Daughter Copying Everything...

DadJay6988

Jul 21, 2014
My daughter is 4 years old and she is a great child, but lately she has been copying everything her older brothers do and say. Now my sons are really good about not doing anything too bad when she is around, but they are kids and do forget from time to time. Today we picked up my older son from his friends and while saying goodbye. he yelled " See ya F***head". He did say sorry because he didn't realize his sister was in the back.

But I hope this is just a faze, didn't go through this with the boys

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Hahaha! Well that is little more liberal language than my siblings and I used as kids. But other than that, mimicry shouldn't be a problem. All my kids did it at some point, but especially the third. When the older ones complain, I just remind them that that's how babies learn to talk, and they shouldn't get annoyed because they're helping to teach her. They seemed satisfied with that. Don't worry, she won't do it forever!

Tiffany01

Jul 12, 2014
<t>Sometimes children like to copy others’ 'unacceptable behavior'. But this is normal, as a 4 years old kids, she is growing up. It is kids nature to copying others. Don't worry, she will be ok by time.</t>

jimrich

PF Regular
Sep 13, 2014
DadJay6988 said:
My daughter is 4 years old and she is a great child, but lately she has been copying everything her older brothers do and say. Now my sons are really good about not doing anything too bad when she is around, but they are kids and do forget from time to time. Today we picked up my older son from his friends and while saying goodbye. he yelled " See ya F***head". He did say sorry because he didn't realize his sister was in the back.
But I hope this is just a faze, didn't go through this with the boys
You're the parent - set a good example!
I learned most of my bad language first from our dad, then from others in our family and finally from peers but my conditioning to appreciate and acquire bad language STARTED WITH OUR PARENTS, who often FAILED to correct our potty mouths as we grew older and more "nasty"!
It's amazing how so few parents can bring them self to admit what they do to their kids in little, innocent, daily ways! :rolleyes:

cybele said:
4yr olds descend from parrots, actually, I think the whole 2-10 age range descend from parrots.
LOL, and parrots descend from PARENTING!

Last edited:

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
Yes the boys need to watch there language, but you also need to teach the four year old that some words are for adults and bigger people only, and that those words are not nice to say and sometimes people let them slip out on accident.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I think parents should either practice what they preach, or just let the swearing fly.
It's always baffled me that my mom was perfectly okay with shouting out a few swears whenever something would drop or not go her way, or when calling me a 'B' on my b-day in front of my friends (never forgave her for that.). But whenever I swear for any reason she gasps and scolds me. Hypocrisy is a terrible parent.