Depression during pregnancy...

sadinplaid

PF Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2007
Georgia
I know the easy crying spells are a pretty normal pregnancy issue, but I feel pretty depressed a lot of the time. I'm just a few weeks away from delivering, and as horrible as this sounds, all the excitement I've had has almost completely dwindled to the point where I'm not that excited about being a mom anymore. I'm more worried than anything else. It was so hard for me to pretend to give a crap when my girlfriend threw me a baby shower a couple weeks ago. I've been avoiding my phone and don't want to go anywhere. Shouldn't I be "nesting" right now, all rediculous-happy getting ready for my daughter to get here? I'm too ashamed that I feel this way to talk to my husband about it. Any advice?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I wasn't depressed while I was pregnant, but I do have clinical depression and I had PPD. It's going to be very important for you to talk about it because if you don't and you have that baby, your depression will likely get a lot worse. Trust me. Talk to your doctor and also your friends and family. I know the feeling of being ashamed and feeling guilty but you need to talk.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I also had post pardum depression, I carried twin girls. I know its common with woman carrying girl babies.
I don't know if I was depressed per se.
Don't be scared. It all goes by fairly quick and the reward is worth everything you go through. Don't push your friends away if you can help it. You will need them there once you are settled. This is an important time for them as well. Good luck.
ps. I never nested.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it might be depression sure, but it might not be. You should definately talk to someone about it, your mom a sister, a friend someone. I never had the nesting instinct. The only instict I had was "get her out of me!!!" lol
Being worried about the upcoming delivery and the whole raising of the child can be very scary even for woman who are not depressed. But seriously talk to someone. Mention it to your doctor at the next appointment. If you are depressed then you need to try to get it worked out as quickly as possible. ANd yes you can still nurse your baby even if you are on anti-depresents, so don't feel that you have to decide

parentinzen

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
I agree. You should talk to someone. It will be a lot easier to mention it to your doctor than you think. Just bring it up at your next appointment, and I'm sure they will let you know if what you are feeling are normal ups and downs or something more serious. I also think that after you have the baby, what you are feeling could get a lot worse. It is better to take care of it now, while you are noticing it then to wait until you have a little one to care for!
-Amy
http://www.parentingzen.com

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
All women handle pregnancy differently. I'm guessing it's just the hormones. It's better to just talk to someone about it. I suggest a counselor. I had some issues afterwards, and now I'm not 100% better but I'm getting there. :) Never be scared to go and talk to someone if you're not feeling yourself for long periods of time.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I thought I had depression when I was pregnant with Bug, but my doctor told me it was anxiety. Not sure how that is, when all I did was cry, but I guess that's why he makes the big bucks?

Anyway, hang in there and find someone you can talk to.