Deciding on Seconds...

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
How long did you wait between having more then one child?

Why did you decide to wait that amount of time?

DH and I are trying to decide when to have our second child, and neither of us can decide at all!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
There really is no *right* time. My older two are 11 months apart (no planning..more like surprise) then 2 of them (not bio) are almost the same age, then there is a huge gap between the older and the younger, they are (the younger ones) 2-3 years apart. Each is different, when we had #5 we thought we were done, but then we realized that the older kids had each other growing up so he needed a playmate, so along came #6, then the last was a sorda oops, but my husband still wanted one more so for him no biggy.

I always say you know when it is the right time, just don't over think it otherwise it may never happen.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
there are 4 yrs between my daughter and her brother but there will only be 2 1/2 yrs between my son and the next one. The first 2 weren't really planned and with this one I actually got pregnant in the month I had been planning but one yr earlier...lol I had thought I wanted 3 1/2 yrs between them

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with Mom2Many for sure, you'll know when you're ready and when the time is right. That's kind of what I'm telling myself lol!!! But I'm going through the same things right now too, so you're not alone. BF and I can't decide either. I know Eli will be at least three, because that's when my BC runs up and that was the minimum age in my mind. I've actually heard from most people that 3yrs apart is supposed to be "perfect" or something, but who really knows. For me it's either 3 years or 5 years. I like to think I'll wait until Eli is in Kindergarden because then he'll be gone the first half of the day where I can give all my attention to the baby and then I can focus on him my best when he gets home. Plus he'll be older and more understanding and independent by then, so I like that idea. But I don't know if I'll be able to wait lol. It will probably be sooner than that. :p

Good luck deciding!!

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
My daughter is exactly (well, almost, there are 4 days between their birthdays) 2 years younger. I have always known that if I was going to have one child I would want a second one. I am an only child and in my case it kind of went a little wrong:rolleyes:

As I am not a huge fan of babies, changing diapers, not sleeping through the night and so on, I wanted them close n order not to have to restart again onde the older one got in a nicer age. So I just waited until I finished breastfeeding and then we started to try for a second one. It worked out after about six months.

For us, the two years difference worked out very well so far. Let's see if I'll be still saying this once the get into adolescence at the same time:skeptical:

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
My two are 2.5 years apart. Why we decided on that age, no idea. I was just ready for a second and I had finally convinced DH that we should start trying again.

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
There are 2 years between Bailey and Hunter. It seems like one because right now Bailey is seventeen and Hunter is eighteen but there birthdays are close. Hunter will be nineteen in a month. And then there is ten years between Bailey and Alexis. And 12 years between Hunter and Lex. There will be 7 years between Alexis and the twins. I mean Hunter wasn't a planned baby. But we knew when we were ready to have Bailey. We just felt that Hunter needed a playmate and we would like another baby. Alexis wasn't planned either. But when we found out I was pregnant, we were ecstatic and realized that it happened for a reason. I can't imagine my life without my Alexis. Now after she was born, we were certain, we were done having babies. We had our three beautiful children and that was all. We thought about surgery to get one of us you know, fixed... but we never did it. And now we are having two more children. We're happy but we're getting older and I don't know how easy it's going to be for us this time. To raise two more children from scratch, all over again. After these twins are born, one of us is getting the surgery. I'm sorry, I know I really ramble a lot. I just like talking about my kids and I just find it really interesting hearing about all the experience. I'm sorry for all these long posts. I just have a lot to say.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
well i told hubby if he or i wanted any more kids after emmy, then he'd better knock me up b4 i turn 30. lol. chloe was born 3 days b4 my 30th birthday and she's a hair over 2 yrs. younger than emmy.
tubes was tied the same time the c-section was done, and no more on the way. i can handle morning sickness, swelling feet, cravings, etc. but the hormones even wore me out and they still do. lol

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
We don't plan, we let things happen naturally, my wife has PCOS though, otherwise we would have an army by now! From having our own with large age gaps and those who are very close, our own and foster child are a year apart and out of everyone they are definitely the closest, if we were able to to choose, we would choose a two year gap at most. There will be at least 3 years between our youngest and our next baby if we can have one before we turn 40, otherwise it will stay as five.