Daughter is one of oldest in preschool class...

177ichael

Jul 31, 2008
Hello Everyone,

My daughter is one of the oldest in her preschool class and the question has come up between myself and my wife as to how this might impact her development. The reason the questions came up is because there are two classes for her designated age group. The other class has older kids, however, we feel this doesn't necessarily mean they are more advanced. One thing is for sure, our daughter is VERY happy in her current class and really enjoys going to school.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any information regarding age differences and the impact on child development at the preschool level? Any links to studies, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'm sitting at work right now, so don't really have the time to do lookups for you, however I'm sure you can find a ton on Google. I'll tell you though that if your daughter is excited to go to school and she's receiving a good education, then I wouldn't worry about her being a touch older. If she's receiving the same opportunities as other kids and isn't being held back, then all should be fine. You never know, down the line if she's advancing quickly, they might want to skip her a grade.

177ichael

Jul 31, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

I did google around for a while, but I am at work as well and do not have the time to do so either. During my googling, I couldn't find anything with any substance directly related to the topic. I thought someone else might have a direct link to a credible source, like a phd research paper or something similar. The reason why I came here was because my search turned up nothing.

I was also curious to hear other people's opinion who might have had similar experiences with their children going thru the same situation. We have the option to shift her into another class, but I don't know if having our daughter switch to another class just to be in the perceived "older/more advanced" class is worth breaking up something she truly enjoys in her current one. After all, she seems to be developing a fondness for school and her current classmates as it stands now. Furthermore, 2 half-days is not really that much time during the week and I understand many other variables go into the development of a child. I just want to make sure we're getting the most out of her school situation as we all pay good money for preschool..

Thanks again for the comments.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
sarushjr said:
I'll tell you though that if your daughter is excited to go to school and she's receiving a good education, then I wouldn't worry about her being a touch older. If she's receiving the same opportunities as other kids and isn't being held back, then all should be fine.
I'm a former teacher and mom with kids who went to preschool, and I totally agree with sarushjr's statements quoted above. :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
if she's happy leave her where she is. As long as you and your wife are happy about what she's learning and she's enjoying school everything will be just fine