Daughter and bikini problem...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I like amys suggestion here. In a few years you will both laugh and I feel your pain here. The other day a clothes shopping expidition became so heated that we had to call it off and resume things when we were both feeling calmer. Lets just say the kiddo became the argument for abortion in retrospect! this clothes thing is almost a textbook fight between girls at their mothers!

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I like Xero’s suggestion of denying her both the bikinis that she bought herself and not only these but also the bikini that I bought for her as well, and making her then only have a one-piece swimsuit to wear it actually sounds like a very good idea, I had not actually thought of taking that bikini away and saying “NO BIKINIS” until further notice.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;As for the one-piece swimsuit only I would consider even taking away the nice one that I bought with her as Taylor still has a very boring and conservative Navy blue one that I bought her for a school trip that even has a built in bra with soft cups, she dislikes it, and would hate to have to wear it.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I also had a message from another lady called Debbie on another forum with a suggestion on how to deal with the bikinis I have copied and enclosed it below.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;“Like yourself I to a couple of years back caught my daughter wearing a bikini, that she was supposed to have, my husband has never approved of them even on me so we had a long time ago decided we were not going to allow our daughters to wear them. Our eldest daughter 15 at the time pushed her luck with this green bikini and when I caught her wearing it, rather than just getting rid of it, the bikini was simply completely sewn closed and as you can see from the photos I have included it was done in such away that it could not be undone and worn again. I have kept the bikini as an example to my two younger daughters and told them that if I find out they have or are wearing bikinis the same will happen to theirs. I see that you have flickr account so I have posted the pics there for you.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt; I hope this is helpful as a suggestion and if it were up to me I would do this to your problem bikinis and I would put you daughter back into a one-piece.”&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;URL url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48175748@N07/sets/72157623578325508/&lt;/LINK_TEXT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/URL]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;What are your are your thought and opinions on this as a suggestion to deal with the bikinis?&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's a pretty funny idea, and would probably be just as effective, but it seems like too much work to me to sew it all up like that.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I would steer clear of anything too over the top. You didnt have a problem with the one piece so why take this away as well?

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I think taking away the one-piece is counter-productive. Its like saying "These are banned, BUT just because I can, im taking away the stuff that iasnt aswell"

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Hi Xero and everyone &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Before I go any further I actually yesterday decided to have my daughter Taylor try on the bikinis that she had bought just to make sure that I was not being paranoid and un-reasonable about them. But all that did was confirm my decision that I do not feel they are suitable. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Like you said it is most certainly an effective way of dealing with a bikini, because not only have the sides been sewed together, but it has also been sewed across the top and the bottoms. But like you also noted there is a lot of sewing to do to achieve this. From my own point of view if I had only one bikini to deal with I would have seriously thought about it as an option, but I have five bikinis to deal with so it really is not all that practical as I don’t own a sewing machine myself, so I would have to find someone or somewhere willing to do sewing up of the bikinis and then have to pay for doing so.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;There actually does not seem to be a good way to deal with these bikinis, because whichever way I turn they are harsh, whether they are destroyed and binned, just binned as they are or even as suggested sewn up, I am probably going to have some difficult times with my daughter about it.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Equally if I just keep the bikinis, I know I am in for her nagging me about and attempting to get me to give to let her have them to wear, equally I would have to be very careful about where they are stored as I will equally run the risk of her attempting to find them to wear. But it seems to be the best course of action at the moment, so I am going to go this route and keep them with a bit of luck my daughter will learn that although they are still about she will have no use of them. To avoid the risk of her finding and wearing them I have decided to store the bikini tops and bottoms in separate locations for the time being, but I am still considering pulling the strings out of the tops.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;As for the bikini and swimsuit I bought for her, I have decided that I will let her have those as I agreed to them in the first place, so I feel it would be very wrong to go back on what I allowed now.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;But I have warned My daughter that if she buys any more bikinis, she will not only lose these, but she will lose the bikini and the swimsuit I agreed to let her have and I will impose the boring conservative swimsuit and she will only get and wear similar swimsuits until she is 18.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
uuh, i don' think drama was here. but i'm gonna just copy/paste the reply i had in another that was intended for this one...
oops. sorry.:eek:

my guess would be b/c its a teen there was :eek:Drama:eek:.

but i'd end up getting the things completely destroyed that way there wasn't any question of no. :nah:
NO means NO.
no more discussion on it.
Nada.
zip it!
not another word.!
No.

helen

Mar 10, 2010
I had a problem with a couple of bikinis that my ex-husband and his new wife allowed my daughter to have on a holiday she went with on with them just before she was 14. I did not approve of them and took corrective action.

Here is what they looked like before and after she hated me doing it but as she lives with me I make the rules.

http//:Bikini's the Solution - a set on Flickr

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
where's the rest of that reply???? what happened???<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>
dang it now i gotta come back later and fix it..:arghh:

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;It is as you say most definitely a TEENAGE CHALLENGE of parental authority, and this is not the only one recently and I am sure there will be plenty more to follow at the moment there are plenty of “NO” type discussions that is all that I seem to be doing of late with Taylor. My husband her dad wants to know where the sweet girl went to and when the alien moved in. There was certainly plenty of drama when I first discovered that she had the bikinis, I actually had to resort to the threat of searching her room to get her to give them to me. There was even more drama from Taylor when I told her I was confiscating the bikinis, she was particularly upset that there are two of them that she had not yet got to actually wear.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;In hindsight which is a wonderful thing, because what I should have done was to have dealt with the situation immediately and simply destroyed and binned the bikinis at the time. Rather than do as I have done and tried to be nice about it.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The thing that bothers me most about it is that Taylor seems to be becoming more and more disobedient and disrespectful as a whole and I will have to be very watchful and will have to stamp out this type of behaviour before it leads to even bigger problems.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="Tania;97633"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;It is as you say most definitely a TEENAGE CHALLENGE of parental authority, and this is not the only one recently and I am sure there will be plenty more to follow at the moment there are plenty of “NO” type discussions that is all that I seem to be doing of late with Taylor. My husband her dad wants to know where the sweet girl went to and when the alien moved in. There was certainly plenty of drama when I first discovered that she had the bikinis, I actually had to resort to the threat of searching her room to get her to give them to me. There was even more drama from Taylor when I told her I was confiscating the bikinis, she was particularly upset that there are two of them that she had not yet got to actually wear.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;In hindsight which is a wonderful thing, because what I should have done was to have dealt with the situation immediately and simply destroyed and binned the bikinis at the time. Rather than do as I have done and tried to be nice about it.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The thing that bothers me most about it is that Taylor seems to be becoming more and more disobedient and disrespectful as a whole and I will have to be very watchful and will have to stamp out this type of behaviour before it leads to even bigger problems.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Have you ever pulled on a cat's head? (gently of course, I'm not talking cruelty here...)if you put two finger on either side of their head, behind their ears and pull forward they will pull backwards trying to free themselves, when all the really have to do is walk forward.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I'm all for being firm, consistent and wanting to raise respectful children, just saying maybe you want to be sure you're listening to her, so you understnad her fears and frustration and more importantly she knows you are listening and hear her. Otherwise she's likely to tug away harder. I know I'm not in you shoes (and never will quite be since I only have boys) so I'm not trying to judge or preach, just offering that when I read your post, my first thought was "damn, that's only going to push her away. I think if she knows you're listening and care, then you can be as strict as you want, but not without the other, JMHO.&lt;/r&gt;

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Im trying to bite my tongue (or fingers, damn technology screwing up good old sayings) and ive tried to be helpful, but you know, good old Aussie beach culture, I wouldnt have a problem with my 14yr old wearing a bikini of any description.

I think, in light of the last post, you need to pick your battles. Dont sweat over things like how long it took you to take the bikinis, if theyre against what you believe is appropriate, then the main thing is that she now knows. All teenager say no to just about everything, you could wave their favourite thing infront of them and half of them will say no just to be a pain in the ass, its that kind of rebellion that helps them develop, good old cognitive development. Dont sweat that kind of stuff.

Remember, when youre little, your parents know everything, when youre a teenager, they know nothing and when youre an adult you realise that they know about some thing and not others.

At the moment, as far as she's convinced, you know nothing, and that will change with time, but for now, she's acting like a pretty average teenage girl.

Tania

Jan 27, 2010
It is never just NO for the sake of it and both her dad and I always tell her precisely why we are not going to allow whatever it is that we are saying no to at the time. What we are trying to do is be responsible caring parents, yes we understand that she has to learn from making mistakes herself, but neither of us will let her do things where we can see that she could come to serious harm or where there could be potential long term problems or damaging effects. That as parents I personally feel is our duty to her, and it is sometimes a case of protecting Taylor from herself to do so.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
There are equally a lot of times where dad and I compromise with her on lots of things, and there have been a good few of these lately and a lot of them have been clothing related. Firstly I let her mostly buy clothes from the shops she wants to apart from two because one of these shops is hugely overpriced junk aimed at teenage market. The other shop is one of those that the clothing is mostly very Tarty and some of it has no scope for wearing underwear beneath it without it being on show. Secondly as for choosing of the actual clothes themselves I let her choose and mostly I will just offer her guidance with her choices, but sometimes Taylor does try to go further than I am willing to let her and then it is NO.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
<SIZE size="125"> equally frequently tries to get more than I am prepared to buy her, but that is just teenage girl I think.</SIZE>
[/COLOR]
The bikini being one of these, she really wanted two or more, where I was prepared to buy one and although she actually had chosen the one we bought, she had equally also wanted the sliding triangle side tying bottom style that Taylor subsequently then went and bought, which I now currently have.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
I actually feel very bad about the fact that I have said NO to these and confiscated them from her. On one hand I feel I need to stick to my guns about these bikinis, but on the other hand I feel that maybe her dad has a point with his controlled use, that is letting her wear them at home in our own pool at suitable times would be a good option as well, but with me keeping them. That is rather than getting rid of these and Taylor becoming completely resentful etc and possibly buying and wearing worse behind my back. [/SIZE]</SIZE>[/COLOR]

Janie'10

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2010
Indiana
Wow! I just read through the four pages of this post, thinking how I could have written much the same in regards to my 14 y/o. In the past year we've gone from getting along 90% of the time to maybe 20 at the most. A major part of our quarreling is over her pushing the limits on her clothes. Like you said about your daughter, mine will buy stuff she knows I wouldn't approve of (or have already said no to) and I can count on her spending every last dime on clothes.
I would definitely stick with my original "NO" position, but wouldn't destroy the bikinis, either. I don't know about letting her wearing them around the house or at your discretion, because it seems like that would be a "slippery slope" type situation that, eventualy, might give way.
One thing I have to constantly struggle with is knowing that, eventually, I won't have as much ability to control what my daughter does, where she goes, or what she wears... I'm preparing by picking battles that I know are over significant issues, and then standing behind my decsions.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
Wow...I would just like to let you all know, this same story, has appeared periodically over the past year on Yahoo!Answers...

Except here it seems to be a little different.
There I believe were two versions one from the mothers point of view and the daughters.
Over the daughter untying her bottoms in the hot tub for a guy and the mom confiscating "sliding triangle top" bikinis and "side tying bottoms".
And the issue of cutting them up or sewing them together and leaving the daughter with nothing but a dull one piece for the whole summer.

Its one of the WORST repetitive troll stories there and you all bought it hook line and sinker. This "story" was brought about to piss of the teenagers of Yahoo!Answers and make the adults happy.

I don't know who post it all the time but its soo annoying.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Cop2be, most trolls don't come back to reply 8 times in a row, and have a complete conversation about something that (on a parenting forum) is really not controversial, disturbing, or otherwise uncomfortable or unpleasant to read. This thread is totally acceptable and didn't bother anybody. So if it is a troll, she wasted her time by giving us something ligitimate to chat about. And upon reading your post I searched Yahoo answers and found absolutely nothing. So its not that I entirely don't believe you, but I don't appreciate you posting snotty stuff like that without a link or something to prove it.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Sorry if I came off as snotty but it is indeed a troll and I will go find some links.

*Edit*
Bikinis, daughter’s abuse of my trust in her? - Yahoo! Answers

Bikini which would be the better/more effective punishment? - Yahoo! Answers

Bikinis ex bought for our 14 yr-old daughter I am trying to be fair to her? - Yahoo! Answers

Bikini Top Incident PLEASE HELP ? - Yahoo! Answers

Bikini Top I let my boyfriend undo it, Mum caught us and punished me is she right? - Yahoo! Answers

Help me is this punishment the right one for letting boyfriend undo bikini top? - Yahoo! Answers

I think that's enough, there were atleast 9 other post of this same question.
That one person posted that same question 15 times and thats just the teen version.

And here's the parent version

15 yr-old daughter's bikini top incident do you think this is a fitting punishment? - Yahoo! Answers

There were 3 versions, I was wrong.
One where the father or whatever lets her get them.
One from the girls perspective.
And one from the moms perspective.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Just watch out for some kid/parent posting questions about some 6-8 month grounding where hes limited to school, chores, the bathroom and just sitting in his room with nothing it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Cop2be said:
Its one of the WORST repetitive troll stories there and you all bought it hook line and sinker. This "story" was brought about to piss of the teenagers of Yahoo!Answers and make the adults happy.
-that's what I was referring to.

Anyway, I clicked on and read all of those links and yeah they're similar but they aren't the same. There is nothing in what this person posted that mentioned a boyfriend, or a top coming off, or grounding for two months. These are all different stories on the same completely legitimate topic. Its probably a big thing with teenagers. What I'm saying is there are a lot of differences in the stuff you linked from this thread. Close, but not exact... you know. And clearly somebody posted their question too many times which is definitely stupid and annoying, but not trolling.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In [2][/URL]

So I get what you're saying, that somebody has been posting similar stuff all over Yahoo Answers and that's annoying, but its not trolling. And I'm still not completely convinced that this story is even definitely that one. They're not exactly the same. When I say I've seen that type of thing before, I meant I've seen exact copy pasted trolling stories. I'm not going to ban the user or delete the thread, because the topic was completely legitimate, didn't offend anyone, and actually made for fair conversation. Plus I can't prove that its the same thing as on Yahoo answers, because all of those links lead to something similar but nothing really quite the same.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Over at Yahoo they sometimes have a different definition of a troll.
A troll there is also someone who post the same story or they change some variables of it over and over again over a long period of time, under different names and from different points of views.

Trust me this story is not legit.
Those kinds of parents who would do that kind of stuff don't usually come onto parenting forums much less the internet to talk about it. Those kinds of parents don't need justification in what they are doing because usually the ones like that don't care what others think.

Like my mom is one of those parents who do outrageous things that most sane people would not think of doing and she would never think of going to the internet for justification.