Dealing with anxiety about parenting...

nathanbault

Jul 13, 2016
San Francisco, CA, USA
I'm good at doing my best and resting easy when I'm alone with my kids, but I get very anxious about them in social situations. My 5 year old son is strong willed, very physical, and likes to make people laugh. It's a rough combination--all three of those traits produce behaviors that have the potential to offend people and/or be against the rules. Any tips for dealing with this kind of anxiety?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Funny how it seems that people expect kids and parents to adapt to social occasions but not the other way around.
With your son, you may need to remind him to tone it down a bit. Perhaps have a talk with him about boundaries and the difference between appropriate humor and being offensive. Go over rules and expectations with your kids on how you expect them to behave. I think taking kids to formal settings is good to teach them social etiquette.
You can try role playing mock formal dinners for practice.

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
Nathan, is the issue his behavior or your anxiety? That's a key difference, b/c the response is much different. Also, you're not very clear about his exact behaviors....at 5, it's important to have reasonable expectations based on his development, rather than your needs. What's he doing?
A bit more background here will help get you more specific (and accurate) answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

GraceHunter

Jun 4, 2020
What type of Anxiety do you feel? You feel like not taking responsibility of your baby? Well, this the thing every new parents face, this is not a big issue. Not only New parents, but, the parents who care for the kids even after retirement stage face this type anxiety, depression disorders. No worries!! Like an eldercare lawyers are there to help the elderly parents for dealing with the anxiety at the age of 60's, you should also find-out someone to whom you can discuss the issues and can get a viable solution on it.

NatashaNen

Jun 25, 2020
I think it's normal for a 5 year to behave that way in public. But you can teach them the right etiquette though they will not immediately follow or understand you that's okay you just have to let them be kids. You can also try relaxation techniques or teach him friendship skills.