! But i am with everyone else in that if you already said no it is not good to go back on it. Every time i have made that error (a lot in the early days) it has bitten me on the ass

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
Hi And thanks for all the answers to this to all

To 16th avenue

I would not wear these bikinis my self for a couple of reasons
1 The bikinis are at least a couple of sizes to small for me
2 I think my days of wearing a string bikini are well and truly behind me anyway

To all that suggested they should be returned unfortunately this is not a possibility as my daughter had without me knowing about the bikinis had already worn three of them and the other two have gone past the seven day return rule we have here.

So I really am left with two options get rid of them or allow controlled use of them as such.

Any suggestions would be most helpful

This is a picture of My daughter
Taylor on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
If that is the case get rid of them. It is a consequence of breaking the rules

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
To Aunt

Do you think it would be a good Idea to follow my mother's suggestion of making my daughter destroy the bikinis first that is sit her down with a pair of nail scissors and make her cut them to pieces

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
id say no to making her cut them up. It seems a little vindictive. personally I think punishments are about learning. She got something behind your back she knew you wouldnt allow so you are following through by not allowing it.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I agree with Aunt there...making her cut them up seems wrong to me in a lot of ways. I would make her return them with you though

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
Hi

I would love to be to return the bikinis but it is not possible as she had worn three already and the other two have gone past the seven day return rule here.

Thoughts on how to effectively have controlled use Rules etc for wearing or how to get rid of them please

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
well if that's the case I guess would tell her you'll hang on to them until she's older or just throw them out. When she bought them she knew you wouldn't approve so it's unfortunate for her that she wasted her birthday money on something she knew she wasn't suppose to have. Maybe she'll learn a lesson...lol Good luck to you. I'm sure you have your hands full raising a teen. Hormones, boys, and bikinis...lol I'm not looking forward to this stage at all

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree entirely with Fallon's last post. She absolutely should not have any use, even controlled, of the bikini's. They sound so wrong for a 14 year old, in my opinion. Even the pictures you posted in that link all kind of looked focused on her boobs... But maybe I'm just putting too much thought into it...

Either way, appropriate or not, I think you should get rid of them (since you can't return them) and oh well so sad she spent her birthday money on something she wasn't allowed to buy and now she can't get the money back and she can't keep the stuff she bought. Such are the consequences of life. Its a learning experience. Allowing her to keep them in any form is kinda wrong (not only because they sound skimpy to the point of me feeling uncomfortable just thinking about them on a 14 year old kid but) because you told her no and she went behind your back and made a fool of you. Just toss them.

Also, I think making her cut them up or you cutting them up in front of her would be vindictive and hurtful and just unneccessary in my opinion. That would really upset her and probably make her hate you WAY more than if you just tossed them. But just don't toss them somewhere that she can dig them up hahaha.

That's kind of a big difference though, either make her cut them up into little pieces or keep them and let her wear them... sometimes... lol

AmyBelle, I must say I agree on the idea of needing five bikinis at once is a little random... lol

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The fact that my daughter Taylor bought five bikinis is the easy part to explain about this, she has of late become very clothing orientated and will spend virtually every bit of money she gets buying clothing.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/B]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/B]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;This is just one of the issues I have to deal with when I go clothing shopping with her, as she will almost without a doubt try and get more than we went in for originally, another major one is trying to keep her looking like a 14 yr-old is very difficult as she is well developed and looks 2 or 3 years older than she actually is, added to this fact is that she has to wear adult clothing. I try my best with her to be fair to a certain extent and let her be “Fashionable”, within the standards I have, Taylor on the other hand tries hard to push the boundaries, I understand this is because she is a teenager and that is just fairly normal, we have had a few disagreements, but I most of the time do stick to my guns with her on this.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/B]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/B]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The bikini issue being one of these, as I said at the very beginning, I am not anti her having a bikini, and Taylor had at this point tried to push for one of the type that she then went and bought several of behind my back, I had also told her “NO” and explained why this was the case and then we had got around to actually buying her a bikini that we both agreed on, although even here we still disagreed as she wanted more than one and I had to stick to my guns of one bikini and one one-piece swimsuit. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/B]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;As you noticed from the photo’s one of the first things that are really noticeable about my daughter Taylor are her breasts and she already gets lots of attention from boys because of them, so the last thing I want to have happen is for her to get even more. This is my number one reason as to why I do not want her to wear the bikinis she bought, as the two triangles allow way too much to be on show, it was also the reason why I did not permit this style originally. I can see all sorts of horrors here as none of the bikinis are exactly secure only being held in place by small bows, I can see the strings being pulled loose and her ending up topless or completely naked. &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I am personally also not overly keen on my mothers suggestion of making her cut the bikinis up or even of me doing so in front of her as like you say this will only in all events cause lots of other problems, which I have no desire to do.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I am equally not keen on the controlled use idea that my husband came up with for them as firstly I would have to be the one who did the controlling and would have to decide when and if the bikinis can be worn in the process having to deal with Taylor if I said no to her and I also feel that this to a certain extent would be sending the wrong type of message to her as well. &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;What I somehow have to do is to get the message across though that I said NO to this type of bikini and it meant NO. But also somehow in the process I also have to get the fact that there are consequences for disobeying and being sneaky across as well. As I really think she needs to see what happened to the bikinis and what will happen again should she do so again. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;But the options for doing this are very limited and these are the only options I can think of.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;1. I keep the bikinis and do not permit any use.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;2 I bin them on rubbish day next week as the bin is put out for collection in front of her.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;3 Give them to my mother her grandmother in front of her to take home with her and dispose off ( I know without a doubt that my mother will first cut them before binning).&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Any thoughts and options on how to get the message across would be most helpful&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Id keep them and in 4 years time go "Oh by the way, these are yours"

But id really only do that for shits and giggles...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I would say either number two, or get rid of all of her swim suits other than the one piece. haha... but maybe that's mean. Certainly seems like it would teach her the lesson though. You compromised with her on a bikini when you guys went out and bought it, and she broke that compromise by making her own decision to buy the unnacceptable ones. So the compromise ends, and all bikinis are gone including the one you let her have. Now she has to swim in a boring one piece all summer. :/

But that just randomly popped up into my head.