Dealing with picky eaters...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
<r>My four-year-old has a lot of stubborn issues with food. For some reason, eating is a chore to him, and he is extremely picky about what he will or will not eat. He is very against trying new foods, never finishes his plate, and doesn’t seem to understand the concept of getting a full belly. Certain textures gross him out, and his food has to be a certain temperature. Many tastes and smells just immediately turn him off. He is a very picky eater, and always has been ever since he was an infant. He has been refusing food from the time I started offering it to him, unless of course it was something sweet or salty, or otherwise not so good for him. Due to this, I have picked up a lot of experience on how to deal with a picky eater.<br/>
<br/>
Make food fun, and hide nutrition. Take otherwise boring and nutritious food and cut it into fun shapes, form it into a smiley face on the plate, or make it look in general more interesting (for instance, ants on a log). Sometimes you don’t even have to do anything special to the food, if you just call it by a fancy name. Super Hero Spaghetti and Monster Meatballs; Crazy Cool Chicken and Alien Green Beans (yes, I do have a lot of spare time). I have found that sometimes I can just make the food &lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;sound&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt; cool, and I can totally trick him into thinking that it &lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;is &lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt;cool. You would be amazed at what kind of fruits and veggies you can hide inside of practically any food. You can hide cauliflower, zucchini, and sweet potatoes in macaroni and cheese. You can hide spinach, broccoli, and peas inside of lasagna. You can even hide blueberries and spinach inside of brownies. It’s amazing! Not to mention a win/win situation. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;IMG src="http://terrificparenting.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fussy_eater_kid.jpg"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/IMG&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Let them help you make the food, and give them a set amount of required bites. I have found that when I let my son help me cook the meal as much as possible, that he is much more interested in eating it when it’s done. When he has a real hand in making it, and gets himself all worked up and excited about it, the food suddenly becomes something that he is proud of and has much more of a serious interest in. He likes to talk about how he made it, and how he did such a good job, and how it is going to be so yummy. I also give him a number of bites to eat before he finishes. He will ask if he can be done (after eating pretty much nothing) and I will tell him to eat three more bites. Or if there are a few things on his plate, I will tell him to eat a certain number of bites of each thing. This way, he doesn’t feel overwhelmed about the thought of “finishing his plate” or the unknown of how much he might have to eat before I will approve. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
One important thing to remember is to not make a big deal out of it. Please don’t get upset or stressed out, and don’t let your child come to relate mealtime with anxiety and frustration. This can only make the problem worse, and make things harder on you than they have to be. Remember that it is not so important what your kids eat in one day. Try to look at what they have eaten in a week instead, because it can really help put things in a better perspective. If your child has gotten a reasonable amount of variety and nutrition in the past week, then they are probably doing okay. There’s no need to make mealtime into a battle, crying and punishments will only exacerbate the problem. Eventually they will grow out of it, and until then just be understanding and know that it is very common and very normal.&lt;/r&gt;

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
All good advice.

When I was a kid I had neighbors that were a foster family. I think the most kids they had at one time was 13.

Occasionally I would eat at their house. The meal and its preparation was very structured. I will leave that for another post.

They didn't have big issues with picky eaters which was good because as you can imagine they also didn't have much time to cater to each child.

The rule (of course with 13 kids rules were strictly enforced.) A small portion of everything on the table went on your plate. Then (the kicker) No seconds on anything until all of the first servings were eaten. It was very effective, even with me. I love homemade bread and would clear my plate to get some more. Or any of the other delicious homemade foods they had.

Just my 2 cents

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Pleased to say that our granddaughter is not a picky eater, she loves her food &amp; has rather a sophisticated </SIZE>[/FONT]taste for a young girl.

One thing that she doesn't like is tomatoes. I know that they have loads of nutrients, she loves tomato sauce. I make a veggie lasagne which is layered with a tomato sauce/puree, soups I will add a tin of tomatoes. She is unaware that she is eating them. Amazing what we do to make our little ones eat the right sort of foods.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That is really smart, bssage. :) They had the right idea. I grew up in a big foster family myself, and my mom was also very strict about mealtimes. We always had to eat a reasonable amount, but we were also not allowed to pig out. If we didn't like what was cooked, we had usually a couple of alternatives. We could have leftovers from the night before, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or some other similar alternative. The ones my mom used are slipping my mind at the moment, but looking back I feel it was fair. It was also very important that you stay at the table until you were done, and that you asked to be excused before getting up.

Sally - That's so nice that you have a good eater! I am so jealous haha. It is too funny how hard we sometimes try to hide nutritious things in our kids' food. :p

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Xero

What I find that really works if granddaughter says she has had enough. If there is any food left on her plate, I will divide it, one half being smaller than the other, she then has the option of deciding which portion she'll select. Works on a two level tier, gives her responsibility &amp; stops the arguments when I say "just two more mouthfuls."

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That sounds like a good idea too, Sally! I will have to give that a try. I'm always looking for new ways to get this boy to eat haha.

Aylaissi

PF Regular
Nov 18, 2011
Small cookie cutters can be your best friend! You can cut most foods into the shapes the appeal most to your child.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I completely agree, Aylaissi!! I have used them before myself, my ODS just loves them!!

rocknrollmommy

Dec 9, 2011
I agree about making food fun. I love the cookie cutter idea. Also, I always serve SOMETHING my children all like. For example, they all like corn on the cob so if we are having something new or that they won't be so excited about I serve corn on the cob with it (or something else) and they have to eat everything on their plate before they get seconds...they will want more corn on the cob.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's a great idea too, making sure to serve something they like. It makes it fair enough that since they have something they like, they can try something they're not sure of too. :)

Dec 10, 2011
If you end up with a child who is a picky eater, you can put to work some important tactics as you continue to feed and work with your finicky child. In fact, dealing with selective eaters can be frustrating, and parents often make situations worse by letting their emotions get in the mix.

<SIZE size="125">Be consistent</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">
</SIZE><SIZE size="125">Defuse the stress</SIZE>

i think this will help you lot..

Organic Baby Product
Baby Skin Care Product

Ruben Padilla

Dec 9, 2011
Los Angeles / San Diego CA
When my son was younger, I had much success with a bit of reverse psychology:

<I>It's very important that I watch everything you eat, Knight. So please don't taste this food when I'm not looking, because then I might lose count. Whatever you do, don't take a bite when I'm not looking."</I>

Said with a smile, this doesn't send mixed messages. He knew I was having fun (and that's so important!).

I'd turn my head, he'd sneak a bite, and then I'd turn around.

<I>"Wait a minute! It looks like there's less food on your plate! Are you chewing something? How many bites was that? I'm losing count! I'll make sure I don't look away again!</I>

(Look away again)...

<I>Was that another bite? I don't know what number I'm on! I must see everything! Let's start over! Zero bites! Okay?</I>

And repeat.

I once had a parent wonder out loud if this was potentially damaging - to insists that a child not do something, and then allow him to actually do it, with no repercussions.

I wondered about this too - but only for a minute.

We're talking about vegetables, here. Done with a smile and playful attitude, kids get it - and they love it.

And now - several years later, there's no harmful residue. In fact, he doesn't even really remember how I got him to enjoy vegetables.

He just does...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
I am a picky eater myself and i'm proud of it. :D here are some of my points.

1) DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. A lot of parents act this way -- if a child eats well "Oh, I'm so proud", if the opposite "What did I do wrong?" or even better "He/she is defying my authority by refusing to eat". Then they turn it into a power struggle and that's NOT a way to go about a healthy diet.

2) IF THEY'RE NOT HUNGRY. Or they really dislike it. Let them be. Unless it is a serious medical condition or a very strict diet. It is just wrong to force onself to eat more when not hungry, and then "reward" with even more food (the desert). Then we wonder why obesity and eating disorders are on epidemic levels.

3) WHAT ABOUT YOUR COOKING SKILLS? No offense to anyone, but it seems so popular for a modern day mother to hate the kitchen. So what kind of food you can make if you hate it? Learn to cook, and it will be a pleasure for everyone.

4) HEALTHY FOOD CAN BE TASTY. Yesterday I went to a vegan food presentation. oh wow. You can make incredible things with the most simple ingredients and very little time. Veggies don't have to be bland. Just find a way to make them right ;)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Ruben - That's a really cute idea! Kids are very responsive to that kind of playful behavior. I know my son would love that, and he would probably play along. I should give it a try. I don't see anything harmful in it at all. :)

TabascoNatalie - I can't agree with you more! Thank you for adding your great points.

momof3girls

Dec 12, 2011
when my 3 year old was starting out on solids we went through an almost 3 month peroid where ALL she ate was diced ham fruit ( of any sort) and string cheese. Now thankfully she eats most things. and will try a new food atleast twice before deciding she doesn't like it (House rule) My 18 month old on the other hand eats any and everything.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I have been through times like that with my four-year-old, momof3girls!! I sure hope my little guy is more like your 18-month-old, and he likes everything! :)

cruithne86

Feb 4, 2012
i think taste buds are pre programmed... i m 32 years old and still cant eat lots of vegetables.. infact i can count vegetables that i eat on my fingers..
my mom tried really hard but i just couldnt eat.. i just cant yet.
so i belive try to figure out healthy diet in wat ever kid is eating is best..
i remember for sake of judo i did eat boiled vegies for few days.. thats about it..