Day care?...

Always-

Nov 29, 2008
Iowa
Is day care bad? A lot of the time (given my situation) it seems that day care really is the only option for us right now. I try to keep Violet with my parents as much as I can, but they both work full time, and I have school, of course, but I don't know if it's healthy for her to be growing up in a day care. Especially as young as seven months. What should I do to make sure I form the bond with her that I should form as her primary parent?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
it can be a good thing for a lot of kids. As parents we do the best we can and if daycare is what you need to do to make a better life for you and you daughter it isn't going to hurt her. Just make sure the time you do spend with her is quality

~ladyrev~

Nov 19, 2008
Iowa
My husband and I had no choice, but daycare for our girls. It was the safest environment that we could provide. My mother swears a lot and my mil smokes so both were not options for us. We chose a daycare center that doubled as a school setting. It wasn't cheap but our girls loved it. They learned a lot of things there and had wonderful experiences and learned the positive aspect of having "friends". They went on lots of fieldtrips and parents were invited to come along or join activities anytime and it was actually encouraged.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Just make suree that you really check out the day care and drop in unnannounced when you can. I had a lot of bad experiences growing up in day care as well as with private baby sitters. Just do your home work.

daphdaph

Banned
Nov 24, 2008
Personally, I think that as long as your child is younger than three years old, day care is not as preferable as having a babysitter. When your child is that young, they might not get enough individual attention at the center as opposed to a babysitter. Check out *REMOVED SITE LINK* there are a ton of babysitters on the site. If cost is a problem, try getting a few parents in your area to share the babysitter.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
daphdaph said:
Personally, I think that as long as your child is younger than three years old, day care is not as preferable as having a babysitter. When your child is that young, they might not get enough individual attention at the center as opposed to a babysitter. Check out *REMOVED SITE LINK* there are a ton of babysitters on the site. If cost is a problem, try getting a few parents in your area to share the babysitter.
honestly babysitters are more likely to harm your child then a good daycare center. Unless you know someone you really trust with the life your child you're much better off finding a center you trust. I would never consider using a site to find a sitter, but I'm over protective like that

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I hate the idea of babysitters. Eli is only ever watched by family, but that almost never happens either. He is almost always with either me or his dad at our house. I'm not saying it's bad to go to daycare though, I went to daycare or preschool from the time I was a tiny baby until I was in actual elementary school, you know? And I'm certainly fine. I can't remember anything bad about daycare or preschool, matter of fact I remember loving it. I will probably send Eli a couple days a week to day care or preschool as soon as he's like three or so just for the social aspect of it, and learning and stuff. It's a cool thing to do. I'm just retardedly over protective and don't have the money for it, plus we don't really need it so why bother.

I did however have some bad experiences with personal babysitters and still remember them, so be careful. There's nobody there to tell on them, you know? There's a lot of witnesses and certainly not all but definitely some good people at a daycare. Definitely look everything over very carefully though maybe sit in for a day or two to make sure you like it and like the people there and trust them with your baby. Drop by unnanounced. Keep tabs.

You do what you have to in order to make a good life for her, there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you really spend really close special time with her when you guys get home. She wont forget you, don't worry.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
As per the title, I wouldn't pidgeon hole ALL daycares, some are good, some are great, and some just plain suck.

K used to go to my cousin (in law)'s place (home daycare - 12 child max - by law) daily when I had a day job, and she was simply the best...everytime I dropped in she was doing crafts, playing outside, singing songs...and I even thought it was funny that when I'd try to make smalltalk with her and it was like she was ignoring me because she was just so focused on the kids. As well K was so excited every morning to get there...that's a really good sign.

Luckily for me as a music teacher to tons of local kids (some for many years now) I have an endless supply of babysitters who adore K, and I trust completely because I know them so personally.

Do your research and find someone or someplace that really is focused on the absolute wellbeing of the children.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree with the majority. Just dont be one of those parents who drop there kid off at the door and grab them to leave in a hurry. give your self some extra time at both ends to hang out and observe whats going on and from time to time do the "drop in"

I see so many kids going to kindergarden who just have complete meltdowns on the first week. By the time DD & DS went they already knew most of the kids in thier class and a lot of kids in the school. I think the seperation anxitiey is less of a big deal in day care than in school.

We only did day care a couple of times a week (gave my wife some alone time and a chance to recharge) . And DW also assisted for activities from time to time.

Bryan